Can't Acquire any satellites. (D@#% Roofers!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

givemetoro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Okay guys, I'm down right frustrated right now! My land lord had roofers come and reroof our apartment on Thursday, and when they bolted my satelitte dish down they bolted facing NORTH! I went out Friday and switched it around and was only able to pick up satellite 110 (and only at 90%) 101 and 119 were completely missing, so I changed all the settings to where they SHOULD be (probably a mistake) and ever since then I can't even get 110, I can see none of the satelittes!

My receiver is an HR21-200 and I have the slimline dish, at one point it took me through the original setup (not sure how I got there) and I put down that I had a 5 LNB dish, but after looking I only have 3 LNB's on the dish. Could that be part of my problem? How do I get back into the setup menu?

Any advice at all? Any Help?

The 5LNB setting is correct. If you look closely at the 101 LNB (the one in line with the arm) it will look like there are three separate windows or eyes in it.

As to your current problem, did you make sure the mast was perfectly plumb before doing your adjustments? Replumb the mast, and reset your dish to the defaults for your zipcode. You will then need some assistance to sector the sky looking for the sats.

Or you can call D* and tell them what happened and see if they will send a tech out to realign the dish.

One other thing to consider...are you sure the roofers didn't damage the reflector or the LNB/arm assembly when they removed it? Sometimes they can be pretty careless in handling equipment like that.

When they re bolted the mast they probably didn't do any of the following SO...........
1. Loosen the rear bolts that clamp the dish to the mast..remove the dish from the mast.
2. Make the mast "plumb." Do whatever you have to do to make the mast exactly both plumb and secure to the roof. Assume it won't leak. First use the side bolts on the base to get it close. Use a level.
Bend the sucker! Force if plumb. Bend it or shim the mounting bolts. Get it done.
3.Replace the dish and swing it to the approximate LOS (line of sight) that had been used.
4.Tighten the rear bolts enough to make the dish snug to the mast without binding...yet.
5.Set you receiver to MENU and SETUP and VIEW SAT SIGNALS or METERS. Select 101 satellite.
6. Have someone watch your set while you are on the roof. Communicate by cell. If possible turn up the volume and hear the the signal meter.
7. When you hear the signal work SLOWLY to reset the dish to a max signal. Slowly tighten while observing the signal. After peaking the 101 give a little push west. Check the 103 c on the signal meter.
8. You probably won't have to mess with the tilt and elevation settings. (Assume they didn't bend it or screw with the settings)
9. Report success.
NOTE: If the eq was damaged (as IWC suggests) or has roofing crap on it........and you have the DTV protection plan.........call DTV.
Joe

Last edited:
Okay, how do I get back to the Initial Setup menu? I started thinking about it and I'm not sure as to whether I ended up going with the 5 LNB setting or the 3 LNB setting...

Actually all I have in menu is "Signal Strength" but I found out that I can get to that menu by holding down the info button... I had it set to 5LNB and I don't get any signal, so I'm going to mess with it for alittle while and probably end up calling Direct TV tomorrow... *sigh*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)