can't cancel service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

catman60

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
michigan
my daughter lives in the detroit area.she moved to a new house and decided to go with sbc ,internet,phone and direct tv package. she called them and ordered it. 2 days later she decided she didn't want to do it. she called to cancel and they told here she couldn't cancel.they haven't been to the house yet and she hasen't signed any contract. how can they do this?

my daughter lives in the detroit area.she moved to a new house and decided to go with sbc ,internet,phone and direct tv package. she called them and ordered it. 2 days later she decided she didn't want to do it. she called to cancel and they told here she couldn't cancel.they haven't been to the house yet and she hasen't signed any contract. how can they do this?

She decided to cancel the D* ?

They CAN'T keep here from canceling if it hasn't been installed yet.
Is she going to get the U-Verse TV instead ?

she want's to go with comcast cable,phone and internet package. the house is set up in all the rooms for cable

She can wait for her install date and tell the installer she will not be needing the service and they should at that time cancel her package since she will be refusing a install.

Tell your daughter to also watch her credit card statement. They may have obtained her card info when she ordered and they may have already extracted a payment.

Joe

This is not possible. When I signed up a year ago. I was told I could cancel any time up to install day. If I tell them do not install they will cancel and credit any charge I may have taken for Equipment. I would suggest she contact the Credit Card Company or Bank that she used to set up and alert them to watch for Directv or SBC charges.

They can't. Someone has their head up their you know what. It's probably someone at AT&T who is telling them that. Not DirecTV. AT&T handles the bundling side. She will need to talk to a supervisor at AT&T.

She can dispute any CC charges, but if it were me, I would call the credit card company and report the card as lost. Have them cancel it and issue a new one. Nothing to dispute then.

They put a $25.00 hold on cc to see if it's any good & then lift hold within 3-5 business days. They will not start charging any subscription fees until activated. Regardless of what any csr, rep, dingbat or anybody else says, there is absolutely nothing from preventing someone from changing their mind & cxling the install. Don't be bullied into thinking otherwise.

I wouldn't even bother to call then and argue with them over cancelling your appointment. I wouldn't even waste my time calling to cancel because all they are going to do is send you to their winback department and give you 1001 reasons why you should not cancel, just like they just did by trying to tell you, that you can't cancel your appointment.

Just don't let them in your house if they show up at your door, and if they call you to confirm the appointment, tell them you want to cancel.

Bottom line, If they can't get in your house, then they can't install it. If they can't install it, then your not under a contract and they have to cancel the order.

I wouldn't even bother to call then and argue with them over cancelling your appointment. I wouldn't even waste my time calling to cancel because all they are going to do is send you to their winback department and give you 1001 reasons why you should not cancel, just like they just did by trying to tell you, that you can't cancel your appointment.

Just don't let them in your house if they show up at your door, and if they call you to confirm the appointment, tell them you want to cancel.

Bottom line, If they can't get in your house, then they can't install it. If they can't install it, then your not under a contract and they have to cancel the order.

Everybody here is making this out to be a BIGGER deal than it really is.

Simply call then back and tell them you changed your mind, since it's before the install date there should be no problem, no need to put holds on CC's or change cards and such.

If the installer does get out to the house before the cancel gets to him, which happens, simply tell them you changed your mind.
However, IF they send a installer out to your house, they CAN charge you a TRIP charge, if they decide to.
MOST installers will NOT charge the Trip Charge, and just move on.
But the company CAN charge you because they sent out a vehicle.

Last edited:
Everybody here is making this out to be a BIGGER deal than it really is.

Simply call then back and tell them you changed your mind, since it's before the install date there will be no problem, no need to put holds on CC's or change cards and such.

If the installer does get out to the house before the cancel gets to him, which happens, simply tell them you changed your mind.
However, IF they send a installer out to your house, they CAN charge you a TRIP charge, if they decide to.
MOST installers will NOT charge the Trip Charge, and just move on.
But the company CAN charge you because they sent out a vehicle.

I think you are missing the point, the OP did call and they refused.

They ordered a bundled package. If they don't resolve it quickly they will have phone service installed as well.

They CANNOT charge a trip charge. They can try, but you can tell them to pound sand. You cannot charge someone for attempting to install something. Unless work is done, you can't charge someone for the drive out there...

Oh, and one more thing Jimbo....since my Beavers lost, I'll be chearing my other Oregon team at the Rose Bowl....GO DUCKS!!!!

I was under the assumption it's 72 hrs after activation? So you're saying officially it's 24?

A nothing I say if Offical or endorsed by Directv. What I will say is that I am not in cancelations but the Early Cancelation fee tool that helps you figure out if a ECF is required or not says has customer had service less then 24 hours yes no fee ,, no then there is a fee. Now I know in some states there is a longer grace period. So you might live in a state that has a 72 hour grace period.

I think you are missing the point, the OP did call and they refused.

They ordered a bundled package. If they don't resolve it quickly they will have phone service installed as well.

They CANNOT charge a trip charge. They can try, but you can tell them to pound sand. You cannot charge someone for attempting to install something. Unless work is done, you can't charge someone for the drive out there...

Oh, and one more thing Jimbo....since my Beavers lost, I'll be chearing my other Oregon team at the Rose Bowl....GO DUCKS!!!!

OH YES they can ....
It may not be the right thing to do, but if they send out a tech and truck, thats generally $ 150. per trip to send a guy out.
I'm not saying that they would charge you $ 150, thats the cost of rolling the truck.

WE have a Trip charge of about $ 80, then again, usually we won't charge it if you just say, "hey we decided to cancel, or that we called and canceled", but if the company wanted to, they COULD charge the trip charge to everyone they roll a truck to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts