Can't channel up/down sometimes randomly for no particular reason

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Brand new 922 receiver. The remote is working fine (other commands work).

Randomly, for no particular reason, the receiver refuses to respond to a channel up or down. It just flat out refuses to change channels. I have to "browse" or go to the guide and pick the next channel up or down, then it's fine.

Happens with both live TV and paused TV from the buffer.

They quit making the 922,it's probably a refurb.Either way it's a buggy receiver,only suggestion I can offer is to re-boot it.

The box says "New" all over it. Everything was nice and sealed. It was cheaper than a 722, I guess we know why.

It has done it on both remotes, I don't think the problem is with the physical remotes.

I bought the receiver and dish and installed myself because I knew my apartment building was going to be torn down soon and didn't want to sign a contract. As of December 17th 2013 Comcast can not sell/refuses to sell service to the building. I was previously an "unusually satisfied" Comcast customer (because I used my own TiVo with cable card, and not their junk DVR they offered at the time, this is before X1 though).

As of today I learned that the building was sold so I know I'll be evicted soon. I just need some TV service for a few months. Seems like 3 or 4 years after the 922 came out it should be working well enough. It's not like the receiver misses timers or anything, no huge bugs, just these little pissant bugs that really should have been worked out some time ago.

Yup there is a reason they quit making them. I would say you can either call for a service call and they could give you a new one even though it's purchased. Or you could just wait it out for a few months then just upgrade when you have a more permanent home.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is definitely not a remote problem, it is a receiver problem. Right now it is not letting me change the channel, so I went up to the actual unit and tried the front panel buttons, they don't work either for channel up/down. Every other button works. This has to be the stupidest bug I've seen so far but at least the workaround is easy.

Someone asked why a 922 and not a Hopper, but they deleted their post.

I live alone, my bedroom TV (10 year old CRT) just mirrors the living room TV (nice HDTV). Hopper doesn't make much sense. 722 and 922 have the RF modulator built in, and I can change the receiver to Duo mode in case I want my TVs to show different programs for some reason. No additional monthly fees.

922 was also cheaper than the Hopper or the 722 to buy outright. Like I said I only expect to have service for a few months until I am evicted and they demolish this building to build more handbag shops and overpriced condos. Who knows if my new apartment will have a southern view required for DBS? They almost certainly will not be as permissive as my current landlord in regards to installing the dish. They basically just told me to do "whatever I had to do", knowing full well it won't matter if I drill some big ass holes in their building since it will be torn down anyway. I got this in writing too, the only thing I'm liable for is if the dish falls off and damages someone else's property.

You have a Vizio TV don't you? (There are other posts about this and all flatscreens can cause but Vizio TV seems to be the worst.) When your TV goes into low power mode, it emits interference that messes with the RF receiver in the box. Get the receiver as far away and as far 'in front' as possible. That will help reduce the problem you are seeing.

I had a similar issue. In my case it was clearly the fault of a defective remote. I replaced it and the problem went away. On another DISH remote digits 7,8 and 9 stopped responding. I replaced that one as well. After a bit of coaxing I was only charged shipping for one.

You have a Vizio TV don't you? (There are other posts about this and all flatscreens can cause but Vizio TV seems to be the worst.) When your TV goes into low power mode, it emits interference that messes with the RF receiver in the box. Get the receiver as far away and as far 'in front' as possible. That will help reduce the problem you are seeing.

Yeah, it is a Vizio. Is low power mode when the TV is "off" (but still really on since the Vizio logo is lit up)?

I can only put the receiver as far away as my longest HDMI cable. There's a closet right behind the TV, I could stab some holes in the wall and put the receiver in there (I can do a lot of interesting things in this apartment now that I know it's being demolished, you should see how I ran my ethernet to the receiver :whistle:). I could also put it on a shelf off to the side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)