Cant connect to receiver w/wireless bridge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daveyboy2579

Original poster
May 11, 2009
NY
I have two Netgear WNR834Bv2 wireless routers. Both have DD-WRT mini firmware on them. One is main router and one is setup as a wireless bridge for use with my Directv HR22 DVR. The bridge is setup with a static ip. Before you ask i have tested the wireless bridge and it works fine when using a laptop. However when i go to setup the HR22 receiver i get the "not connected to the internet error". Its plugged into ethernet 1 on the receiver and the lights are on. In advanced setup i manually entered this:

ip address: 192.168.1.50 (this is the static ip i set on the bridge router)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (main router ip)
dns: 192.168.1.1

i not very experieced in all this but unless im missing something im pretty sure i entered all this correctly. Any idea what i could do to get it working.

the IP on the receiver needs to be different than that of the bridge.
I have my receiver setup to a dd-wrt wireless bridge and it works fine - i have it grab a static dhcp lease though.

To add to what bigbambo said about having a different IP...

I also set my bridge's DNS to match my ISPs DNS server and NOT my router. Otherwise I'm setup like you with 2 routers and one as a switch/bridge and all using static IPs for 4 boxes, 5 PCs, 3 Xbox and a Wii! (I love playing with my Wii!) :p

you're right, i do need to have a different ip than my bridged router. Im kinda a newbie to all this but im learning quick. question though, how do i assign the directv dvr an ip address? its not like my laptop where i go into the tcp/ip properties and assign it a static ip to connect to the bridge? are there any other settings i need to set in the dd-wrt control panel

I installed DD-WRT on a router a couple of days ago and it looks like I had a problem similar to yours. The router acting as a bridge would work fine connected to my laptop but it would not work connected to any other devices (playstation, bluray). DD-WRT v24 SP1, which was installed on the bridge, has a bug that in some cases prevents the DHCP server from working properly. This glitch is what prevented the other devices from connecting properly. I downgraded the firmware to DD-WRT v.23 and it completely solved the problem. Also does the HR22 have a setting for automatic ip address acquisition? I don't see why you would need to manually enter the ip address.

He said he is using static IPs so I assume he has disabled DHCP so he WOULD have to setup an IP for every device on his network. If not, don't use a static IP and the main router will assign one.

you're right, i do need to have a different ip than my bridged router. Im kinda a newbie to all this but im learning quick. question though, how do i assign the directv dvr an ip address? its not like my laptop where i go into the tcp/ip properties and assign it a static ip to connect to the bridge? are there any other settings i need to set in the dd-wrt control panel

You should not have to do anything with dd-wrt unless you limited your IP range, or use "mac only" settings.

On the D* box: Menu -> setup/favs/etc., -> setup -> network -> advanced settings.

set your IP, DNS and everything else. As long as the IP is withing the standard range you have in the router (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.255.255) per your post, you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I got it working. I just had to set the ip address on the HR22 to anything other than the bridge ip address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts