Cant connect to receiver w/wireless bridge

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

daveyboy2579

Original poster
May 11, 2009
NY
I have two Netgear WNR834Bv2 wireless routers. Both have DD-WRT mini firmware on them. One is main router and one is setup as a wireless bridge for use with my Directv HR22 DVR. The bridge is setup with a static ip. Before you ask i have tested the wireless bridge and it works fine when using a laptop. However when i go to setup the HR22 receiver i get the "not connected to the internet error". Its plugged into ethernet 1 on the receiver and the lights are on. In advanced setup i manually entered this:

ip address: 192.168.1.50 (this is the static ip i set on the bridge router)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1 (main router ip)
dns: 192.168.1.1

i not very experieced in all this but unless im missing something im pretty sure i entered all this correctly. Any idea what i could do to get it working.

the IP on the receiver needs to be different than that of the bridge.
I have my receiver setup to a dd-wrt wireless bridge and it works fine - i have it grab a static dhcp lease though.

To add to what bigbambo said about having a different IP...

I also set my bridge's DNS to match my ISPs DNS server and NOT my router. Otherwise I'm setup like you with 2 routers and one as a switch/bridge and all using static IPs for 4 boxes, 5 PCs, 3 Xbox and a Wii! (I love playing with my Wii!) :p

you're right, i do need to have a different ip than my bridged router. Im kinda a newbie to all this but im learning quick. question though, how do i assign the directv dvr an ip address? its not like my laptop where i go into the tcp/ip properties and assign it a static ip to connect to the bridge? are there any other settings i need to set in the dd-wrt control panel

I installed DD-WRT on a router a couple of days ago and it looks like I had a problem similar to yours. The router acting as a bridge would work fine connected to my laptop but it would not work connected to any other devices (playstation, bluray). DD-WRT v24 SP1, which was installed on the bridge, has a bug that in some cases prevents the DHCP server from working properly. This glitch is what prevented the other devices from connecting properly. I downgraded the firmware to DD-WRT v.23 and it completely solved the problem. Also does the HR22 have a setting for automatic ip address acquisition? I don't see why you would need to manually enter the ip address.

He said he is using static IPs so I assume he has disabled DHCP so he WOULD have to setup an IP for every device on his network. If not, don't use a static IP and the main router will assign one.

you're right, i do need to have a different ip than my bridged router. Im kinda a newbie to all this but im learning quick. question though, how do i assign the directv dvr an ip address? its not like my laptop where i go into the tcp/ip properties and assign it a static ip to connect to the bridge? are there any other settings i need to set in the dd-wrt control panel

You should not have to do anything with dd-wrt unless you limited your IP range, or use "mac only" settings.

On the D* box: Menu -> setup/favs/etc., -> setup -> network -> advanced settings.

set your IP, DNS and everything else. As long as the IP is withing the standard range you have in the router (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.255.255) per your post, you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I got it working. I just had to set the ip address on the HR22 to anything other than the bridge ip address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)