Can't Delete Protected Recordingss Moved To EHD

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
After pulling my hair out for 20 minutes with support who keeps telling me its a hard drive issue and I am saying its a software issue, I decided to post here. This is happening on both my 612 and 622. I can not delete anything I protected prior to transfer. Things not protected first, no problem. I tried restore and they are not moved, they are copied. The copy is protected. Repeatedly told the lady on the phone, and her supervisor (who I think was her pretending to be a supervisor) this is a software bug and all I get from them is that this is not a Dish issue, they don't support EHD/hardware. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad: How can we get this to the people that write the software and past the numb skulls answering the phone??

Called again. This time asked if they have a way of submitting a report on a possible software bug. She took all the info including the software version on the 622 which is L627RBDD-N. Keeping my fingers crossed they fix it, I am deleting movies as I am getting them on BD,

This bug has been there a long time and is something I wish would be fixed. I have learned to check to make sure that a show is not protected before copying it to the EHD. Otherwise, you have to copy it back to the internal drive so that you can change it to unprotected; then it will allow you to delete it. (Really annoying)!!

Also, I have experienced another bug (but not recently) where shows on the EHD are protected, but I never set them to be protected (the 722 set them to protected all by itself).

This bug has been there a long time and is something I wish would be fixed. I have learned to check to make sure that a show is not protected before copying it to the EHD. Otherwise, you have to copy it back to the internal drive so that you can change it to unprotected; then it will allow you to delete it. (Really annoying)!!

Also, I have experienced another bug (but not recently) where shows on the EHD are protected, but I never set them to be protected (the 722 set them to protected all by itself).

When I restore it doesn't move it from the EHD, it only copies it to the DVR HD.

The only cases of copying and thus duplicating that I have heard of involved broken EHD models, Seagate? or other odd models. I normally mark all my recordings that I have verified as to being a full recording with protected status. I then copy them to the EHD and have had not problem deleting them nor in copying them. Protected or not, when copied back they are protected again. Maybe you have a lock on protected status or the channels are locked?
-Ken

The only cases of copying and thus duplicating that I have heard of involved broken EHD models, Seagate? or other odd models. I normally mark all my recordings that I have verified as to being a full recording with protected status. I then copy them to the EHD and have had not problem deleting them nor in copying them. Protected or not, when copied back they are protected again. Maybe you have a lock on protected status or the channels are locked?
-Ken

Its happening on both my 612 and 622. I am using Western Digital My Book Home Edition 750 GB, a proven EHD used by many Dish customers. They are about 1 1/2 years old. Here is the model:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGQ68C/ref=wms_ohs_product"]Amazon.com: Western Digital My Book Home Edition 750 GB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDH1CS7500N: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11ycjzjs97L.@@AMEPARAM@@11ycjzjs97L[/ame]

I think this is software, and it might be something on new software since you tried it last. It makes sense for recordings not being erased off the EHD after copying, it won't let it be erased. Restore does not erase the EHD recording until its been fully copied. That again goes back to the issue of not being able to erased off the EHD because the recording is protected.

Last edited:
I have current L627 and these older HDDs
Western Digital 750GB External Hard Drive $180 $194.16 BB 8/26/07
Western Digital 750GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External $170 11/24/07
Western Digital 750GB My Book Essential Edition II USB 2.0 External $160 3/3/08
Western Digital 750GB My Book Essential Edition USB 2.0 $150 Buy 5/27/2008
Western Digital 750GB My Book Essential Edition USB 2.0 $127 Buy 8/13/08
I just restored 2 series episodes recorded in April and had no problem deleting them in Edit now.
They, of course, all come back "protected" to prevent overwriting, perhaps.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts