Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Scott,
I was attempting to add to a post I made over in the Conan vs. Leno thread in the Pub and when I tried to save my edit, this is what I saw (see attachment). How long has this restriction been in place?

I can understand prohibiting changes after a couple of days, but fifteen minutes? Did something happen that I haven't read yet?

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 212
the edit time was 15 minutes for the longest time. Then a glitch happened and it was changed to something really out of the ordinary.

looks like Scott fixed the glitch :)

You mean I'm going to have to turn off my TV while reading SatelliteGuys.US? That ain't gonna happen...

I liked the old way better. I am easily distracted and tend to compose my posts in several passes, editing to make it easier to read (with varying success). I guess this will increase my post count as I make my retractions to my other posts instead of being able to fix them.

Last edited:
I multi task so much I make tons of mistakes with my posts. I know why there has to be some limit but the notification of change is telling on me;) lol

Yeah, I thought this was like 30 days until I started the UFL 2009 Season thread and was going to keep the OP updated as the league solidified. Wasnt going to bother mods to keep it updated so just spammed updates to the thread.

We ran into an issue with a few members trying to change history and change things they said.

Its always best to add to a new post to a thread instead of editing and updating a first post as most folks dont read the first post after they have read it once anyways. :)

One needs a few minutes to reread the post and work on fixing it. Sometimes you post a stream of consciousness and then go back and read and see it made no sense at all. But, it can take a few minutes to edit it back to sanity. 30 minutes is a reasonable amount of time. If it is back to an hour, that should be enough time to rewrite a novel.

Iceberg...

had a problem with sending a pm...program appeared to stick, not sure if the message was ever sent. Haven't been able to get in and check my private messages all afternoon, evening.

Bruce

it used to be a day or something like that. i don't like the new change but will have to get used to it i guess :)

I've been having a problem with this website for a couple of weeks now. It started with private messages. Now, pages are sticking or not coming up...freezing pages, etc. Computers being what they are I couldn't rule out an issue on this end, but haven't noticed similar problems with other sites.

It saves on flaming issues. People changing their posts after replies causing issues.

If this is the reason, then it needs to be addressed with those people, not handicap the 150,000 others, and those participating in the flaming need to learn to quote, as if they didn't do it anyways. I can understand not letting people edit after a while, but a matter of hours seems a little overboard.

Why anyone would need to edit a post 4 hours later is beyond me. Just make a new post. No need to change the old one, because well NO ONE will read it anyway, at least not those who have already read the thread.

I was going to add to my post, but it is 1 hour later and I can't. Your reasoning for not being able to edit posts is also a justification to not have this silly rule.

If people won't read the edited post, it won't matter. Not being able to edit my above post is another good example of this not really making much sense. The implication that every memeber reads every thread every hour so there's no need to edit is also silly.

It's not changing though I guess, Scott and other mods have ignored this thread while replying to others.

Thanks, I guess our only justification is 'a few people trying to change history' ...

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense. Because had you not made this second post I would of never read your new point. Because it is such a large forum, unless a new post is made, people do not go back to a thread they already read.

The point is, once someone has read a thread, they dont read it again unless a new post is made. They also are not going to read the old stuff again, so the ones who already read the thread will not see your edits. Sure new people will, but not anyone who was already in the conversation.

There is no logical reason to need to edit a post after an hour. Heck after 30 mins. Just make a new post. 30mins/1hr is plenty of time to make sure its proof read. If you need to change something quote yourself and post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)