Cant find signal and dont understand receiver setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diesel3406

Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
I searched thru a lot of posts here last nite. I now understand my questions better but still dont know the answers for sure.

Coolsat 4000 pro
SG2100
Fortec 80cm dish
Coolsat KU LNBF model CS-LNBL, RF 11.70-12.20Ghz, IF 950-1450,Lo 10.75 Ghz
No diseqc switch installed
location 49.7N, 111.6W
Nothing loaded into receiver (ie. channel lists)

Motor elevation is set, true south is very close (my field is seeded with GPS to exactly 180 degree) so I aligned dish to my rows in the field.
Used Satellite Antenna Alignment program and it gives an "expected measured antenna angle". Put a straight edge on dish from top to bottom (when at true south) and measure with angle meter. Found the dish to be a little low, so I readjusted. Experience and reading, a lot of dish elevation scales are not very accurate.

Could someone walk me thru "dish setting" and "motor setting" menu's for the coolsat with this LNB. (figured out one half of the dual lnb was dead, so I switched to the other input, now I get signal level, but understand quality is the only one that means anything)

Dish setting
1)Satellite - saw a recomendation for my area to use Satmex5
2)LNB power - ON
3)LNB Type - Single
4)LNB freq - ??? could someone also explain how to figure this out
5)22Khz - Off
6)Diseqc - Off

Motor setting
what freq (TP) should I use

If I get all the menu's set up right, then I can go play with aiming more without banging my head into a brick wall!!!!

thanks

In answer to question 4, This should be set to 10750 for a standard KU FSS LNB, which if I understand what you posted about your LNB then this should work, as far as TP: 11740 V 30.000 Should give you good quality.. I am currently getting about 60% on this.

Rick in MD

Thanks for the response.

Thats where I was trying and I finally did get it aimed. I am getting 65% quality on that (although it is bouncing as low as 30's for split seconds.

I've moved to G10R and am able to get some channels there. I did a blind scan, and got about 20 some channels. But 11986V is missing in the coolsat frequency( and there is a lot of freq's dont show up in lyngsat). Should I load a KU channel list, or just add freq's for what I want.

11986 is missing in options. I can add it in but symbol rate stays at 0 and I cant seem to change it. What do you set symbol rates to.

It sounds like your L.O. frequency is set wrong for your LNB. This will make the frequencies you find show up all out of whack with Lyngsat.

Keep in mind that the frequencies you find blindscanning may not be EXACTLY what you see on Lyngsat - but they should be close.

Ok, here goes...

Go into Dish Settings:
Choose the SAT - let's use G10R since you saw video on it.
LNB Power, ON
LNB Type: Single
LNB Freq:10.750
22KHZ OFF
DiSEqC Switch: off

I'm guessing for the LNB settings. If you don't see the quality meter come up, you'll have ot play with this menu until it does work. Your LNB 'might' be a universal in which case you'd choose LNB Type Universal and the L.O. would probably be 9.750 / 10.750.

Ok, On to Motorized setting:
It should be still on G10R, if not, choose it.

Under Frequency, choose 11.720V - it should be #1.
LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Single (change this as needed above)
LNB Freq: 10.750 (change this as needed above)
DiSEqC Motor: USALS
Sat Gegree: 123W (should already be set)
Antenna Position: 111.6 W / 049.7 N

Exit, save, and then go back in. This is where you will want to peak your dish.

Double check that your motor elevation is set as-per the manual. Remember there are two scales on the motor - make sure you are looking at the elevation one.

Your dish will be turned to the West some when tuned to G10R. Assuming you have some kind of signal, dial it in. Make any changes to azmuth by turning the whole motor / dish assy. To tweak elevation, use the dish elevation adjustment (declination).

I'm at 112.1W and G10R is what I user to peak my dish. I'm tracking the arc great :cool:.

diesel3406 said:
(figured out one half of the dual lnb was dead, so I switched to the other input, now I get signal level, but understand quality is the only one that means anything)
This is a concern too. If you just can't get reliable performance, you might concider upgrading your LNB. Aside from the reciever I haven't been too impessed with what I've seen of CoolSAT's satellite accesories.

This would be a great time to spring for an Invacom LNB. You'd be both eliminating an already half broken piece of hardware from your setup as well as improving signal quality across the board going from a 0.6 to a 0.3 LNB.

Shawn

Pete
I see now where you get those numbers from, but it wont allow me to edit SR. After I entered a new freq (11.986) and did a blind scan, it came up with 5.150 for SR. Signal quality changes from 60's to 30's (back and forth), and it wont pick up any channels from there. The signal should'nt bounce around that dramatic, should it. I wonder if the lnb is just screwed. Also channels on 11.800V (some) seem to hold good signal quality but keep freezing and pixelating.

Shawn95GT
TP 1 is 11.719, SR 27.687. Is this close enough (I would'nt have thought so, but obviously I dont have FTA figured out yet). Also, I dont lock (green) on this TP, only get about 20 on quality (red)

Its not a good sign that one port is not working, remember to have the LNBF straight up and down (not skewed) at the zero postion when setting up your system as the skew sets itself as the motor moves.

You have a standard LNBF 10.750 for the L.O. value

Pete
I do have some major concerns over this lnb right now, but not much I can do about till monday (and then a week shipping). The equipment is all new, so I will contact the vendor about it tomorrow.

Signal quality shouldnt bounce from 60 to 30 (back and forth). Is this a strong indication that the lnb is screwed.

Also in regards to 11986V SR5.150. I can maintain 60 for quality. When I run "blind scan" nothing comes in, likes a "manual scan" returns nothing. Trying to get ABC and CBS feeds. I am north of Montana, but because I have signal quality, doesnt that mean I should get them. Or am I missing something?

I do not have a Coolsat, you may want to do an advanced scan as its called on the Fortec Lifetime Ultra, where along with the Freq. Pol. and S/R you would also enter the Pids.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DFreq : 11986 (V) SR : 5.150 Msps

Video/257 Audio/258 PCR/257

On the Coolsat we have:

Auto Scan
Blind Search
Manual Scan
PID Scan

As far as I can tell, the Autoscan scans the transponders you have stored.
Blind Search = Blind Scan
Manual scan lets you scan a specific transponder.
PID scan... I haven't used. I assume this is to add a specific channel.

For the sats where the DBS stuff show sup in the blind scan (G11 etc) I enter the transponders right out of Lyngsat and do an Autoscan.

The PID scan lets you enter:
Frequency
Symbol Rate
Polorization
Video PID
Audio PID
PCR PID

diesel3406 said:
Signal quality shouldnt bounce from 60 to 30 (back and forth). Is this a strong indication that the lnb is screwed.

The TUBE on G10R bounces between 40 - 60 on my system, I have a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra and a 90CM Fortec Star Dish. Not sure if is normal or not. (Hope this helps) :confused:

My picture is a lot more stable now. Apparently thunderstorm cells were developing. Just got 1.3" of rain hail in 1/2 hour. Suprized this was causing freezing 6 hours ago.

Anyhow, the coolsat is off by .001 on several TP (11.719 instead of 11.720). In fact, I still cant anything on 11.719 or 11.720. Do I need to correct these? There also several TP's missing and several that lyngsat doesnt show. What do I need to do to get this right

You can relax the Freq. is always off a little when you blind scan, you can change it if you like but its not really a factor.

On my Pansat 2700 I noticed the off frequencies of TP's and also that the TP with CBS Virgin Islands, ABC P.R., and WB P.R. on G-10R was missing from my list altogether. I decided to edit the entire TP list on G-10R to conform with the Lyngsat info and found about 8 more channels after re-scanning....

Tron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts