Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

The TV has to report 1080p24 as a supported scan rate to get the content at 1080p. No frame rate conversion. Is Dish to blame if the sets EDID doesn't report back the information correctly?

No, but Dish IS to blame if the set reports back the information correctly, but Dish can't understand it.

I would think that Dish would run this compatiblity test in beta on all of the major brands of tv's BEFORE they released it. They obviously didn't do this, so at this point, I DO blame Dish.

Not ONE 1080p/24 Sony that has been mentioned here, or over at AVS or over at DBStalks has been able to pass the test, and to me, that is outrageous.

I also have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 set. I called Sony tech support & was told this set is 1080p 60fps and HDMI is 1.3.

I get the same fu**ed up message telling me my TV is NOT compatible. I will LEAVE Dish as soon as Direct has a 1080p plan that works for me. Dish really Fuc**d up by this 24 fps crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you should understand what happens before you start having a public temper tantrum.

Your set isn't 24p compatible. It has no 24p input mode. No amount of kvetching will fix it either. If you have a 1080i output option to watch the film then it is possible that you would still be able to watch the movie without losing resolution.

Much will depend on what happens with the DVR. I don't have the upgrade on my DVR yet to say for certain. If the DVR has 1080i output as an option it will perform a telecine operation. This takes the original frames from the film and outputs them in a 2:3 cadence, alternative odd and even lines of the film... Something like this:

Frame 1 odd
Frame 1 even
Frame 2 odd
Frame 2 even
Frame 2 odd
Frame 3 even
Frame 3 odd
Frame 4 even
Frame 4 odd
Frame 4 even
Frame 5 odd
Frame 5 even

It's these occasional repetitions that cause the judder. The good news is that if your sets de-interlacer can be locked into a film-based mode it will automatically correct for this so that playback is:

Frame 1
Frame 1
Frame 2
Frame 2
Frame 2
Frame 3
Frame 3
Frame 4
Frame 4
Frame 4
Frame 5
Frame 5

Note that the 3:2 cadence stays, and because the original film frame data is all there it can be recovered.

But I don't know if the software or the Broadcom chip can perform these tasks.

Some rube told me I should buy another set if I want the "good" picture. After soending $3000 last year to get a FULL 1080 set now I can't even watch that sorry as* movie on 501. BTW: I got that movie from Netflix and it sucked anyway.:(

You can't watch any 24p content as it was filmed, this is just the example that set you off.

And it is much better to watch content at its original frame rate whether that's 24 or 30 based.

No, but Dish IS to blame if the set reports back the information correctly, but Dish can't understand it.

I would think that Dish would run this compatiblity test in beta on all of the major brands of tv's BEFORE they released it. They obviously didn't do this, so at this point, I DO blame Dish.

Not ONE 1080p/24 Sony that has been mentioned here, or over at AVS or over at DBStalks has been able to pass the test, and to me, that is outrageous.

Without running an EDID dump from the sink (Display in DVI/HDMI lingo) how do you know with certainty the error is on Dish's part? I've seen enough displays with incorrect EDID information not to jump to a conclusion other than saying someone isn't handling it right.

Not sure what you are complaining about, your set cannot display at a multiple of 24 anyway so the 24p gives you no benefit, regardless if if could accept the signal or not.

People need to realize that unless your TV can display in a multiple of 24 (48, 72, 96, 120hz) and do it correctly, it does not even matter if it can accept the 24p signal because there would be no difference between 1080p24 and 1080i60 on your TV. This holds true for both Dish and Blu-Ray.

Then, perhaps you can explain to me why the sets in the Sony store- (In 1080p) look so much BETTER than mine does in 1080i. I was told that 1080p was the HOT setup, but like I said before I can't use it with Dish. Should I be happy?

Whoever is saying that 1080p 60fps is just as good as 1080p 24fps makes no sense to me at all. I don't understand how a lesser res. can be the same. Can someone clarify?

Last edited:
You don't understand

Then, perhaps you can explain to me why the sets in the Sony store- (In 1080p) look so much BETTER than mine does in 1080i. I was told that 1080p was the HOT setup, but like I said before I can't use it with Dish. Should I be happy?

Whoever is saying that 1080p 60fps is just as good as 1080p 24fps makes no sense to me at all. I don't understand how a lesser res. can be the same. Can someone clarify?

The the 60 or 24 is frame rate that is being sent to the display not the rez and has nothing to do w/rez. The reason the set looked better in the Sony store was due to it being feed a BR disc at 1080p 60.

My Panasonic 42" (PZ42700u) did the same thing. No sound, small picture in the upper left corner. I wish you could test the thing without spending $2.95 on the movie to see that it doesn't work.

i have the exact same problem with my 1080p panasonic. my 722's firmware is L612. On a side note, my tv has no problems displaying video from my hd-dvd player (toshiba xa2).

What was the source in the Sony store, what is the source in your home? It makes a big difference.

How far were you from the display at the Sony store and where you watch at home. That makes a difference too.

The resolution of each frame is identical 1920x1080 -- there are 2.5 times as many frames in 60p as 24p. That's it.

So the question becomes, which is the native for a particular selection? That will always look best.

The source (movies on film) is 1080p24 so you cannot get any better than that. Most TVs display at 60fps, so all they do is repeat frames to go from 24 to 60fps for display purposes. Nothing is missing, but a lot is duplicated.

The the 60 or 24 is frame rate that is being sent to the display not the rez and has nothing to do w/rez. The reason the set looked better in the Sony store was due to it being feed a BR disc at 1080p 60.

Does this mean when Sony comes out with a BluRay recorder/player I will be able to see a BluRay movie as seen in the Sony store?

Is this whole fiasco a result of Dish's software not working with Sony TV's?:confused:

Does anybody know why they don't output the 1080P at 60fps?
Seems to me that a lot more people would be able to view the movie then?

All this would become a non issue!

For the Panasonic plasma panels, it appeared a common result after the test to allow the viewing of the movie but the picture is only 3/4 of the screen size and on the top left corner.

Based on Smith P's explanation, after the test on the Panny panels, the 722s decide to send out a 1250i/50Hz HD signal (the European standard). To correct it, go to "menu-6-8" to switch your 722 HD output out of 1080i, then back into 1080i, that will set the 722 output to the correct 1080i/60Hz rather 1250i/50Hz.

I don't know about the newest Panny plasma panels, but most we have do not support 1080p/24, so the test should have failed but apparently the 722 test result is different than when the Sony sets were tested, on the Panny's the test passed, but a wrong signal was sent out.

After correcting the 1080i output as decribed above, what you will be getting will be a 1080i/60Hz HD signal (not 1080p/24), if your Panny is a 1080p set, it will scale the signal to 1080p, and do a 3:2 pull down (if the set has such function) to reduce the judder.

At least that is what I think it is. No the resolution will not be lost at all, if your set can display 1920/1080, regardless if it is 1080i or 1080p, you get the same resolution.

The benefit of the E* HD VOD (and I think D* will be the same) is there is no longer the issue of over compressing the signals, whatever the files the studios send to E* or D* will be downloaded as is, so yes the quality will be entirely up to how good the studios provide to E* and D*. If it is the same quality as the Bluray disk, it will be.

For those that have 1080p panels but can not pass the test, simply order the 1080i HD VODs, the quality will be the same, as many had pointed out, if your set does not accepte 1080p/24, you can't get benefit of it anyway. But getting the 1080i version will not reduce the quality at all.

A question (yes my wife's 40v3000 won't accept Dish's 1080p signal), Sony was deeply involved in the developement of both HDMI and BluRay, doesn't it appear strange that none of their 1080p sets as well as several others work with Dish?:D

A question (yes my wife's 40v3000 won't accept Dish's 1080p signal), Sony was deeply involved in the developement of both HDMI and BluRay, doesn't it appear strange that none of their 1080p sets as well as several others work with Dish?:D
Sony is deeply involved in creating their own standards and overcharging everyone to access them.

I have a Sony A3000 (1080p/24fps) that is hooked up to the ViP722 via HDMI. Everything works great...........except, it fails the 1080p test when trying to get I Am Legend and I can only get it in 1080i.

What gives?

Very odd. My Sony is 1080p/60fps and everyone is telling me I need 24fps to get the VOD on ch. 501. Dish is a joke!

So should we sell our Sonys and get another brand? Wonder if Dish is going to try to modify things so Sonys work.

Get rid of a Sony for Dish?? Don't make me laugh. I've had Sony TV's since 1983 & the 1989 XBR is still running great in the bedroom. Dish on the other hand may not be around much longer if they keep screwing up & pissing people off with their as* backwards softwares.:(

Sony is deeply involved in creating their own standards and overcharging everyone to access them.

Sony is out to make money, but so is Dish & everyone else. I remember 5 yrs. ago when I pd. $450 for an entire year with a C Band 10' dish to receive a decent std. ch. pkg. & EVERY major movie ch. with all their digital feeds. Now I'm paying around $900/yr. with Dish & the only movie chs. I have are HBO & Max- (Max is only 2 cents for 2 yrs.)

Talk about greed. I still say Sony high end TV's are the best and I've had them for a long time with no repairs to any of them. I also think this BluRay thing is nothing but BS. I don't have a BluRay player or own any HD or BluRay discs.

I also remember when cable TV cost $9.95/mo. & when HBO was free if you had C Band. HBO was the 1st movie ch. to start charging C band customers. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts