Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

lwien

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I have a Sony A3000 (1080p/24fps) that is hooked up to the ViP722 via HDMI. Everything works great...........except, it fails the 1080p test when trying to get I Am Legend and I can only get it in 1080i.

What gives?

no hijack intended
sorry lwien

i just rented this movie it shows as 1080p on my set via hdmi but i got no sound

is that typical?

tuned to 501 and sound was there

Last edited:
No, there's nothing you can do. Is it a bug ? Maybe.... Is the issue in your TV (and the way it "reports" back to devices that query it) or the receiver ? Sony will say the receiver is to blame while Dish will say the TV is... It's a no-win situation.

1080p

Same here. I downloaded I AM LEGEND last night and had no sound when viewing @ 1080p. Additionally, the picture was moved to the upper left hand corner of my HDTV. Just to make sure, I played a Blu-ray disc and it worked perfectly. I think there must be a bug in the new software, as this same thing has happened to people with various brands of HDTVs. However, when I switched the resolution on my ViP722 from 1080p to 1080i, everything was fine...I had sound and a perfect picture. I'm puzzled ! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

My Panasonic 42" (PZ42700u) did the same thing. No sound, small picture in the upper left corner. I wish you could test the thing without spending $2.95 on the movie to see that it doesn't work.

Just to pile on here, I have a Sony KDS60XBR2 1080p input capable TV and it fails Dish's test.

I have a Sony XBR4 40 inch LCD that states clearly all through the manual that it is 1080p/25fps and 120 hz yet it fails the resolution test every time!

I don't even have Dish, I have DirecTV, but I have a Toshiba 62hm196 HD set which was advertised as 1080p. I have since learned since buying a PS3 to show blu ray discs that this TV is not true 1080p. It can only accept a 1080i signal and allegedly changes it to a 1080p picture. I suspect that with either Dish or DirecTV I'd get an error message if I tried to download a 1080p picture. Hence, I am screwed no matter which satellite 1080p programming I try to receive.

Just to pile on here, I have a Sony KDS60XBR2 1080p input capable TV and it fails Dish's test.

Well it turns out, according to CNET, my TV only supports 1080p @ 60 fps. Bummer... BUT... I still LOVE this TV! :)

Sony LCD fails DISH test...

I have a Sony LCD and the Vip 722. Its model number is KDL-40V3000... I have the manual and it clearly says in the manual: HDMI IN 1/2 - HDMI: Video: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p. So I know my TV is compatible but the DISH test says it is not. I have used different HDMI cables to see if that helped but nothing has helped. I have a Samsung LCD (LN52A750) with another 722 hooked up to it and it plays the 1080p movie just fine. Maybe it has something to do with Sony. Who knows...

1080P/60

Same here. I downloaded I AM LEGEND last night and had no sound when viewing @ 1080p. Additionally, the picture was moved to the upper left hand corner of my HDTV. Just to make sure, I played a Blu-ray disc and it worked perfectly. I think there must be a bug in the new software, as this same thing has happened to people with various brands of HDTVs. However, when I switched the resolution on my ViP722 from 1080p to 1080i, everything was fine...I had sound and a perfect picture. I'm puzzled !:

Exactly the same here with my 622. I have a 50" panasonic and going to their website it looks like all the sets I looked up are 1080P/60. This may explain the picture being in the upper left corner but what about the audio? Its good that Blue Ray players do not have these issues.