Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

I think it might be easier to start counting the successes instead of the number of failures. It would seem to take a lot less time.

How do you know if it failed or not? I ran the test and it didn't say one way or the other. It just went off for about 2 seconds like it said it would, then asked me again if I wanted to rent it.

Yeah, but with Blu-ray you can keep the movie forever. With VOD, you only keep it for 24 hrs.

What I would do is wait until a BluRay recorder becomes available. Then, assuming that Dish doesn't block you from recording the movie you PAID for record the film on a blank. Who cares about the 24 hrs. then?

How do you know if it failed or not? I ran the test and it didn't say one way or the other. It just went off for about 2 seconds like it said it would, then asked me again if I wanted to rent it.

FWIW, I rented the 1080p VOD yesterday. When I selected it from the EPG, it went black then came back to check phone line...went black and then prompted me to select yes to rent...went black and asked me to confirm $2.99 fee...I selected yes and the program started...in 1080p. There was no confirmation of "1080p supported" or even a "your tv does not support 1080p" message(s). I then checked my tv's input display...and sure enough it said 1080p. :up

I have a Vip622 w/ L612, hooked up to a Toshiba 65HM167 1080p DLP HDTV via HDMI. The Analysis feature states a 1250i/50hz resolution, with support up to 1080i...:confused:

So, with cautious optimism it looks like the Toshiba can present the 1080p VOD :cool:

Unlikely

What I would do is wait until a BluRay recorder becomes available. Then, assuming that Dish doesn't block you from recording the movie you PAID for record the film on a blank. Who cares about the 24 hrs. then?
I think it very unlikely that a BR recorder will be an accept output source. The HDCP is gonna tell the E* VIP that it is a recorder and then say bye bye.

OK, I've got a Sony XBR4 which isn't supported (Dish says) even though Sony says 1080/24p is supported. My question is if I rent it what resolution will I get it at?
And yes I'm frustrated that it won't work, but am patient and certain that it will "soon". Still, it is better than anybody else out there has right now so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

OK, I've got a Sony XBR4 which isn't supported (Dish says) even though Sony says 1080/24p is supported. My question is if I rent it what resolution will I get it at?
And yes I'm frustrated that it won't work, but am patient and certain that it will "soon". Still, it is better than anybody else out there has right now so I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

you'll get 1080i

you'll get 1080i

You would get what the output of or receiver is set to (1080i or 720p or 480p or 480i) combined with what the TV can display.

For example, I have heard of 720p televisions that can accept 1080i, but obviously the TV is going to down convert it to its native resolution.

Your XBR4 is 1080p. The Dish receiver will output at 1080i (that's where you should have it set) and your TV will convert it to 1080p through its scaling mechanism (reverse 3:2 pulldown).:D

You would get what the output of or receiver is set to (1080i or 720p or 480p or 480i) combined with what the TV can display.

For example, I have heard of 720p televisions that can accept 1080i, but obviously the TV is going to down convert it to its native resolution.

Correct, my bad. I assumed since he had a 1080p set he already had it set to 1080i, but maybe not.

It's a bit confusing because Dish was too cheap to write code for 2 separate things: One to test 1080p compatibility and another to confirm that you really want to rent the movie.

Because of this and the brief amount of time to make the decision, you may not confirm before it reverts back to the original format and then leaves you the dual-purpose message that either it didn't pass or you didn't select in time.

I have two 622s that now both have the 612 software and all the VODs including the I Am Legend title but one is connected to a Sony Bravia with 1080 24p capability and the other to a tv that will only do 1080i (and 480i & p).

I selected the rent option on both systems and on the non-1080p tv the screen went dark and remained dark until it blinked back to 1080i about 15 seconds later.

On the Sony however, the screen only blinked off for a second and then displayed the confirm message. I then tried to turn on the tv's display info mode to see if the format had changed but by that time it blinked back with the "didn't pass or didn't select in time" message.

At first I thought I was having the same "Sony" problem that others have described. I tried it again but this time set the Sony's display info before I tried to rent it. This time as soon as it blinked the tv showed the change from 1080i to 1080 24p, so I selected the confirm in time and the movie started.

I just passed this on because although it doesn't take a lot to confuse me sometimes, others may be having similar problems. As for the movie itself and my evaluation of Dish's 1080p fiasco, I addressed all that in one of the other 1080p threads.

I have a Samsung HL-T5687S (DLP w/ LED backlighting). It passed the 1080p test for I am Legend. I checked my resolution during the test, it was 1920x1080 @ 24 Hz, so looks like this set works fine.

Correct, my bad. I assumed since he had a 1080p set he already had it set to 1080i, but maybe not.

No worries ... I had no idea what the capabilities of his set was ... that is why I clarified.

It was probably safe to assume 1080i ... but who knows ... he might have had his receiver set to something else ...

At the risk of getting lost in a long thread, I have a question. I bought a 61" Mit DLP a couple years ago. I knew it only went up to 1080i when I purchased it, but I was ok with it. I was actually surprised to read in the manual a few days later that it can actually DISPLAY 1080p, but the HDMI inputs can only accept 1080i (like some have mentioned in this thread).

But isn't this like tits on a bull? I'm not sure why a manufacturer would go through the trouble of making a TV that can display 1080p, but can't accept 1080p signals. Is it that hard/expensive/time consuming/whatever to put in 1080p HDMI jacks instead of 1080i HDMI jacks? Is it because the "display technology" is ahead of "input jacks technology"; and at the time I bought the TV, 1080p jacks weren't readily available or something? I don't get it. It seems like both aspects would both be invented/progress at the same time. What am I missing?

I realize the TV upconverts the 1080i to 1080p, yadda, yadda...that's not what I'm asking about. I'm very satisfied with my TV and I'm not complaining about the 1080i jack thing. I'm just perplexed why they do this. It's like making a 4-wheel drive, but not putting a shifter in the cab to engage it. Why go to through the trouble?

Two years ago, I'm not sure there was much available in 1080p/30 or 1080p/24 source material. I'm not sure that it was a cost value thing, a technology not ready yet, or a belief that folks wouldn't use that. But almost all 1080p TVs until 2007 model year wouldn't do native 1080p. 2 years is a lifetime in the digital world.:D

It's a bit confusing because Dish was too cheap to write code for 2 separate things: One to test 1080p compatibility and another to confirm that you really want to rent the movie.

Because of this and the brief amount of time to make the decision, you may not confirm before it reverts back to the original format and then leaves you the dual-purpose message that either it didn't pass or you didn't select in time.

I have two 622s that now both have the 612 software and all the VODs including the I Am Legend title but one is connected to a Sony Bravia with 1080 24p capability and the other to a tv that will only do 1080i (and 480i & p).

I selected the rent option on both systems and on the non-1080p tv the screen went dark and remained dark until it blinked back to 1080i about 15 seconds later.

On the Sony however, the screen only blinked off for a second and then displayed the confirm message. I then tried to turn on the tv's display info mode to see if the format had changed but by that time it blinked back with the "didn't pass or didn't select in time" message.

At first I thought I was having the same "Sony" problem that others have described. I tried it again but this time set the Sony's display info before I tried to rent it. This time as soon as it blinked the tv showed the change from 1080i to 1080 24p, so I selected the confirm in time and the movie started.

I just passed this on because although it doesn't take a lot to confuse me sometimes, others may be having similar problems. As for the movie itself and my evaluation of Dish's 1080p fiasco, I addressed all that in one of the other 1080p threads.

That was a great idea. I checked it your way with tv picture information on screen. When it went black my tv showed
1080P I hit confirm. It is now playing at 1080P.
This is on a Vizio VP-504f plasma.
Thanks for the tip.

Check out the post http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/143908-how-dishs-1080p-going-work-21.html#post1492279 in the thread in the main forum.

Turns out there is a lot of confusion about the 1080P test.

When it does the test your screen will go dark for a moment and then return with a request to confirm if you want to watch the movie. If your screen is incompatible, it'll stay dark and then time out as you didn't select the choice.

If your TV is compatible, it'll eventually display the same result because you didn't select the choice.

So it's all about if you can see it or not and if you select the choice before the time out. I suspect several of you reporting that your set is incompatible may simply be letting it time out on the test and then seeing the incompatible message.

Hope that's the case when you retest.

I suspect several of you reporting that your set is incompatible may simply be letting it time out on the test and then seeing the incompatible message.

Hope that's the case when you retest.

I wish this was the case, but unfortunately, this was not for me.

Check out the post http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/143908-how-dishs-1080p-going-work-21.html#post1492279 in the thread in the main forum.

Turns out there is a lot of confusion about the 1080P test.

When it does the test your screen will go dark for a moment and then return with a request to confirm if you want to watch the movie. If your screen is incompatible, it'll stay dark and then time out as you didn't select the choice.

If your TV is compatible, it'll eventually display the same result because you didn't select the choice.

So it's all about if you can see it or not and if you select the choice before the time out. I suspect several of you reporting that your set is incompatible may simply be letting it time out on the test and then seeing the incompatible message.

You explained that so much better than I did.:)

I wish this was the case, but unfortunately, this was not for me.
When my screen went black during the test check, it didn't come back on with any message other than 'test failure'. I called Dish and asked them about it and I was told to make sure my TV was "set to 1080P", not anything under.
Told them my set's native resolution is 1080P. They then said that I need to contact Sony about the problem, it wasn't Dish's fault.
What a PITA!

Edit:

I just received this response from Sony, regarding the problem with the 1080P VOD from Dish:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience as your Sony TV is not displaying the 1080p resolution Picture. HDMI interface is necessary to view the 1080P resolution Picture i your Sony TV. The television display has a native resolution of 1080p. This means that any supported signal (480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i) that is input to the TV will be up-converted from its original resolution and displayed in 1080p.

None of the input jacks on the television have the capability of receiving a 1080p signal; trying to input a 1080p signal into the TV will result in a blank or distorted picture on the screen. If you are connecting a video device that is outputting a 1080p signal, the video device will need to be reconfigured to output at a different resolution, such as 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i.

For many electronics used as an output device, such as a Blu-Ray (BD) player or HD cable box, the conversion of the signal occurs automatically. However, for the PlayStation3 console, there is a need to manually change the output setting on your device from 1080p to 1080i. While this manual change may appear to be changing the display resolution on your television, it is actually changing the output signal resolution of your device only and not the television display resolution, which is fixed at 1080p.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6EL
Jason

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)