Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

My SONY KDL-40V2500 1080P fails the test. What's the deal? Any updates on this?

Yup. Talked to Dish yesterday, and they told me that it wasn't their fault and that I needed to take it up with Sony.

Called them back today and told them that apparently, this is happening to EVERYONE that has Sony TV's and suggested that they kick this up to engineering. We'll see.

Till then, I believe that we're SOL.!!

Yup. Talked to Dish yesterday, and they told me that it wasn't their fault and that I needed to take it up with Sony.

Called them back today and told them that apparently, this is happening to EVERYONE that has Sony TV's and suggested that they kick this up to engineering. We'll see.

Till then, I believe that we're SOL.!!

I hope they give you a refund.

Same Here, I have two 2007 Sony Bravia's 1080P. The one hooked up to the 722 fails the 1080P test.
The 622 lists the VOD offerings but not I am Ledgend1080P.
Jeepers!
I thought the 622 was supposed to work with the VOD 1080P.
Guess none of this matters if you have a top of the line Sony.
:mad:
Mike

Television is normally 60 fields (odd/even 1/2 frames per send) film is 24 analog frames per second. Digital video is 30 frames per second. In the breakdown of 1920/1080 for HDTV the 3 standards are 1920:1080 60i, 1920:1080 30p and 1920:1080 24p. Dish normally outputs 1080i or 720p HD (depending on the broadcast). I haven't checked my wife's 1080p set, but I noticed the on display now says she's been turbo charged and channel 501 shows up. Mine does not as yet.:D

Wouldn't it have been easier just to offer 1080p rather then 1080p/24? I realize 1080p/24 is the top of the heap but all I am reading is failure after failure. Am I really missing something if its not 24? That along with I guess you have to rent the movie just to do the test anyway truly burns me. :mad: I won't bite on it. DirecTv's rollout sometime at the end of the year for the same feature I hope will learn from this seemingly fiasco.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to offer 1080p rather then 1080p/24? I realize 1080p/24 is the top of the heap but all I am reading is failure after failure. Am I really missing something if its not 24? That along with I guess you have to rent the movie just to do the test anyway truly burns me. :mad: I won't bite on it. DirecTv's rollout sometime at the end of the year for the same feature I hope will learn from this seemingly fiasco.

The video information in the VOD file is like what is found on a BD disk, 24fps - 24p. Most displays convert this through a process called 3:2 pulldown to work at 60hz or 60fps. This introduces judder in the film visible especially during panoramic panning scenes and can be distracting to frustrating to see. Some displays claim to be compatible with a 1080p24 signal and then they convert it to 1080p60.

Some displays now claim 120hz capability HOWEVER this could mean that the 24p signal is converted to 60fps by 3:2 pulldown and then doubled to 120 so you have to be careful.

For these Sonys that don't seem to be reporting their 24p capability correctly, maybe the 120hz mode needs to be engaged on the tv before the dvr test is performed in order to properly inform the dvr that 24p compatibility is available. Something is obviously missing in the edid information Sony passes in the handshake. Not every manufacturer agrees on the same implementation of HDMI and I'm not surprised that Sony could be one of them that has their own ideas.

The video information in the VOD file is like what is found on a BD disk, 24fps - 24p. Most displays convert this through a process called 3:2 pulldown to work at 60hz or 60fps. This introduces judder in the film visible especially during panoramic panning scenes and can be distracting to frustrating to see. Some displays claim to be compatible with a 1080p24 signal and then they convert it to 1080p60.

Some displays now claim 120hz capability HOWEVER this could mean that the 24p signal is converted to 60fps by 3:2 pulldown and then doubled to 120 so you have to be careful.

For these Sonys that don't seem to be reporting their 24p capability correctly, maybe the 120hz mode needs to be engaged on the tv before the dvr test is performed in order to properly inform the dvr that 24p compatibility is available. Something is obviously missing in the edid information Sony passes in the handshake. Not every manufacturer agrees on the same implementation of HDMI and I'm not surprised that Sony could be one of them that has their own ideas.

Then shouldn't Dish know that if Sony has a HDMI handshake problem with Dish's DVRs? I would think Dish would have some kinda work around for situations like this? I will try to call Sony about this but I bet they won't do anything about it.

here we go again

The miscommunication for 1080p is most likely the handshake for the HDMI hasn't be told that your set is compatible. Which means in short it hasn't be added to the list of sets that work w/ the E* receiver. Now here is an excerpt from Wiki about 1080p.

Broadcasting standards

ATSC and DVB support 1080p video, but only at the frame rates of 24, 25, and 30 frames per second (1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30) and their 1000/1001-rate slow versions (e.g., 29.97 frames per second instead of 30). Higher frame rates, such as 1080p50 and 1080p60, could only be sent with more bandwidth or if a more advanced codec (such as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and AVS) were used. Higher frame rates such as 1080p50 and 1080p60 are foreseen as the future broadcasting standard for production.[3]

In the United States, the ATSC is considering amending its standard to allow the incorporation of the newer codecs for optional usage like the DVB Project consortium already has done with DVB-S2.[4] However, doing so is not expected to result in widespread consumer availability of broadcast 1080p60 programming, since most of the existing digital television sets or external digital receivers in use in the United States would still only be capable of decoding the older, less-efficient MPEG-2 codec, while the bandwidth limitations do not allow for broadcasting two simultaneous streams on the same broadcast channel (e.g. both a 1080i MPEG-2 stream alongside a 1080p MPEG-4 stream).

For these Sonys that don't seem to be reporting their 24p capability correctly, maybe the 120hz mode needs to be engaged on the tv before the dvr test is performed in order to properly inform the dvr that 24p compatibility is available.

Already tried that. Still doesn't work.

The miscommunication for 1080p is most likely the handshake for the HDMI hasn't be told that your set is compatible. Which means in short it hasn't be added to the list of sets that work w/ the E* receiver. Now here is an excerpt from Wiki about 1080p.

Broadcasting standards

ATSC and DVB support 1080p video, but only at the frame rates of 24, 25, and 30 frames per second (1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30) and their 1000/1001-rate slow versions (e.g., 29.97 frames per second instead of 30). Higher frame rates, such as 1080p50 and 1080p60, could only be sent with more bandwidth or if a more advanced codec (such as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and AVS) were used. Higher frame rates such as 1080p50 and 1080p60 are foreseen as the future broadcasting standard for production.[3]

In the United States, the ATSC is considering amending its standard to allow the incorporation of the newer codecs for optional usage like the DVB Project consortium already has done with DVB-S2.[4] However, doing so is not expected to result in widespread consumer availability of broadcast 1080p60 programming, since most of the existing digital television sets or external digital receivers in use in the United States would still only be capable of decoding the older, less-efficient MPEG-2 codec, while the bandwidth limitations do not allow for broadcasting two simultaneous streams on the same broadcast channel (e.g. both a 1080i MPEG-2 stream alongside a 1080p MPEG-4 stream).

So should we sell our Sonys and get another brand? Wonder if Dish is going to try to modify things so Sonys work.

Just to pile on here, I have a Sony KDS60XBR2 1080p input capable TV and it fails Dish's test.

I also have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 set. I called Sony tech support & was told this set is 1080p 60fps and HDMI is 1.3.

I get the same fu**ed up message telling me my TV is NOT compatible. I will LEAVE Dish as soon as Direct has a 1080p plan that works for me. Dish really Fuc**d up by this 24 fps crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some rube told me I should buy another set if I want the "good" picture. After soending $3000 last year to get a FULL 1080 set now I can't even watch that sorry as* movie on 501. BTW: I got that movie from Netflix and it sucked anyway.:(

I also have a Sony KDS-R60XBR2 set. I called Sony tech support & was told this set is 1080p 60fps and HDMI is 1.3.

I get the same fu**ed up message telling me my TV is NOT compatible. I will LEAVE Dish as soon as Direct has a 1080p plan that works for me. Dish really Fuc**d up by this 24 fps crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some rube told me I should buy another set if I want the "good" picture. After soending $3000 last year to get a FULL 1080 set now I can't even watch that sorry as* movie on 501. BTW: I got that movie from Netflix and it sucked anyway.:(

Not sure what you are complaining about, your set cannot display at a multiple of 24 anyway so the 24p gives you no benefit, regardless if if could accept the signal or not.

People need to realize that unless your TV can display in a multiple of 24 (48, 72, 96, 120hz) and do it correctly, it does not even matter if it can accept the 24p signal because there would be no difference between 1080p24 and 1080i60 on your TV. This holds true for both Dish and Blu-Ray.

Last edited:
Did you ask

Were told that it would only display 1080p 60? If so then E* didn't f-up, you just have a unit that wasn't built to display 1080p24. So going to D* for 1080p won't help since if they run 1080p 24 your set still won't display it from them either.

Television is normally 60 fields (odd/even 1/2 frames per send) film is 24 analog frames per second. Digital video is 30 frames per second. In the breakdown of 1920/1080 for HDTV the 3 standards are 1920:1080 60i, 1920:1080 30p and 1920:1080 24p. Dish normally outputs 1080i or 720p HD (depending on the broadcast). I haven't checked my wife's 1080p set, but I noticed the on display now says she's been turbo charged and channel 501 shows up. Mine does not as yet.:D

Toto:

In a thread filled with misunderstandings and misinformation it's nice to see you get almost all the details right.

Digital Video cams are usually 1080i and they actually scan that way. Digital Film cams are 24 FPS.

Cheers,

The TV has to report 1080p24 as a supported scan rate to get the content at 1080p. No frame rate conversion. Is Dish to blame if the sets EDID doesn't report back the information correctly?

Converting to 1080p60 from 1080p24 is possible, but it introduces judder. Have you ever noticed scrolling credits, especially white text on a black background has somewhat shaky movement? That's judder. It happens when you take 24fps and playback at a non-integer multiplier.