Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

I bought my XBR2 set 1 year ago. Sony told me it's 1080p 60fps, so I deleted ch. 501 from my ch. list. I don't fault Sony at all. Dish should be using software that will work with 1080p 60fps.

LOL, go complain to the Motion Picture Association and Blu-Ray associtation for using 24p since day1. Dish is passing along the original format, not their fault you do not have equipment to view it. Maybe they should only send it in 480i so everyone with analog TVs can see it.

Should Blu-Ray work in your DVD player too? :)

Last edited:
Okay here's a success story of sorts. I have a Pioneer PDP-4280 42" plasma. It only displays 720P max but accepts 1080P 24 fps. It passed the test, showed it was getting the 1080P signal, and even though I wasn't actually viewing it in 1080P, the picture quality was fantastic.

My Samsung LN-T4661F also failed the test. The picture did look awesome. Dish tech told me that it is a software issue. She also said that in the HD set up the highest resolution that is displayed is 1080i even though the movie is in 1080p.

Add Mitsubishi WD-52631 to the list of failures. I'm connected by HDMI and couldn't pass Dishes test

My 57732 is of the same generation--just a bigger screen and in the Medallion line.

One guy's 73833 (Diamond of the following year) worked. It's good to know that his 120Hz display that still does a 3:2 pulldown of 1080p24 works.

Okay here's a success story of sorts. I have a Pioneer PDP-4280 42" plasma. It only displays 720P max but accepts 1080P 24 fps. It passed the test, showed it was getting the 1080P signal, and even though I wasn't actually viewing it in 1080P, the picture quality was fantastic.

Exactly the same thing that happened with my 32" Magnavox LCD.

The test failure message may be because of a HDCP test failure, not a 1080p test. Is your HDMI cable straight from the sat box to the tv?
Yes. It's coming straight out our the ViP722 box into my KDF-50E300. The TV set was manufactured in July 2007 and I just got the receiver from Dish 3 months ago.

Asking more pointed questions to the Sony tech team got me this response:

The HDMI input on the TV has the capability to accept the 1080p High Definition signals. The TV can accept and display the 1080p signals in its true format without upconverting them. Based on the information you've provided, it appears that the HDMI signals are of 1080p/24p resolution. The television supports 1080/60p video signals from sources connected using an HDMI connection; 1080/24p video signals are not supported.

Again, this reply is directly tied to my model, but I'm guessing that it might apply to others as well.

There are a lot of 1080p televisions out there that accept 1080p signals.

What people need to remember though is that there are different varieties of 1080p signals. That is where the frame per seconds (fps) comes in. Typical values are 60, 30, and 24.

My television for example can accept 1080p60, 1080p30, 1080p24 as per the manual.

The new 1080p Dish movies are 1080p24 and hence the Dish receiver will be sending to your TV a 1080p24 signal. Therefore, your television will need to be able to "understand" the 1080p24 "language" in order to view the movie.

Your TV may "understand" other 1080p "languages", 1080p60 or 1080p30, and hence it can still be called a 1080p television.

Perhaps what dish needs to do is instead of doing 1080p24, do 1080p30 or something more popular. As said earlier however, movies are typically done 24p, so converting to 24p would hence be easy. 1080p24 would also result in the smallest file size to download. It makes sense that this format was chosen.

Just as an FYI:

The compatible modes for my TV via HDMI are:

480p60
720p60
1080i60
1080p60
1080p30
1080p24

Technically 720p30 and 720p24 exist. If a device attempted to send a 720p30 or 720p24 signal to my TV, I would be out of luck.

Last edited:
One other thing to keep in mind:

Even though your tv may be able to accept and display or convert and display 1080p24, if it does not communicate this info to the source device (DVR in this case) it does not matter what it can handle or who made it.

There are many tvs that have firmware updates available to solve these kinds of issues and there are devices that can tell the video signal source that 1080p24 is acceptable that can be put in between your tv and your dvr.

When my screen went black during the test check, it didn't come back on with any message other than 'test failure'. I called Dish and asked them about it and I was told to make sure my TV was "set to 1080P", not anything under.
Told them my set's native resolution is 1080P. They then said that I need to contact Sony about the problem, it wasn't Dish's fault.
What a PITA!

Edit:

I just received this response from Sony, regarding the problem with the 1080P VOD from Dish:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience as your Sony TV is not displaying the 1080p resolution Picture. HDMI interface is necessary to view the 1080P resolution Picture i your Sony TV. The television display has a native resolution of 1080p. This means that any supported signal (480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i) that is input to the TV will be up-converted from its original resolution and displayed in 1080p.

None of the input jacks on the television have the capability of receiving a 1080p signal; trying to input a 1080p signal into the TV will result in a blank or distorted picture on the screen. If you are connecting a video device that is outputting a 1080p signal, the video device will need to be reconfigured to output at a different resolution, such as 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i.

For many electronics used as an output device, such as a Blu-Ray (BD) player or HD cable box, the conversion of the signal occurs automatically. However, for the PlayStation3 console, there is a need to manually change the output setting on your device from 1080p to 1080i. While this manual change may appear to be changing the display resolution on your television, it is actually changing the output signal resolution of your device only and not the television display resolution, which is fixed at 1080p.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6EL
Jason

Something is weird here. I bought a Sony Bravia KDL46S4100 a few months ago, which I believe is the least expensive Sony HD LCD out there ($1,550.00) and it accepts Dish's 1080p input just fine. I can even see the Sony display change from 1080i to 1080 24p when IAL starts playing. It also does this when I play 1080p disks with my PS3.

It doesn't make sense they would have this capability in their, what I suppose they'd call, "entry level" unit and not in their more expensive tvs.

There are a lot of 1080p televisions out there that accept 1080p signals.

What people need to remember though is that there are different varieties of 1080p signals. That is where the frame per seconds (fps) comes in. Typical values are 60, 30, and 24.

My television for example can accept 1080p60, 1080p30, 1080p24 as per the manual.

The new 1080p Dish movies are 1080p24 and hence the Dish receiver will be sending to your TV a 1080p24 signal. Therefore, your television will need to be able to "understand" the 1080p24 "language" in order to view the movie.

Your TV may "understand" other 1080p "languages", 1080p60 or 1080p30, and hence it can still be called a 1080p television.

Perhaps what dish needs to do is instead of doing 1080p24, do 1080p30 or something more popular. As said earlier however, movies are typically done 24p, so converting to 24p would hence be easy. 1080p24 would also result in the smallest file size to download. It makes sense that this format was chosen.

Just as an FYI:

The compatible modes for my TV via HDMI are:

480p60
720p60
1080i60
1080p60
1080p30
1080p24

Technically 720p30 and 720p24 exist. If a device attempted to send a 720p30 or 720p24 signal to my TV, I would be out of luck.

So if we have a Sony that doesn't do the 24 thing or we just out of luck? My Sony manual doesn't say anything about the fps. Must not be 24 because it failed the test for I Am Legend.

Mine is 1080p/24 and it STILL doesn't work.

One other thing to keep in mind:

Even though your tv may be able to accept and display or convert and display 1080p24, if it does not communicate this info to the source device (DVR in this case) it does not matter what it can handle or who made it.

There are many tvs that have firmware updates available to solve these kinds of issues and there are devices that can tell the video signal source that 1080p24 is acceptable that can be put in between your tv and your dvr.

Not sure how your DVR is connected to your TV, but a good point above was made.

To add to the confusion, HDMI also has many different versions.

If Dish's DVR is using HDMI version 1.3 and is telling your TV in 1.3 "language" to switch to 1080p24 mode, but your TV only "understands" the HDMI version 1.2 "language", your TV is not going to be able to handle the request.

Some TV manufacturers allow their TVs to be updateable. You would need to contact your TV manufacturer accordingly.

With that being said though, if Dish's DVR is using HDMI version 1.3 and is telling your TV in 1.3 "language" to switch to 1080p24 mode, but your TV only "understands" the HDMI version 1.2 "language", your TV is not going to be able to handle the request.

Some TV manufacturers allow their TVs to be updateable. You would need to contact your TV manufacturer accordingly.

Thanks theoak. I guess I will call Sony and see if anything can be done.

If Dish's DVR is using HDMI version 1.3 and is telling your TV in 1.3 "language" to switch to 1080p24 mode, but your TV only "understands" the HDMI version 1.2 "language", your TV is not going to be able to handle the request.

So if we have a Sony that doesn't do the 24 thing or we just out of luck? My Sony manual doesn't say anything about the fps. Must not be 24 because it failed the test for I Am Legend.

It all depends on the guts of your TV.

Your TV may have the hardware to handle 1080p24.

It could be, for example, it just lacks the HDMI "language" pieces to handle the request.

The best recommendation is if your TV has an update. Perhaps such an update will allow your TV to accept a 1080p24 signal.

Otherwise, sadly, yes, you are out of luck :(

It all depends on the guts of your TV.

Your TV may have the hardware to handle 1080p24.

It could be, for example, it just lacks the HDMI "language" pieces to handle the request.

The best recommendation is if your TV has an update. Perhaps such an update will allow your TV to accept a 1080p24 signal.

Otherwise, sadly, yes, you are out of luck :(

How does the TV get updated if there is one available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts