Can't get any OTA HD

TJ22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
There are no HD network broadcasts available in my area Morgantown, WV. So how do I go about getting them through dish? I current only have the Dishpro Plus 500 pointed at 119 & 110. Do I need another dish? And what channels are available OTA that I could get through dish?

Thanks.

Dish currently only broadcasts CBS HD from the 61.5 satellite.

Dish currently does not have any other networks available in HD. They are coming though.

how do you know that you can't get other stations in cities close to you in Digital? I am 63 miles from Huntsville, 70 miles from Birmingham, and 90 miles from Atlanta and I get all there stations with the exception of a couple from Atlanta very good. Where I live isn't exactly the flatest land around neither. I of course have a very good preamp, antenna, RG11, and a Rohn tower. People that think that they can't get any OTA stations most of the time can. Don't be fooled by some of these web sites that tell you that your to far based on your zip code. Hell they told me I wasn't close enough to get ANY OTA digital channel and I get them from 3 Major DMA's.

I highly doubt I can pick up OTA I am in a townhouse so I am limited to an indoor antenna and wv is no where near flat.

If you can suggest an indoor antenna, I am willing to try one out.

Just a note, you may not be limited to indoor antenna - see various other threads on FCC regs allowing OTA antennas and Sat Dishes.

That is fine but I really have no place to put one and no desire to. I wont be here much longer so I dont want to go through the hassle of installing. Could someone recommend an antenna preferable that radioshack or best buy carries?

I have no idea. According to the online channel search I have no DTV signals in my area. Where/how can I find it out?

Outside of a PBS station, there are no HD stations within 30 miles of Morgantown. And only 1 SD station. And if you are sitting low behind a hill, it's even harder. I lived near there once and it was very hard to pick up anything OTA.

Now if you are sitting high, and have a good antenna, you can pick up all of the Pittsburgh channels, and Fairmont/Clarksburg, and Wheeling.

It will be very difficult to get anything except PBS with an indoor antenna. And you may not be able to get a waiver for the national CBS-HD channel either.

That is what I figured, but I would like to give it a shot with an indoor antenna (if it doesnt work I will just take it back. So could someone suggest an indoor antenna, preferable from radioshack or BB.

No local HD

According to the equipment you have, you need a device, either a HD satellite receiver with the digital input or a tv with a digital tuner and I didn't see mentioned where you had either.

The Dish receiver will not pick up any HD signals without some type of antenna attached. You can verify what stations are available in your area at antennaweb. Enter your address and the site will return the direction the antenna must point to pickup the stations. I am using a Winegard Sensor mounted on the Dish pole and picking up 30 digital channels in the Chicago area.

rnesky said:
According to the equipment you have, you need a device, either a HD satellite receiver with the digital input or a tv with a digital tuner and I didn't see mentioned where you had either.

Absolutely correct - I assumed too much when I suggested the Silver Sensor. What is the SS going to be plugged into? Dish receivers capable of receiving OTA HD include the 6000u (w/ optional module), 811, 921 and 942.

I have the 811. I tried antennaweb it has only a PBS listed. I thought I mentioned that earlier.

OK, try the Silver Sensor with the 811 and see if you have any luck. antennaweb.org is very conservative so you'll probably be able to do better than just PBS - then again, maybe not because you're limited to an indoor antenna. The Silver Sensor is a directional antenna. Do you know what direction to point it (i.e. location of transmission towers)? Hopefully the transmitters are all clustered in the same general area so you won't have to keep repointing every time you change the channel.

In case you don't know where the transmission towers are, use this link - http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp - to find them by your lat and long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts