Cant get Dish to stop calling my celll phone!! sometimes 4x a day for an account I dont have!!!

chevy521

Original poster
May 9, 2011
sflorida
Over the past few months I have been getting several call from Dish Network about my service being disconnected if I don't pay the bill soon.

I don't have a Dish account, evidently someone has given them my number as a home number and I can't get them to stop calling me. This person is late every month and the calls start like clockwork for about 5 days until I get a call that my service has been turned off! Then it stops for about another 3 weeks (they probably pay the bill!)

I have talked to several customer service reps and have been told that they cant change it because I am not the customer. they have offered to put a note on the account to get a new number when they reconnect, but every month we go thru the same crap!

Its getting old and needs to stop. Who can I call to finally get this taken care of!!

It is always an automated message, and when I call Dish and put in my number It switches to Spanish and takes a while to get an English person, then we go through the same deal again, then next month the calls start again!!!

These calls keep racking up my cell mins and are costing me money!

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

Next time they call tell them you have not been receiving any bills in the mail and ask them to verify your address. Then go to that address and talk to the people there about it. or switch cell phone numbers. or ask one of the D.I.R.T guys on here to help such as Matt.

I have a different approach. Just tell them to cancel, disconnect, terminate, whatever account is on the number they are calling. Your account is not using it. When the other person calls to find out what happened he or she can fix it.

They will not let me make any changes to the account, I had the persons name at one time and tried to change the number but couldn't verify personal info so they wouldn't do it.

I have talked to them several times and they since the account is tied to the number and I dont have the info I cant change it.

If its the same number calling you set that ringer on your cell for that number to be "off"....works great on people you dont want to talk to, collection agencies, relatives etc :)

phone call comes through but I dont know it did unless they leave a message :)

I had (have) the same problem with DirectTV. I called the number on the cell phone and ask to speak to a supervisor. I explained that my wife had a new phone and was given the number they were calling. I told them I had DISH and did not want direct. No more calls for a week now. I think you just have to talk to a competent sup. Good luck.

bmuone said:
I had (have) the same problem with DirectTV. I called the number on the cell phone and ask to speak to a supervisor. I explained that my wife had a new phone and was given the number they were calling. I told them I had DISH and did not want direct. No more calls for a week now. I think you just have to talk to a competent sup. Good luck.

This would be the best bet. Someone will change the number. Call in and explain again and ask to speak to someone in the US if you so desire and then ask to speak to a sup and they can help you. Of course to get anything you have to be nice. Not saying you aren't. Just adding my opinion.

Over the past few months I have been getting several call from Dish Network about my service being disconnected if I don't pay the bill soon.

I don't have a Dish account, evidently someone has given them my number as a home number and I can't get them to stop calling me. This person is late every month and the calls start like clockwork for about 5 days until I get a call that my service has been turned off! Then it stops for about another 3 weeks (they probably pay the bill!)

I have talked to several customer service reps and have been told that they cant change it because I am not the customer. they have offered to put a note on the account to get a new number when they reconnect, but every month we go thru the same crap!

Its getting old and needs to stop. Who can I call to finally get this taken care of!!

It is always an automated message, and when I call Dish and put in my number It switches to Spanish and takes a while to get an English person, then we go through the same deal again, then next month the calls start again!!!

These calls keep racking up my cell mins and are costing me money!

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

Will you send me the phone number this is happening on in a Private Message?

I'll see what account it is tied to, and will try calling the person to get an updated phone number

You should be able to fax a complaint to Dish attention billing, explaining their automated system is calling your phone number and you wish it to cease. Include a copy of your bill page from your Cell phone ,,, black out any info you need to, and refer the rep to that page ... its against the law to continue calling a number when a person establishes the phone number as "theirs", regardless of dish having it "linked" to some user's account. Its dish's problem in removing the phone.. and after notification if they continue they can be sued for continued abuse.

Dish's people need confirmation (hence the bill payment sheet) that the phone number is wrong.. and if they have no other option to stop the automated system, then they need to deactivate the account, period. When the user calls in to complain that their service is off .. they give the phone number, there should be adequate notes on the account that the phone number is not to be called, and that the user calling in would be required to prove they have that phone number in their name.. etc..

try asking to be put on the do not call list, every big company has one
The problem is do not call lists don't supercede debt collection. They have the phone number incorrectly associated as the contact method for a customer account. Most likely the only number for the account ... which causes problems for dish to get it removed I'm sure ... I think once the OP proves to dish, dish's only option is to change the number to 555-1212 or some other pre-arranged phone number, or to completely cancel the account and require the real account holder to restart (most likely without a fee associated, though dish could approach as they wish). The key point is proving who has the number, and once proven its the OP's, dish is required to stop abusing the wrong phone number.

I have been receiving cell phone calls from Dish Network 866-668-8047 telling me I haven't paid my bill. I don't have Dish Network and never have had Dish Network and never will have Dish Network.

My cell phone is for my business (it's on my business cards, letterhead, website, etc), so changing the number is put of the question and, quite honestly should never be an option.

Even Pizza companies will call me back on the phone number I give them, just to confirm the phone number so they can deliver a $5 pizza!!! How is it that Dish Network cannot confirm a phone number before signing anyone up for service? That would eliminate all the "wrong" number issues assigned to an account. It would further address the issues associated with cell phone companies re-issuing numbers from canceled plans, that were used on previous business agreements.

One simple call to the number given by the supposed "honest" customer, would clear up the mess. Instead, DISH Network just signs up anyone that can pull a number out of a hat or body orifice and then harasses the the person that really has that number. It's like the colleges that sign up the homeless to get student loans...

If Dish Network says they can't do anything about it, they are wrong. I confirm EVERY phone number before completing any transaction and I avoid these exact problems. If I can do it, so can Dish Network. We operate on the K.I.S.S. principle and it works... why can't Dish Network?

Now, what will Dish Network do to clear up my issue... Matthew?

I have been receiving cell phone calls from Dish Network 866-668-8047 telling me I haven't paid my bill. I don't have Dish Network and never have had Dish Network and never will have Dish Network.
Same thing happened to me with Comcast. Data entry error. Call and tell them to fix it.

Even in the instance of a collection call, your rights as a consumer allow you to advise the debt collector that you wish no further calls from them. At this point they can attempt to mail you or to refer the matter for legal action but they CAN NOT call you further and if they do it is considered to be harassment and you have legal recourse. Not saying that you really have a desire to take this course, but it is there. Once you notify them that you wish no further calls document that, document who you spoke with date time etc. Then should they call you again keep record of that and take all this information to your favorite attorney. Hmm is there really such a thing as a favorite attorney? :rolleyes:

Matt, see response #12. PM any of the DIRT team (Dish Internet Response Team). They work for Dish. PM one of them with your number and they can find out the account it's associated with.

With Sprint & Centurylink I can block any # with a couple of keystrokes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts