Can't Get LA Locals in HD

TechWriter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Just set up a Western Arc 1000.4, did a Check Switch, and all sats show up ok (110, 119, 129).

When I check signal strengths on various channels, I get 110 & 119 @ about 60, and 129 @ about 45.

The LA locals are on 129 transponder 4. When I try this transponder, no signal on 129. However, when I check other channels, 129 is getting signal @ transponders 18, 23, & 31.

What's up?

Are you in LA? Cause if you're not you're probably outside the spot beam footprint.

I thought LA went to spotbeam a long time ago to which the OP would have lost them. The other thing he maybe using an address out out if the LA DMA and on the edge of the spotbeam which could have been adjusted by Dish. But the question is where is the OP's receiver located.

Irony. I am in LA and can't get it as I can't pull 129. I can get 110/119/118.5 and 72.7. So I pull all HD's from eastern arc and the locals from San Diego DMA. it gets annoying when the local news hits San Diego from 110.

Yep, you are way out of the spotbeam. What is interesting is that Los Angeles is your proper locals area. I looked around at Sacramento, Bakersfield, and Las Vegas and it appears that you are in a white spot. None of those spotbeams seem to reach you. I don't see any of the LA stations on CONUS, although there once was. You might want to contact DIRT, here on this website, to see what they may be able to do.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yep, you are way out of the spotbeam. What is interesting is that Los Angeles is your proper locals area. I looked around at Sacramento, Bakersfield, and Las Vegas and it appears that you are in a white spot. None of those spotbeams seem to reach you. I don't see any of the LA stations on CONUS, although there once was. You might want to contact DIRT, here on this website, to see what they may be able to do.

Conus LA Locals were not for subs I believe. They have long been gone. What is the policy on dish in such situations where the spot does not reach. I doubt dish would set them selves for a failure such as this where the spot does not make it.

Never thought of that. Tx. I'm in Bishop, CA which looks to be out of Spotbeam 33's (LA HD locals) area.
For 129W
Go to setting on your receiver and then to the dish alignment page.
Then using the test screen, check to see which transponders in the range of 1-16 have a signal at your receiver. Those all will be spot beams.
Then go to "The List" and sort the list by transponder (click header to sort)
Then look at the markets geographically close to you that are using one of the received transponders (1-16). The transponders you see may be reused in another market but the "reuse" will be geographically distant to avoid interference. So, ignore geographically distant markets in sorted table.

You would receive any of those the locals with a correct service address.

Reactions: Bobby and TheKrell
For 129W
Go to setting on your receiver and then to the dish alignment page.
Then using the test screen, check to see which transponders in the range of 1-16 have a signal at your receiver. Those all will be spot beams.
Then go to "The List" and sort the list by transponder (click header to sort)
Then look at the markets geographically close to you that are using one of the received transponders (1-16). The transponders you see may be reused in another market but the "reuse" will be geographically distant to avoid interference. So, ignore geographically distant markets in sorted table.

You would receive any of those the locals with a correct service address.
That's kind of why I suggested the OP work with DIRT. They can, over the phone, work with him through the entire process. If they find a suitable transponder, they can do what is necessary to get him fixed in that one call...

That's kind of why I suggested the OP work with DIRT. They can, over the phone, work with him through the entire process. If they find a suitable transponder, they can do what is necessary to get him fixed in that one call...

Can they? Or would they be in violation of the law by helping him find locals he's not entitled to?

Yes it is, but the LA spotbeam doesn't reach it....
Don't bite my head off for suggesting it but.... on directv the big 4(ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX) LA locals are conus and not spot beamed. I only suggest it as an alternative, assuming an antenna won't work for ya now.

Don't bite my head off for suggesting it but.... on directv the big 4(ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX) LA locals are conus and not spot beamed. I only suggest it as an alternative, assuming an antenna won't work for ya now.

to the OP. Check the list with subscription markets.
http://satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworkmarkets&sub=true

Find out which SPOT falls in your Location. Does San Diego fall in your location? if so make it happen. Its too much effort to change providers.

And from what I see.
San Diego Spot will cover bishop. SAT 110
http://satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=E10_SB39.jpg

LA Spot is: SAT 129
http://satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=CIEL2_SB33.jpg

Once again, the OP should contact DIRT and let them help him obtain local channels that will work in his location. Because he is in the white hole there are options available to him.... and yes, San Diego might be a possiblility...

Once again, the OP should contact DIRT and let them help him obtain local channels that will work in his location. Because he is in the white hole there are options available to him.... and yes, San Diego might be a possiblility...

I tried San Diego and Sacramento locals . . . nada. Both came in as SD.

I think there are at least TWO, possibly three, Spotbeams for LA HD LiL's. Perhaps the second or third might cover Bishop, CA? However, agreed, the OP's best chance is with DIRT, and Bishop, CA appears to be within the LA DMA, so he would be entitled to LA HD LiL's, one would think. However, since the spotbeams don't see to cover Bishop, CA, the OP may be legally entitled to a different DMA for his address that Dish can provide.

Hey, OP, please let us all know how this turns out. Best of luck.

When you say 'you tried San Diego and Sacramento' did you do it through a Dish CSR? Did you try a 'move' to those cities to get the channels? Please, go to DIRT, if you haven't already. If you can get the SD channels all that needs to happen is for them to set up the HD side of it. I see you on the very fringe of Sacramento and if you get a signal at all it might be so low that your receiver automatically reverts to SD. San Diego's spot looks like you should be fine to get plenty of signal for HD to work. Once again, just 'moving' may not work and you shouldn't need to. Because you are in this white zone of your normal DMA you are entitled to an adjacent DMA that will work....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...ll&sub=true&sort=&order=&beamMap=E10_SB39.jpg

How is that possible. Both SD and HD are on the same Spot 39. If you get SD then you should technically get SD. As mentioned can you clarify how are you getting San Diego? Did you change your DMA with an SD Address? with DIRT?

Before switching DMA's test the transponders mentioned on the SAT. Saves you a lot of hassle. Have you tried testing LA TP's. Gets me to think this might as well be a tweaking situation. Let us know how it pans out.

See Below:
6407 KGTV (10) San Diego, CA - ABC 10 MPEG4 HD 110°W 29 8PSK (2/3) Spotbeam 39 San Diego, CA
8790 KGTV (10) San Diego, CA - ABC 10 MPEG2 SD 110°W 27 QPSK (5/6) Spotbeam 39 San Diego, CA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)