Can't get locals for Dothan, AL

hublar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Dothan, AL
I saw that Dothan, AL now has locals available, so I called up Customer Service to order it. After 30 minutes of being on hold I'm told that they have a known technical problem and that their IT department is working on it, and that I should get my locals in a week. Anyone ever hear of anything like this before? BTW my equipment is Dish 1000, DP44SW, DVR 622, VIP211, and a 311.

One other small gripe I have is that Dothan has no NBC station in our area, you can get NBC on cable from both Panama City, FL and Montgomery, AL. In the list of locals for Dothan they didn't include either of these stations even though they are both uplinked to dish. Now here is the kicker Panama City gets its CBS from Dothan and guess what our Dothan station is mirrored for PC so they get all of their networks.

First Time Poster long time reading this board.

Ya'll have a good one!

Hub

I saw that Dothan, AL now has locals available, so I called up Customer Service to order it. After 30 minutes of being on hold I'm told that they have a known technical problem and that their IT department is working on it, and that I should get my locals in a week. Anyone ever hear of anything like this before?

Yes. When the Dish Latino Bonus Pack came out I had a similar issue. Essentially it is a coding issue they had to work on. It took them a little over a week to get it figured out.

One other small gripe I have is that Dothan has no NBC station in our area, you can get NBC...snip

Cable and satellite work under different rules. It's just the way it is. There are numerous threads with the same gripe and the answer is always the same. :)

If it makes you feel any better, the injunction leveled on Dish about the distant network channels will affect Panama City as well. They will lose the Dothan CBS by December 1.

First Time Poster long time reading this board.

What took you so long?!! :D Welcome!

See ya
Tony

NBC for Dothan

Hey, Just wanted to post to see if there is some way of getting NBC for this market? The Montgomery NBC reaches and advertises itself as covering this entire market. The Panama City NBC reaches most of the counties in this market and advertises itself as covering the southern counties, I believe. So, my question is can the customers request coverage from one of these affiliates? Would significantly viewed apply in this case? I have called two of the local dealers of Dish about this and I do not get the impression that anyone knows exactly what will happen here. One dealer stated that they where told a decision was being made as to which NBC would cover the area, either Panama City or Montgomery. The other dealer "hoped" that a coverage decision would be made like in Panama City, where the Dothan CBS is carried in that market. The difference is the CBS states that they are Dothan-Panama City...and their tower is closer to Panama City, so they should be on there.
I had the same problems getting these turned on by Dish Network when I called Thursday, but was able to get them turned on Friday night. When I signed up the rep. sent a waiver request to the NY NBC (that was what she said could be done to get NBC..the only option she gave me), but from everything I have read, that will not be approved or do me any good as of Dec. 1. This is ridiculous, I was told 2 months ago that these locals would be on and now that they finally are, they do not even include all of the channels and no one seems to be able to tell me how I go about getting someone to do something about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Please read the thread about the distant network cut-off coming December 1. No matter what you do with the stations, waivers, or anything else at this point will stop this now.

All we can do is complain LOUDLY at our congress-critters to change the law to allow Dish to carry significantly viewed channels.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)