Can't get updated Channel Lineup

Phast

Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I realize things are 'In Limbo' at Time Trax, but I'm wondering if any of the users have had this same problem:

I can't get the channel map to update with the new channels (the ones they updated a few months ago). YES, I've asked for a Refresh from XM (a couple of times), but that didn't seem to work. They said: get your radio repaired - but I'm wondering if the problem is software or hardware? Hardware is an easy fix - $30 and I can get a new XM Direct receiver, but before I spring for the bucks, I want to be sure I haven't overlooked anything in the software. I use Ver 1.8 - and the Online version works fine - I get all the new channels.

I had my Time Trax radio off while we renovated the house, and now that it is on - I can't get the new channels such as 26, 30 etc.

Any ideas?

Phast said:
I realize things are 'In Limbo' at Time Trax, but I'm wondering if any of the users have had this same problem:

I can't get the channel map to update with the new channels (the ones they updated a few months ago). YES, I've asked for a Refresh from XM (a couple of times), but that didn't seem to work. They said: get your radio repaired - but I'm wondering if the problem is software or hardware? Hardware is an easy fix - $30 and I can get a new XM Direct receiver, but before I spring for the bucks, I want to be sure I haven't overlooked anything in the software. I use Ver 1.8 - and the Online version works fine - I get all the new channels.

I had my Time Trax radio off while we renovated the house, and now that it is on - I can't get the new channels such as 26, 30 etc.

Any ideas?

Isn't there an option to "Reload Channel List" in the Configuration drop down? I could swear there was something in there - I think you even have to restart ths software after clicking on "reload" - when I get home - I can take a look - or maybe somone else knows for sure.

Hi TestingTheTester,
Yep, tried that too, but I think I have a receiver problem - I swapped my unit for the one in my car and it had the same problem - missing channels. So I have bit the bullet and just ordered a new Direct box on ebay for $20 - I suspect a eprom issue - as it won't write the new Program Map Table - I'll know if my theory is right in a few days when I get the receiver.

Phast said:
Hi TestingTheTester,
Yep, tried that too, but I think I have a receiver problem - I swapped my unit for the one in my car and it had the same problem - missing channels. So I have bit the bullet and just ordered a new Direct box on ebay for $20 - I suspect a eprom issue - as it won't write the new Program Map Table - I'll know if my theory is right in a few days when I get the receiver.

I do not understand how getting updating channel list has something to do with eprom (especially when tested with 2 receivers)

Could you explain that to me? - I am confused.

Keep in mind that if you change to another XMDirect receiver you will no longer be able to use it with TimeTrax. The software is tied to the radio ID and any new receiver you get will have a different ID than it was registered.

pretzelboy said:
Keep in mind that if you change to another XMDirect receiver you will no longer be able to use it with TimeTrax. The software is tied to the radio ID and any new receiver you get will have a different ID than it was registered.

Right, but in DEMO mode, TT should be giving him a full channel listing. they can get the cleaner from the timetraxtech.com website.

Sure, but demo mode is all he'll ever get. That was my point. He bought another XMDirect box. He paid for TimeTrax and won't ever be able to use it with that radio for more than 15 minutes. Kinda pointless to buy another radio to not be able to use it.

Last edited:
pretzelboy said:
Sure, but demo mode is all he'll ever get. That was my point. He bought another XMDirect box. He paid for TimeTrax and won't ever be able to use it with that radio for more than 15 minutes. Kinda pointless to buy another radio to not be able to use it.

I understand...

Wish he'd come back and explain this eprom crap.

Well, I assume that the channel guide is stored in an eeprom. I would imagine that's the process when there's a change that you see on a regular XM receiver when you power down and it says to wait while it saves the new program information. I know when the channel changes occured this time around that it took a few shutdowns before the new channel map was correctly saved. I'm not sure what the 'proper' shut-down sequence is for an XM Direct to get the same effect as a wait while power down that the regular receivers have. I may have launched the XM Direct with XtremePCR to get a solid save.

I don't think the channel list is stored, I think it is downloaded every time the radio turns on. From what I have seen, it still takes a while to populate the list after start up, although it can always quickly pull information about the current channel.

I think you're confusing the content of the list versus the channel list itself. The channels themselves are stored as a channel map. The XM receivers have the same chip as Dish Network receivers. That will map out the actual channels on the receiver. This would be what's updated when XM changes the channel lineup. That is what I'm saying is stored.

You are speaking of the programming that takes a while to fill in. That's transient. Keep in mind that TimeTrax is getting that data through a fairly slow serial connection. That's the reason it takes a while to fill in the song information. Note that the 'channel list' by number down the left edge is already there when you start the software. It's the currently playing information that fills in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)