Can't log in to Dishonline with Firefox

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
I can not log in to Dishonline using Firefox. I am currently using the latest Firefox 7.0.1, but this has been happening with the past several versions of Firefox. I am using XP.

When I try to log in, the log in screen only appears briefly (for less than a second), then it goes immediately to the Dishonline home page and it says that I am not logged in. Sometimes I get this error message:

'The page isn't redirecting properly'
'Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete'.
'This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies'.

I am not refusing to accept cookies, and I have tried deleting all cookies and the cache as well, but this did not help. Log in works normally with IE8 on the same computer. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any ideas?

and if you hit the "Login" link a second time ... wait.. and then a third?

usually this happens to me ... because the web page is still downloading their stupid flash components ...

Aside from that.. I strongly recommend *not* selecting the option to remember you for login ... because it seems to cause cache problems. If you already have the option "checked" then that could be why its happening, because it thinks it knows you.. and upon redirect it still doesn't.

you should clear any dishonline and dish network cookies (you can get at them individually or go after all of them). If you want to save user/pass, let Firefox do it.. so that you still have to manually press the "Login" button on the login page.

And rather than just closing the webpage when done with Dish online .. choose the option to "Logout" and wait for it to conclude its processing.

If you don't use Internet Explorer, Dish doesn't care about you. I should know, I use Chrome, and I've been waiting for them to fix their log-in problem for weeks and weeks.

If you don't use Internet Explorer, Dish doesn't care about you. I should know, I use Chrome, and I've been waiting for them to fix their log-in problem for weeks and weeks.
Even if you use internet explorer dish doesn't care..

using IE8 on Dish Online ... if I leave it in default mode, go to My Recordings (my_dvr in the URL) it will continually try to reload the tab, and if IE catches it properly, will turn on compatibility mode for *dishonline* urls... the problem is that compatible mode more than half the time will not show the controls under the video window when doing DVR or Live TV content and so I have to take it OUT of compatibility mode .. then when I want to watch something else... I would go back to my dvr.. and it would again crash the tab repeatedly until IE saw it and re-enabled compatibility mode..

its for that and other reasons I pretty much stay away from Dish Online ... its been their worst update ever... it works fine if you're into content aggregation... the hulu stuff, the premium content, etc.. but if you really want to just use Dish Online because you have a Sling Adapter.. its the worst. hence.. I'm usually in Dish Remote Access .. it bothers me that dish keeps letting the steamroller run without correcting half of what the site is for..

Man alive I must lead a charmed life. No problems with FF7 using Dishnetwork, DO, or DRA. TG2 is right on about the damn flash trash. I left off the flash plugin from FF7 and everything is quite zippy. ;) Well, until I try to Sling something...

and if you hit the "Login" link a second time ... wait.. and then a third?

usually this happens to me ... because the web page is still downloading their stupid flash components ...

Aside from that.. I strongly recommend *not* selecting the option to remember you for login ... because it seems to cause cache problems. If you already have the option "checked" then that could be why its happening, because it thinks it knows you.. and upon redirect it still doesn't.

you should clear any dishonline and dish network cookies (you can get at them individually or go after all of them). If you want to save user/pass, let Firefox do it.. so that you still have to manually press the "Login" button on the login page.

And rather than just closing the webpage when done with Dish online .. choose the option to "Logout" and wait for it to conclude its processing.

I have already tried all of that...

I have tried hitting the log in link multiple times. The log in screen only appears briefly (for less than a second), or does not appear at all, then it goes immediately to the Dishonline home page and it says that I am not logged in.

I have never used the 'remember me' option, and I always log out after logging in (with IE8), so that is not the problem.

As I said in my first post, I have tried deleting all cookies and I also deleted the internet cache and that did not help at all.

Firefox will not display the Dishonline log in page, goes immediately to the Dishonline home page and sometimes displays the error message that I described in the first post of this thread. Anyone know what might be happening?

I have already tried all of that...
Sorry.. re-read the first.. missed that you had cleared cookies..

Safemode Firefox?
What plugin's do you have installed?

I know you don't want to hear this .. but honestly two different machines here both with FF7.0.1 and neither having that problem. I had seen the "redirecting in a way that will never complete" message ... and don't recall if I changed anything or not.. but one of the things is to try and see if anything is being denied by a policy that might cross over into DishOnline.

Cookies don't just come from one site, they can be set for multiples.. as can functional web calls to other sites.. I've built up quite the collection of denial snippets (hosts, ip's, url bits) over the years with ZoneAlarm, and with Norton I added some by default ... I primarily use FireFox now, because I'm not buying into ZoneAlarm any more when I get norton for free from Comcast ... and norton is not as easy and quick to admin as is older Avast which had web/url filtering.. even still I've had a few times where I traced it to some of the google stuff I'd blocked (fastclick/doubleclick, and similar) that were causing me problems in other places. (ie. having firefox with adblock and custom filters)

That's just my trying to explain why you may need to dig a little more into how your instance of Firefox is dealing with it.. if it happend in both FF & IE then that would point to something that could effect both (hosts file, firewall config, etc) but since only one.. and combined with it not being wide spread.. or not widely enough reported to see a trend.. that's why to look closer at how FF is running.

I did find this snippet on logging with FF...
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/HTTP_Logging

maybe that will help...

Last edited:
There is a work around that will allow you to log into DishNetwork.com through Chrome. It does require that you download and instal a plug-in. Here is the link https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd I hope this helps!

Thanks for the link. that works great!
you do realize that all it does is load an IE engine to process the page. Its nearly the same as opening Internet Explorer for yourself. And any exploit in IE could crash and or kill chrome and so forth...

add a layer of makeup and perfume to a pig... its still going to oink.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)