Can't record anymore -My first AZBOX issue

gmd63

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
My AZBOX Elite for some reason has not been able to record the last few times I have tried it. It says record failed or something like that when I try to record.

Only thing that has changed since the last time I recorded was upgraded firmware.
I put in some of the latest firmware and that did not help. Went back to the older firmware that I know I recorded with, and it still does the same thing.

Reformated the external hard drive with the AZBOX, no change. Reformated the drive with the computer and I am still not recording. Tried both USB ports.
I know the drive works, as I can still add and delete pictures and video to the USB hard drive via the network and watch them on the AZ.

I may have to try another external USB drive to see if that changes anything. I don't know why, as I have used this drive for recording with it before.

Any Ideas?

My AZBOX Elite for some reason has not been able to record the last few times I have tried it. It says record failed or something like that when I try to record.

Only thing that has changed since the last time I recorded was upgraded firmware.
I put in some of the latest firmware and that did not help. Went back to the older firmware that I know I recorded with, and it still does the same thing.

Reformated the external hard drive with the AZBOX, no change. Reformated the drive with the computer and I am still not recording. Tried both USB ports.
I know the drive works, as I can still add and delete pictures and video to the USB hard drive via the network and watch them on the AZ.

I may have to try another external USB drive to see if that changes anything. I don't know why, as I have used this drive for recording with it before.

Any Ideas?

GMD63,

Before you reformatted the drive, did you have anything recorded on it from previous recording sessions and could you play these back? This might be a good clue to something, if you could still playback, but just couldn't record further.

If this HDD is also still usable with your PC, and you can transfer files back and forth to it with your PC, then obviously the problem isn't with the HDD.

The next thing I would suspect is the connection of the HDD to the AZBox. Since you have tried both USB ports and detected the same results, it isn't likely that you just had a poor connection.

For a lack of any better ideas, and since you did mention that the most recent change was an update of the firmware, then I think that I would attempt to reformat the application area (see my sticky regarding loading new firmwares) and try it again. This is not spposed to be a required step, but if something went wrong, I might be tempted to test it. I would back-up your channel data files first (the three files that are most important), just to retain that data.

This problem is new territory, so I can only give you my best guesses at what to try. I am sorry that I cannot give you more information to fix this or any reason why it occurred. I suspect something with the most recent update that you made to the firmware, but can't put my finger on what it might be. What firmware did you have most recently that was working and what did you upgrade to when it stopped. This could also provide a clue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

RADAR

Last edited:
I was wondering about a reformat of the application area myself. I was going to wait and see if someone would say something about that.
I had read where someone had a problem doing that, so I was holding out on that as a last step.

Nothing else to lose if I want to record I guess. I'll do that and see what happens.

I was wondering about a reformat of the application area myself. I was going to wait and see if someone would say something about that.
I had read where someone had a problem doing that, so I was holding out on that as a last step.

Nothing else to lose if I want to record I guess. I'll do that and see what happens.

GMD63,

I purposely reformatted the application area over and over again, just to get accustomed to doing it and prove that it works ok. I have not had any problems and I feel very safe in doing it. Just follow my procedures in the "STICKY" about it.

I do make sure that I backup all my channel and antenna files first, of course.

It isn't all that fun as you hve to basically set up most everything else from scratch. So, be prepared for that. I pretty well covered the pitfalls in the sticky, so just follow through with that and it will save you some time and headaches.

RADAR

Radar, I looks like that did it.
Formated the area and loaded the new patch. On rebooting and trying to record it said "no recording device available".
I reloaded some of the files I saved (Channel and some extras I backed up) rebooted again, and now it seems to be working again.

So the "area" must have become corrupt and needed the format. Thanks for the thoughts.

Radar, I looks like that did it.
Formated the area and loaded the new patch. On rebooting and trying to record it said "no recording device available".
I reloaded some of the files I saved (Channel and some extras I backed up) rebooted again, and now it seems to be working again.

So the "area" must have become corrupt and needed the format. Thanks for the thoughts.

GMD63,

Hey, that's great! I am glad that it worked out. I try to reserve these options for the last resort, normally. But, that was about where you were and although they say that formatting the app area is not required, I do it once in a while just to ensure it and especially when I start seeing quirky behavior.

I think that if you perform this operation once in a while, you will feel more comfortable with it and it won't be such a "taboo" thing. It does keep you up to date and adept at setting the total system up from scratch so that you don't become rusty on the set up procedures.

Great going GMD! :up

RADAR

EDIT: Just an additional note. The AZBox is essentially just a mini-computer. With your own experience on your home computer, you should be familiar with the message "A reboot of your system is required to fully implement this update/upgrade or software installation". Remember this when you make changes or upgrade your AZBox, because the concept is basically the same. Reboot!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts