Cant stream live TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sportflyer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2014
Vancouver, WA
I just upgraded from HR24 to HR44 with a mini Genie for the BR. A DirecTV Tech did the upgrade a few days ago . The ethernet is connected to the Whole House System through a Connected Home Adapter . Ethernet is via Cat 6 cable from my Linksys E4200 Router via a switch . HR44 is accessing the Internet ie I can access youtube , pandora etc.

I have the following problems:

a)When I try to view Live TV from my laptop, the app keeps checking for a connection .

b) When I tried to view photos using HR44 Menu/Other/Photos and Music, HR44 cannot connect to the computers and media servers even though they are listed.

I checked HR44 network status and it shows Ethernet not connected . But how can this be if I can access Youtube in HR44? When I press on the "Dash" button on the Remote it says Intenet connected .

It seems to me that although I get internet access ,HR 44 is not connected to my home network . All other computers, laptops , etc are in Workgroup . Yes I am running Win8.1 and Win 7 OS .

In Windows Explorer , HR 44 is listed under Other Devices like Roku, WDTV Live, Panasonic TV etc

I have not rebooted the HR44 since installation a few days ago because it takes quite a long time to repopulate the Guide and Apps. I have also not tried to power cycle the Connected home adapter

What can I do to fix this situation ? ie how can I get HR44 to recognize my Home Network ?

Suggestions please ?

Should I get the DirecTV tech back up here since since this is less than a week since upgrade.

First off for live tv on your laptop which app are you using. All you need to do is go to directv.com and login.

As far as your 44 saying ether net not connected that is correct and working as intended. It is connected to the Internet via coax not ethernet. And this is the recommended way to do so. Using straight ethernet will end up causing problems down the road.

The media app is a canceled project from years ago. This box is not designed to view anything from your computer currently.

If you would like to play around with it you need to download a dlna server to your pc. I recommend serviio for use with directv.

So in short there is no need to contact directv as everything is working as intended.

I am using the app from Directv.com. When I click on "play" it requests that I download their app . Then restart . When I do this it keeps telling me its checking for a connection. It goes on for a long time with no results.

The Logitech Media server that I use for my Squeeze box is supports DLNA . However although its listed by HR44, I cant connect to it.

I will start the Seviio on my other computer and see whether HR44 can connect to it.

Wait a minute guys ,

When I go to DirecTV website and click on any stream live video , the website wants me to download DirecTV player. I download the player and after installing it , I go back to the Directv website and click on the same stream , I get this 'checking connection options" screen , after a while it says receiver must be on same network as the receiver . That's the problem .

The second problem is that when I go to Menu/Extras/Photo and Music , I can't connect to either my computer or my Media Server.

That's why I went to HR44 Settings to check network status and it shows no ethernet connection yet I can access internet as shown by pressing the dash button on the remote.

Perhaps the way ethernet is connected to the whole house system via a Connected Home Adapter wont work as intended? Maybe I should connect either by WIFI or plug the cat5 cable directly to HR44 without the Adapter

Your 44 is connected wirelessly. Thats the only way installers will install. As kitty says, connecting to network with Ethernet will cause issues.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If its wireless connection how come during installation I was never asked to select wireless network and enter my password? Why even bother to connect the ethernet ?

The second problem is that when I go to Menu/Extras/Photo and Music , I can't connect to either my computer or my Media Server.

That's why I went to HR44 Settings to check network status and it shows no ethernet connection yet I can access internet as shown by pressing the dash button on the remote.

Perhaps the way ethernet is connected to the whole house system via a Connected Home Adapter wont work as intended? Maybe I should connect either by WIFI or plug the cat5 cable directly to HR44 without the Adapter

I already answered this. The features you are trying to utilize are not currently supported by directv. Our boxes are not designed to work as dlna extenders.

I also said that if you install serviio on your server it has profiles that are designed to work with directv boxes. This is the only program I know of that enables these 3rd party options you are looking for.

The Internet is either connected wirelessly or via a bbdeca. And that is the proper way to connect our system. You should not try to reconfigure it yourself as that may cause you to lose vod entirely or cause mrv issues if our system detects unsupported Internet connections or two Internet sources.

In short you have no problems. Everything is working the way directv expects it to work. You are trying to use unsupported features of the box. Look into serviio for more information on that.

Lastly about your live tv from laptop I have never used it personally but I think your in the wrong area. I have used it from my Android phone and all you do is click on the program you want to watch. You don't even need to be in the home. The problem you are describing stating "download" seems to be referring to another product. The genie go. Live tv should use either flash or silverlight. This is likely a computer problem.

Wait a minute guys ,

When I go to DirecTV website and click on any stream live video , the website wants me to download DirecTV player. I download the player and after installing it , I go back to the Directv website and click on the same stream , I get this 'checking connection options" screen , after a while it says receiver must be on same network as the receiver .

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...watch-live-tv-on-your-computer-on-directv.com

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...layer-and-how-do-i-install-it-on-my-computer?

I found the problem was with my browser. I was using Chrome and it does not work well with DirectV probably due to Flash player 15.

When I changed browser to IE 11 , everything works as indicated in links above.

So frustrating, I never expected a browser issue :(

Thanks for all the inputs.

I found the problem was with my browser. I was using Chrome and it does not work well with DirectV probably due to Flash player 15.

When I changed browser to IE 11 , everything works as indicated in links above.

So frustrating, I never expected a browser issue :(

Thanks for all the inputs.
Np and glad to hear you got it working. Let me know if you have any other questions about serviio as I have used it myself... and next to no one is really going to have experience with dtv dlna. I will say however that the experience is not that great. The receivers aren't really that powerful to function as extenders for video... mp3s work well though as do jpg.

I am surprised that the squeeze box Media server does work with Directv .I it is a DLNA compatible device after all.
I find it strange that only one computer is detected by HR44 . My Tablet and other win 7 are not detected at all.

However the Menu/extras/**** is very iffy. Now I can't connect again .

I think I might just give up on it because when I listen to music I use Squeezebox and when I watch videos I just use WDTV

Guys , I simplified my connection by eliminating the Connected Home Adapter and connected the Ethernet cable directly to HR44. After turning on HR44 , everything works fine. I didn't even have to make a new connection . The status showed the same IP as assigned previously when I had the DECA Adapter in the system.

The interesting thing is now the warnings "Ethernet not connected " is replaced by "Ethernet connected". I believe that statement pertains to not using the Ethernet connection directly into HR44. So when the DECA Adapter is used , HR44 does not see the ethernet connection . This is a very confusing warning. So Poster #2 is correct in that its working as its supposed and one should disregard the " ethernet not connected warning" when a DECA is used .

However the HR 44 still cannot connect to my computer . For a while it did yesterday, now its gone ...not sure why . I was hoping a direct connection would solve it .

Guys , I simplified my connection by eliminating the Connected Home Adapter and connected the Ethernet cable directly to HR44. After turning on HR44 , everything works fine. I didn't even have to make a new connection . The status showed the same IP as assigned previously when I had the DECA Adapter in the system.

The interesting thing is now the warnings "Ethernet not connected " is replaced by "Ethernet connected". I believe that statement pertains to not using the Ethernet connection directly into HR44. So when the DECA Adapter is used , HR44 does not see the ethernet connection . This is a very confusing warning. So Poster #2 is correct in that its working as its supposed and one should disregard the " ethernet not connected warning" when a DECA is used .

However the HR 44 still cannot connect to my computer . For a while it did yesterday, now its gone ...not sure why . I was hoping a direct connection would solve it .
I reiterate all of my previous posts...

Do a search on media share for more information.

And btw just because you think everything is working fine doesn't mean it is. I can't say we don't support direct ethernet connections or that media share is a scrapped project any other ways.

And by we I guess I should clarify that I am an employee of directv. So I speak with direct knowledge.

Lastly the media share feature is using the 44 as a dlna extender not a server... so it is only able to read from devices that send a signal it can understand. As of now.. NOTHING is officially supported by directv. But serviio has a profile that can support directv hddvrs.

I reiterate all of my previous posts...

Do a search on media share for more information.

And btw just because you think everything is working fine doesn't mean it is. I can't say we don't support direct ethernet connections or that media share is a scrapped project any other ways.

And by we I guess I should clarify that I am an employee of directv. So I speak with direct knowledge.

Lastly the media share feature is using the 44 as a dlna extender not a server... so it is only able to read from devices that send a signal it can understand. As of now.. NOTHING is officially supported by directv. But serviio has a profile that can support directv hddvrs.

I dont expect the HR44 to act as DLNA server . But it should connect to DLNA servers like the Logitech Music server in my system .BTW for about 1/2 hr it did work. Now its gone again. oh well . Its not a big issue for me .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)