Can't turn of HDR on DirecTV Gemini (Sat)

iTurbo6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2023
Newport Beach
Gemini for Sat forces HDR on for everything - even things that aren't HDR. They had provided an update a while ago that allowed you to go into the Google box settings and turn off HDR since they don't have the ability to match content.

Now they've removed that ability. There is no way to turn off HDR on these boxes. HDR should not be on for non-HDR content. IDK why they can't just fix this and have it set up like Apple TV. Is it a hardware limitation? A google limitation? Or is it just their Gemini software?

Also - even with HDR locked on, sometimes I turn on the box and HDR isn't in the guide for channels that support it - the menu will say my TV doesn't support HDR - however, the picture settings for the Sony tv, still show its in HDR mode (and its obvious by the picture.) So there is a glitch in the box that turns off HDR in the guide that is only fixed upon rebooting the box too.

Reactions: longhorn23
I had the Gemini and returned it because it made HD look too dark. They need to bring back turning HDR On/Off. I think they got rid of because you had to reboot the Gemini after turning it off.

I have Gemini Sat and just got a new 4K HDR TV. I'm having the same issue with forced HDR signal. Is there any resolution in sight?
I had the Gemini and returned it because it made HD look too dark. They need to bring back turning HDR On/Off. I think they got rid of because you had to reboot the Gemini after turning it off.
Makes no sense they cannot fix this.

My NVIDIA Shield is Android/Google based, as is the Gemini, it turns HDR/DV on and off on it’s own, same for my Sony TVs, while my Roku Ultra is not Google, also turns it off/on correctly.

Read the Hooper+ has the same issue.

Last edited:
Thank goodness that option is still available on the Stream side. I agree that Direct's HDR is horrible.
I tried it for 2 minutes during the College Football Championship and switched back to SDR.

I have Gemini Sat and just got a new 4K HDR TV. I'm having the same issue with forced HDR signal. Is there any resolution in sight?
try and see if they would let you swap it for a 4K client a C61K. chances are your new tv is a smart tv. the gemini never made any sense to me