Can't use my D12 with 18" round dish. Help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pasadenadude

Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
los angeles
My home system has a SWM with 3 DVRs (1 of them a genie) an HR24-700, and an old school D12 for an analog TV in the guest room. Everything works perfectly at home. I want to use the D12 for a few tailgates and a camping trip or 2 during the year. I have an extra 18" round dish that I hook up to the D12 (satellite cable directly to satellite in - no filters), go through the entire set up, changing it to multi-switch and option 1 for the round dish. Everything goes great until after it finishes acquiring info from the satellite, I can see the headers for the channels, but no audio/video. The guide shows all the channels, I can see info on shows, but no audio/video. If I go back to redo the setup procedure, it has reverted back to SWM with option 17 for the dish (the way it is set up at home).
I called DirecTV and spent over 2 hours with them trying to set it up using every possible scenario of rebooting it (unplugging the system, hitting the red reset button, removing the satellite in cable and putting it back at different times during the process, etc.) and always get the same results. They insist there is a problem with the installation but I am POSITIVE that it is set up right. I even took the cable from the dish and plugged it into another old school receiver (not sure the model - it's silver) and it works perfectly - and I can change setups without any problem, etc. Signal strength ranges from a low of 85 to a high of 99 across the transponders. We even tried resetting it to factory defaults and it still resorts to the in home SWM, option 17 settings.

Sorry for the long explanation, but what gives? Is a D12 compatible with an 18" round (pretty sure it is)? How can I change the setup settings and make them stick? Could it be that the receiver is defective?

Thanks in advance.

:welcome to the site !

Its not just the D12, most recvrs that have been on a SWM are very difficult to get to change back.

That old school recvr, silver one, is it a DVR or a non DVR, H10 or 20 probably.
The H/HR 20 would work as well.

H10 wouldn't be much help though if thats what it is.

Try going though setup with no dish connected to get it back to multiswitch mode, then go though setup again with it connected.

I have a black D12-500 that didn't give me too much trouble when I needed to temporarily put it back on a regular switched system.

Thanks for the help folks! I'll try a few more times, but I've literally tried every possible way to get it to switch with no luck. I'll probably just borrow one from my mother in law for the Saturdays that I need it. Or just find one that'll work online.

I have a customer in a motor home with an automatic dish with the same issue.

I think the solution is to get a legacy dish setup just for switching away from swm.

You can also get a swm 8 and use it with an 18 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)