Can't use USALS to go to AMC3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adwan001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Hi guys,
I am having trouble using USALS to locate AMC3. I reset my receiver to factory settings but the problem still exists. What I can do is use 1.2 to manually move the dish then store the location but when I am on another bird and try to go back to AMC3 (while it's in USALS or 1.2 mode) I see a message saying moving to AMC3 87W (or is it 89 west? I can't remember). My true south sat is IA6. When I move between IA6 and IA5, for example, it moves perfectly. But if I try going to AMC3 the dish just doesn't move and I have to manually move it using 1.2 mode.
I am not sure what to do. I enter all the required info each time I reset and the problem seems to happen only with AMC3. I am not sure what I am doing wrong!! :confused:
Equipment: Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra, 90cm Fortec dish, SM3D12 motor. Fortec universal LNBF.

Thanks for your input

Hmm, I have an ultra too, and when my thing doesn't want to move the motor, I turn everything off, flick the switch on the back, and then it works correctly when I turn it back on.

What about playing with the LNB power? Maybe you could turn it off (the LNB power), and then shut down the whole system (with the switch at the back). Then when you turn the receiver back on, turn the LNB power back on too.

Hope that helps.

My Fortec Lifetime requires the same treatment

Elburn said:
Hmm, I have an ultra too, and when my thing doesn't want to move the motor, I turn everything off, flick the switch on the back, and then it works correctly when I turn it back on.

What about playing with the LNB power? Maybe you could turn it off (the LNB power), and then shut down the whole system (with the switch at the back). Then when you turn the receiver back on, turn the LNB power back on too.

Hope that helps.

Just this afternoon, I could not switch back from one bird to the prior bird, when watching 2 tv shows. Would have driven the wife nuts if she had been there (not sure if the problem or my watching 2 tv shows -- without regard to the actual use of 2 separate satellites -- would have made her more upset). Hit the power button on the remote control and then hit it again to turn the receiver on, no go.

Shut off power to LNB in the settings on my Fortec Lifetime Receiver, did not matter. Tried to reset settings in Antenna Setup screen, no use. Finally, kept power to LNB off, and flipped the black switch on the back of the box to the off position. Waited 15 seconds, flipped it back on, turned the LNB setting back on. Entered in the channel number for the other channel on bird no. 1, VOILA, motor recognized command and moved over to the other satellite.

Strange how these boxes can be so sensitive, or is that insensitive?

greyskies in sunny (well actually its raining again) South Florida

did not work

I was full of hope that this trick might work but it did not. I tried it several time and still can't get the receiver to move the dish to AC3. In the meantime it still moves to the other birds without a problem.
Isn't there a way to reset the motor itself and kinda clear its settings?
I don't know what else to do :(

The SG2100 has a reset button which clears the stored memory in the motor, I don't know what the SM3D12 has?

I had a great deal of trouble with AMC3. The problem was that the elevation for that satellite was more critical. Readjusted the dish elevation, tunning to AMC3, and my problem was fixed. The small change in elevation didn't effect the rest of the satellites, but made all the different with AMC3.

Hope that helps!!

Your mileage may vary.

jerryt said:
The SG2100 has a reset button which clears the stored memory in the motor, I don't know what the SM3D12 has?

I had a great deal of trouble with AMC3. The problem was that the elevation for that satellite was more critical. Readjusted the dish elevation, tunning to AMC3, and my problem was fixed. The small change in elevation didn't effect the rest of the satellites, but made all the different with AMC3.

Hope that helps!!

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure if the SM3D12 has a reset button. I don't remember seeing one before installing it but I will read its manual and see. I don't have a problem with signal quality once the dish is in the right angle. Actually, some channels have a quality of almost a 100%. The problem is only how to get the dish to move to the correct position without manual intervention.

adwan001 said:
Thanks for the input. I am not sure if the SM3D12 has a reset button. I don't remember seeing one before installing it but I will read its manual and see. I don't have a problem with signal quality once the dish is in the right angle. Actually, some channels have a quality of almost a 100%. The problem is only how to get the dish to move to the correct position without manual intervention.

How big is the dish? if you are getting almost 100%. AMC3 is very weak for me.

jerryt said:
How big is the dish? if you are getting almost 100%. AMC3 is very weak for me.

My dish is a 36' (90 cm) Fortec. Right now the signal ranges between 72% (PBS channels) to 99% (Tip TV and patient channel).

adwan001 said:
My dish is a 36' (90 cm) Fortec. Right now the signal ranges between 72% (PBS channels) to 99% (Tip TV and patient channel).

My 36" dish and Twinhan PCI card are junk then, I can barely get enough signal to watch PBS HD, 1% or 2% less signal and the video locks up. No clouds in the sky for PBS HD!!!!!

Hope to give the Skystar 2.3 PCI card a try soon.

jerryt said:
My 36" dish and Twinhan PCI card are junk then, I can barely get enough signal to watch PBS HD, 1% or 2% less signal and the video locks up. No clouds in the sky for PBS HD!!!!!

Hope to give the Skystar 2.3 PCI card a try soon.
you may need to adjust your elevation on your true south sat. peak that and you'll get everything else. try to peak the weakest transponder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)