Can't wait to get Star Choice TV

Napstr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Arizona
Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting Star Choice. I have a place down in Golden Valley, Arizona. It's near Laughlin, NV, about an hour south east of Las Vegas.

My question is, what would be a good reciever and dish to get for this area and receive sports channels? I love hockey and wouldn't mind getting the NFL package too.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Napstr

If you don't care about HD, you just need their basic reciever. Get the bigger 75cm dish.

www.starchoice.com to see their programming, and www.kusat.com is a good place to buy from. I think they can even broker the account as well if you don't have a canadian friend or relative. This forum has stickies with lots of info as well.

Welcome to the Satguys!

Well, to be truthfull, I don't know much about HD, so I'm not sure of the pros and cons of it.

If I were to want HD, would you suggest a different reciever?

As far as getting the equipment, that's not a problem. I'm dual citizen and my brothers still reside in Canada... multiple addresses to choose from :)

Napstr said:
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Napstr

Pay the extra $80 canadian to get the DSR505a HD receiver - even if you don't have a HDtv yet

Reasons:
1) You get more channels - minimum 3 sets of networks (max 4) as opposed to 1 or 2 max with SD receivers
2) downconverted HD has better PQ than SD
3) UHF remote on HD receivers
4) Faster guide
5) HD receivers are MPEG4 upgradable

Well, that helps alot everyone. Keep them coming. I will probably purchase the HDTV reciever and the largest dish they sell. Sounds good to me.

Later

riffjim4069 said:
I'll ditto what Jumbo said...plus, get yourself an HDTV. I picked up a Motorola DSR-505a (refurbished) along with the 60cm dish and they work just fine. I subscribe to the $30 essentials package for local sports (Detroit) and hockey. Make sure you read this thread

Does the 60cm dish come standard with the DSR-505a if you order it from Star Choice? Also, can you order a larger dish than the 60cm dish from Star Choice and will I get all the Channels I order??

Thanks again everyone.

Napstr

:hatsoff:

Last edited:
As far south as you are I'd get a 75cm dish. The 60cm dish is good for Great Lakes but I'd grab a 75 in Goldwater-land.

*C is more Friendly to it's snowbirds than Evu.

Napstr said:
Does the 60cm dish come standard with the DSR-505a if you order it from Star Choice? Also, can you order a larger dish than the 60cm dish from Star Choice and will I get all the Channels I order??

Thanks again everyone.

Napstr

:hatsoff:
I think the 60cm dish is standard, but you can always pay a few bucks extra for the 75cm dish. I purchase my equipment from kusat.com.

Don't order from Starchoice since they will insist on doing the install. This also is true if you purchase from Futureshop or other Canadian store. They will give you the reciever, but the dish is brought to your house by the installer.

Yes, you will get every channel they offer. You will not run into reception issues we have with Evu here in the southern provinces.

Thank God for Star Choice! I am a college football fan who uses Star Choice to supplement Dish programming. I moved to Montana recently and I can barely get a fuzzy version of ABC, whereas StarChoice gives me Detroit ABC in HD! Also, the local networks cover Montana and Montana State football games, yet I am blacked out from the regional ABC games on GamePlan. All I can say is that Star Choice has been a savior for me!

oswald said:
Also, the local networks cover Montana and Montana State football games

whats wrong with those games? :D
(I watch them via free to air)

Grizzlies look really good :)

i understand where you're coming from because the ABC station pre-empts the big game for local coverag

Iceberg said:
whats wrong with those games? :D
(I watch them via free to air)

Grizzlies look really good :)

i understand where you're coming from because the ABC station pre-empts the big game for local coverag

Yeah, I lost both the ABC regional game and the CBS game (Arkansas Alabama)! I cannot complain too much, because one of the schools pays my salary (MSU), but
I still am soooo thankful for StarChoice!

I forgot about the CBS game (cripes I watched it Saturday). Our local CBS does the same thing too. If there is an early game on CBS (11:00) its usually pre-empted for a Big 10 game (after all, I am in MN)

I like SC because our local stations always have the "weather alert" crap. The Minneapolis DMA is huge (its probably 80% of the state) so we get the weather stuff even if the weather is 200 miles north of Mpls.

Kusat seems to be excellent. Ordered this morning and it shipped already. They gave me a call and asked if I needed "assistance" and explained what steps to take. Hopefully it will get here by the weekend via ground.

Here's what I've arrived at. Let me know if good or bad. Thanks again for all your help. I'll order from Kusat tomorrow and let them broker the deal too!!! :)

Star Choice DSR505 HD System, Quad LNBF, 75cm Elliptical Dish
[SC505-E75] $234.89CAD

Click to enlarge

The Star Choice DSR505 HD receiver is an HDTV receiver with Mpeg-4 upgrade capability.

This kit also includes a Quad-output 75cm elliptical antenna capable of dual satellite reception (107.3°W & 111°W)

Star Choice 75cm elliptical dish for dual satellite reception
Dish can be connected to up to 4 receivers
Star Choice DSR505HD satellite receiver for Home Theatre Systems
Integrated High Definition Decoder
DVI Output - for enhanced 100% digital picture!
Mpeg-4 upgrade capability for future HDTV broadcasts
Dolby Digital Output (Optical & Coaxial)
Ethernet & USB connections
Dual RCA Outputs
Caller ID Display (when connected to a phone line with Caller ID Services)
Improved Motorola On-Screen Graphical interface
UHF Remote capability
Receiver comes with a 4 in 1 IR remote
Audio/Video cable (yellow / white / red phono jacks)
50ft phone cord
See our Star Choice section for details on Star Choice systems and current promotions available if you become a new Star Choice subscriber

Note: For top of the line DVI, HDMI and Optical Cables, please visit our Home Theatre cable section.

Available Options:

Online Credit: Select here . . .Ten Dollar ($-10) Online Credit (-$10.00CAD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts