Can't wait to get Star Choice TV

Here's what I'll order. Tell me what you think.............hopefully when I order tomorrow, it will get here by early next week. Thanks again and let me know if you have anymore thoughts about the equipment
:)

Star Choice DSR505 HD System, Quad LNBF, 75cm Elliptical Dish
[SC505-E75]

The Star Choice DSR505 HD receiver is an HDTV receiver with Mpeg-4 upgrade capability.

This kit also includes a Quad-output 75cm elliptical antenna capable of dual satellite reception (107.3°W & 111°W)

Star Choice 75cm elliptical dish for dual satellite reception
Dish can be connected to up to 4 receivers
Star Choice DSR505HD satellite receiver for Home Theatre Systems
Integrated High Definition Decoder
DVI Output - for enhanced 100% digital picture!
Mpeg-4 upgrade capability for future HDTV broadcasts
Dolby Digital Output (Optical & Coaxial)
Ethernet & USB connections
Dual RCA Outputs
Caller ID Display (when connected to a phone line with Caller ID Services)
Improved Motorola On-Screen Graphical interface
UHF Remote capability
Receiver comes with a 4 in 1 IR remote
Audio/Video cable (yellow / white / red phono jacks)
50ft phone cord

scooby2 said:
What happens when Anik F3 goes to 118? Time to buy a new dish?
SC will not be using F3. When F3 comes on line some non SC services will be moved from F2 to F3 to give Cancom/SC 26 transponders on F2

The SC dish "sees" from 105 to 118. Plans are for additional transponders in the 2009/10 timeframe on a new satellite. Looks like will be either on a new BSS satellite @107.3 in which case only a LNBF upgrade will be required or a Ka satellite @107.3 which would require dish + LNBF upgrade. Either way a long way off.

Napstr said:
Here's what I've arrived at. Let me know if good or bad. Thanks again for all your help. I'll order from Kusat tomorrow and let them broker the deal too!!! :)

Star Choice DSR505 HD System, Quad LNBF, 75cm Elliptical Dish
[SC505-E75] $234.89CAD

Click to enlarge

The Star Choice DSR505 HD receiver is an HDTV receiver with Mpeg-4 upgrade capability.

This kit also includes a Quad-output 75cm elliptical antenna capable of dual satellite reception (107.3°W & 111°W)

Star Choice 75cm elliptical dish for dual satellite reception
Dish can be connected to up to 4 receivers
Star Choice DSR505HD satellite receiver for Home Theatre Systems
Integrated High Definition Decoder
DVI Output - for enhanced 100% digital picture!
Mpeg-4 upgrade capability for future HDTV broadcasts
Dolby Digital Output (Optical & Coaxial)
Ethernet & USB connections
Dual RCA Outputs
Caller ID Display (when connected to a phone line with Caller ID Services)
Improved Motorola On-Screen Graphical interface
UHF Remote capability
Receiver comes with a 4 in 1 IR remote
Audio/Video cable (yellow / white / red phono jacks)
50ft phone cord
See our Star Choice section for details on Star Choice systems and current promotions available if you become a new Star Choice subscriber

Note: For top of the line DVI, HDMI and Optical Cables, please visit our Home Theatre cable section.

Available Options:

Online Credit: Select here . . .Ten Dollar ($-10) Online Credit (-$10.00CAD)

You are on the correct track.
Star Choice and Dishnetwork together on the same receiver is the way to go.
You will be impressed with the Star Choice picture quality.
Remember, a person can call Star Choice every day if you wish to change programming without any penalties or problems or commitments.
I have found the best time to call is early morning around 6AM Eastern for a fast pickup of a human voice instead of recordings.
Try to have your " Service Address " in the Toronto area. This will give less blackouts on some sports than other areas. :up

Clancy said:
You are on the correct track.
Star Choice and Dishnetwork together on the same receiver is the way to go.
You will be impressed with the Star Choice picture quality.
Remember, a person can call Star Choice every day if you wish to change programming without any penalties or problems or commitments.
I have found the best time to call is early morning around 6AM Eastern for a fast pickup of a human voice instead of recordings.
Try to have your " Service Address " in the Toronto area. This will give less blackouts on some sports than other areas. :up

Clancy, I am puzzled by your comment "Star Choice and Dishnetwork together on the same receiver". The systems are totally incompatible. Star Choice uses secure Digicipher II encription. All receivers must be tagged to an active account to function. Their satellites transmit linear (H & V) polarization. Dish Network currently runs Nagravision 2 encryption, which I understand has been compromised from time to time. Their primary satellites (61.5, 110, 119, 129 and 148) all transmit circular polarization. So I'm at a loss to understand how both services can be viewed from a common receiver.

Getting back to just Star Choice, I wholehartedly agree with Napstr's hardware choices. But I understand that if you go through a broker, all programming changes must be made through them, and they usually charge a fee for each change and of course an annual fee.

Last edited:
Satellite Expert said:
SC will not be using F3. When F3 comes on line some non SC services will be moved from F2 to F3 to give Cancom/SC 26 transponders on F2

The SC dish "sees" from 105 to 118. Plans are for additional transponders in the 2009/10 timeframe on a new satellite. Looks like will be either on a new BSS satellite @107.3 in which case only a LNBF upgrade will be required or a Ka satellite @107.3 which would require dish + LNBF upgrade. Either way a long way off.
Thank you for the info. I was not aware that SC* would not be using F3.

carl033 said:
Clancy, I am puzzled by your comment "Star Choice and Dishnetwork together on the same receiver". The systems are totally incompatible. Star Choice uses secure Digicipher II encription. All receivers must be tagged to an active account to function. Their satellites transmit linear (H & V) polarization. Dish Network currently runs Nagravision 2 encryption, which I understand has been compromised from time to time. Their primary satellites (61.5, 110, 119, 129 and 148) all transmit circular polarization. So I'm at a loss to understand how both services can be viewed from a common receiver.

Getting back to just Star Choice, I wholehartedly agree with Napstr's hardware choices. But I understand that if you go through a broker, all programming changes must be made through them, and they usually charge a fee for each change and of course an annual fee.

Well,

I'm holding off till I hear from Scooby. I've asked what fees are involved, annually and like Carl stated, for changes too.

I've got a Canadian address, so I don't really need a broker, but but but!!!. My address in Canada is about 5 hours from any installer, so I'm not concerned about them wanting to install the Dish either. But, I do want to know if Star Choice sells the larger 75cm dish, as I may want to order it from them, instead of KUSAT, over the phone.

Later everyone.

PS Scooby, don;t forget to let me know when you get your equipment.

Last edited:
carl033 said:

Sorry if I created some misunderstading for you.
When I said Star Choice and Dishnetwork on the same receiver , I am referring to television receiver.

If a broker is not used, one can call Star Choice themselves without charges made for program changes.

Clancy said:
Sorry if I created some misunderstading for you.
When I said Star Choice and Dishnetwork on the same receiver , I am referring to television receiver.

If a broker is not used, one can call Star Choice themselves without charges made for program changes.

Correct. I'd recommend that you still buy your equipment from Kusat. Put up the 75 cm dish and peak it up according to Kusat's guide. Then call Star Choice, tell them that you already peaked up the dish on ANIK F1 with the help of a friend familiar with the procedure, and request that they authorize your receiver. In addition to the receiver ID and serial number, they'll want you to confirm you have a good signal from a particular channel on F1.
That's it. You're off-and-running. Enjoy.

Napstr, looks like customs is screwing me now. Was supposed to be delivered today and then tomorrow and now Monday. Like our wonderful border "security" will really even check the boxes.

scooby2 said:
Napstr, looks like customs is screwing me now. Was supposed to be delivered today and then tomorrow and now Monday. Like our wonderful border "security" will really even check the boxes.
Oh they will, if it's showing in Plattsburg NY it's sitting at US Customs and could be there for awhile. Mine took over a month to arrive here in California, the box had been opened and both boxes were in pretty bad shape, the STB having been damaged. To KuSat's credit they shipped another STB right away and have yet to request the original STB back.

*c us friendly to people using *c in usa-- bev forbids it and will disconnect you if they get a whiff that you are in usa.

hi napstr my friend will be moving so i will need a Canadian address--
if you can help me please pm me.

Iceberg said:
hmm....customs never opened mine. Of course that was 2 years ago :)
I might have just been "lucky", but according to the UPS rep I talked to the US has some trade issues with Canada and sat receivers crossing it's borders. Never really got a definitive answer.

Iceberg said:
hmm....customs never opened mine. Of course that was 2 years ago :)

I've bought three different receivers from kuSat and never had any delays...but last one was 10 months or so ago...either the OP was unlucky or things have changed for the worse.

keenan said:
Oh they will, if it's showing in Plattsburg NY it's sitting at US Customs and could be there for awhile. Mine took over a month to arrive here in California, the box had been opened and both boxes were in pretty bad shape, the STB having been damaged. To KuSat's credit they shipped another STB right away and have yet to request the original STB back.
It sat in Plattsburg since Tuesday. Finally left today. Should be here Monday.:)

Got the goods today. Did not get a chance to install it before the sun went down. That dish is quite huge. Good thing its plastic.:) Hope to get it up before work and if not, after work tomorrow.

Got the dish up quickly this morning. Very easy setup. I will have to fine tune it this weekend but for now, on 299 I get about 81 signal and +9 on the diagnostic screen. I have the green dish on the receiver. Kusat got my info sent to SC* around 4:30pm eastern. Just waiting for SC* activation now. Sounds like it can take up to 24 hours.

Does the unit need to be on or in standby and on channel 299?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)