Can't win for losing - strike three on attempted new install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TominKY

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I just can't seem to get the planets aligned to get my DirectTV Genie system installed. Just went through the third attempt with no luck - took the morning off from work again - alas, no Genie.

First try was not the tech's fault - poor weather was resulting in waivers for picture quality, and as discussed in another thread, my preferred location did not have a good LOS, so we would have to go with the current chimney location where the existing E* DISH is located. Could not get up there due to snow on the roof, and the aforementioned rain squashed that one anyway. I did like the tech though - knew his stuff, and was willing to work with me on the install. Wish I had grabbed his number!

Second try was Wednesday, and the guy who showed up spoke broken (at best) English and wanted everything to be RG6 between Genies and clients. I was not aware of this, so I had to send him on his way. There is another thread devoted to this on these forums - short version: I was able to find some existing RG6 already run to my client locations, and I verified that I had RG6 running up to my location on the chimney with the existing DISH. I thought I was golden after this, so I rescheduled for today, and asked if they could get me the guy I had the first time (only thing I knew was that his name is Stu).

Third try was this morning - different guy came out. He was a young guy, early 20's, seemed reasonably well versed, but told me that he cannot use my existing RG6 runs to the chimney location because A) it is not up to DTV standards - center conductor is too thin and will melt with 21 volts across it, and B) there is a barrel connector in the run, which is apparently a no-no. To add insult to injury, this guy didn't have any RF modulators on his truck for mirroring to any standard def TV's, so I guess that is up to me. (first guy said he can provide those, no problem.)

Starting to wonder if I need a magic wand to get a Genie. This is damned frustrating for me, and now I have burned basically a full day of vacation for nothing. It would be helpful if DTV could lay out a technical Ten Commandments for customers to know about ahead of time, so that we could have an idea beforehand what needs to be in place for a successful install according to their standards. I was under the assumption that RG6 is RG6, and I don't recall any mentions in the past about having connectors inline with the run between dish and receiver.

So exactly what kind of cable to I need to have going up to the dish, and does it have to be a straight run with no splices or connections? I can understand that they are trying to eliminate any potential trouble spots, but sometimes there is no other way. I guess if I have to I will take a weekend to try to fish a cable up to the dish, under the deck, and down into the basement myself, but I want to know what to use so I don't have to do it again. And does DTV require the same magic wonder gold-plated RG6 cable between the Genie unit and the SWM, or will "ordinary" RG6 work for this?

Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic, but I'm beyond frustrated at this point. The wife is wondering why we can't just have high def satellite service like everybody else, and at this point I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Guess it's just me. ;)

Maybe it was just MY barrel connectors that he didn't like. ;)

I would be willing to sign a waiver if they would let me. If I had problems then I would go ahead and run a new line. Just want to avoid that fun project if I can.

Maybe it was just MY barrel connectors that he didn't like. ;)

I would be willing to sign a waiver if they would let me. If I had problems then I would go ahead and run a new line. Just want to avoid that fun project if I can.

The old barrels usually had White insides, they were changed out several years ago with a push to the Blue ones, those are the current ones as far as I know.

That said, you'd think he would just replace the ones with new as he came across them.

The old barrels usually had White insides, they were changed out several years ago with a push to the Blue ones, those are the current ones as far as I know.

That said, you'd think he would just replace the ones with new as he came across them.
we also have orange ones now too. :) and if ya wasn't so far away I'd come hook it up for ya. :D

Don't you guys have any red and green ones to match my lights out front? 'Tis the season, after all! :cool:

So is there agreement that the tech's claim that the center conductor on my RG6 will melt from the voltage has merit? I suppose if DTV is willing to supply me with the required length of cable I will get up on the damned roof and fish it myself. I'm getting pretty good at that these days. :rolleyes:

All I can say is that this Genie thing better be the catz azz after I go through all this trouble! :rant:

Thanks for the help!

He's full of crap saying the voltage will melt the center conductor. If it's copper clad steel then it might not show enough voltage at the lnb to work, but it certainly won't melt the wire.

I agree Chip - sounds like I could weld with that much voltage! I wish I could get the first guy out there again. He was a straight shooter that seemed to know his stuff. I didn't get the feeling that he was just a bot working for DTV and rehashing some corporate jargon like the second two guys were.

Is there any way to tell if the wire that I have is solid copper conductor core versus CCS? Will it specify it on the jacket? At this point I have almost resigned myself to running new line up to the dish location, although that is going to be a huge pain in the ass for me because it will require climbing up on the roof and either routing it down through the chimney chase or down along the outside, and then under the deck, around the outside of the house, and then I get to fish it through the ceiling to the central furnace closet where the switches are located. Not fun.

Also, can anyone confirm to me if I will also need to fish new RG6 solid copper core from the MWS switch to the Genie, or will the existing RG6 suffice? If I understand this correctly, the voltage inserter is attached to the MWS and runs the voltage up to the LNB, not to the Genie, so only that run up to the dish needs to be the supercalafrigilistic stuff. Am I correct in this assumption?

He's full of crap saying the voltage will melt the center conductor. If it's copper clad steel then it might not show enough voltage at the lnb to work, but it certainly won't melt the wire.

His exact words were that the voltage will eventually "burn out" the conductor, resulting in a service call for him. Apparently if it fails their QC they don't get paid for the install, and they can get fined.

It could be that SCC (solid core copper) is required by his company to pass inspection. It's my understanding that it's only required from the power inserter to the lnb. Maybe one of the installers can clarify that for you.

If I'm going to run it myself I guess it makes sense to just pull a single line all the way down to the closet downstairs, and then let DTV make the cut and install the connectors for the ground block before it comes into the house. Cheaper that way too.

we also have orange ones now too. :) and if ya wasn't so far away I'd come hook it up for ya. :D

Do you know what differences there are between the three ?
Is it frequencies they pass ?

Thanks for the offer .... but... I don't want anything to do with "the round room with padded walls" !

If I'm going to run it myself I guess it makes sense to just pull a single line all the way down to the closet downstairs, and then let DTV make the cut and install the connectors for the ground block before it comes into the house. Cheaper that way too.

Run 2, if your gonna run 1 ...

I agree Chip - sounds like I could weld with that much voltage! I wish I could get the first guy out there again. He was a straight shooter that seemed to know his stuff. I didn't get the feeling that he was just a bot working for DTV and rehashing some corporate jargon like the second two guys were.

Is there any way to tell if the wire that I have is solid copper conductor core versus CCS? Will it specify it on the jacket? At this point I have almost resigned myself to running new line up to the dish location, although that is going to be a huge pain in the ass for me because it will require climbing up on the roof and either routing it down through the chimney chase or down along the outside, and then under the deck, around the outside of the house, and then I get to fish it through the ceiling to the central furnace closet where the switches are located. Not fun.

Yes, it should say on the jacket ... No SCC isn't required, nice to have, but not required, like Chip said, it might be by thier company though.

Do you know what differences there are between the three ?
Is it frequencies they pass ?

Thanks for the offer .... but... I don't want anything to do with "the round room with padded walls" !

I'm going to need that padded room soon enough, with the way this install is going! :wacko:

Also, can anyone confirm to me if I will also need to fish new RG6 solid copper core from the MWS switch to the Genie, or will the existing RG6 suffice? If I understand this correctly, the voltage inserter is attached to the MWS and runs the voltage up to the LNB, not to the Genie, so only that run up to the dish needs to be the supercalafrigilistic stuff. Am I correct in this assumption?

Yes.

His exact words were that the voltage will eventually "burn out" the conductor, resulting in a service call for him. Apparently if it fails their QC they don't get paid for the install, and they can get fined.

He won't be working there by the time that might happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.