Captiveworks 700s for C band

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BuckmasterBC

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bridge Lake, BC
I have recently acquired a 10' c band dish with a GI 350i analog receiever. I am planning to slave the receiver with DVB and was looking at a Captiveworks 700s for only $20. Anyone have any experience with this receiver - it has blind scan which I really need for this setup but wonder if the blind scan works well?

I had the 600 and the blind scan was pretty worthless

For $20 you can find a cheap Pansat/Fortec or Coolsat that has a MUCH better blind scan than the Captiveworks

Which models do you prefer, Iceberg?

As I recall, the Pansat 2700 and 3500 (but NOT the 2800) can control the LNB polarity servo. (but none of these brands can move the dish).
Maybe that's not so much of a plus, but a few Pansats are about the only ones which can.

The Fortec Star receiver model Mercury II was pretty good.
There were two other model names with the identical board inside (just different cosmetics on the case).
I forget their names, but any of 'em would get the job done.

And thinking back, the most popular standard def receiver (maybe of all time) was the Coolsat.
Coolsat 5000 and Coolsat 6000 were cosmetically different, with a modest internal difference.
Basically the same receiver, to the point they're interchangeable.
There has been some legitimate 3rd party firmware for them, polishing a pretty good box even more.
(we have that info here on the forum)
They occasionally go for $20, so not a hard choice to make. :up

Really any will work fine

Coolsat 4/5/6000 are pretty much the same sans cosmetic
The Pansats are kinda the same. I have a 1500 & 2500 and the only difference is 2500 has S-Video and AC-3 output. 2700/3500 have polorotor control

If you can find a 3500 that would be the best for SD only...obviously a 9200 for HD or S2 ;)

Older Fortecs had menu graphics like Pansats. Newer ones (Merc II, Classic) work really well too

I say if you grab one of those 3 brands you cant go wrong

I am on the fence between these old SD boxes and something like the Openbox S10 - I can get the S10 for $139. Seems like the advantages of HD could make it worth difference in price. As I mentioned, I am using an analog box (GI 350i) to control the dish and then will use a DVB to scan the birds. Looking for any comments. Thanks.

Since you have C-Band (and can afford it) I'd get a S9/S10 unit. There is alot of HD and DVB-S2 on C-Band so it woudl be worth it
If you were KU only I'd think otherwise ;)

I own a Captiveworks 700s. With the latest factory software, the blind scan is thorough but agonizingly slow. The software is buggy in any version. The menu system is confusing to me. I would not recommend this receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)