Carbon UI email from dish

Are all older receivers (722, 612, 222, 211) going to be phased out in near future?

Since there are more 722/612's etc (Vip equipment) in use than all the Hoppers, no. It looks to me the opposite right now, DISH is finding ways for reduced costs for the subscriber (Flex, current customer $10 off and price freeze, much lower HBO, continuous movie pack reductions etc.) Unless they reduce the Whole Home fee making people now paying $7 or $10 DVR fees pay $15 for equipment and services they don't want, meaning no choice doesn't seem in cards anytime soon.

I hope this is just another Hopper glitch and not some new mandate from channel owners that recorded content can't be viewed unless the channel it came from has an active subscription.

So far only one person lets hope it stays that way. (Even though reading the posts makes it look like two people)

I still haven't gotten the email.

I'm not so sure the ViPs still outnumber the Hoppers. Don't most new customers, some high percentage, get Hoppers? Considering churn and the number of years that have gone by since introduction, I wouldn't be surprised Hoppers were the most popular class. It seems to me there were a LOT of upgrades each time a new Hopper came out.

My guess is that the ViP receivers outnumber Hoppers currently. I don't believe that the average customer upgrades their hardware anywhere near how members here do.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am sitting here bored and want to force download but have hopper with s/v s621. Will forced download work with this hopper? Will early hoppers get download to carbon ui.

The original Hoppers are said to be getting the CUI.

Be careful what you wish for.

I am sitting here bored and want to force download but have hopper with s/v s621. Will forced download work with this hopper? Will early hoppers get download to carbon ui.

I installed a Hopper 1 for a customer not long ago and it downloaded the new CUI during setup.

Last number I saw was 6.5 'million Hopper users... so my guess at this point is the majority have Hopper systems of some generation. Granted it's been more than 2 years since I have seen that number.

Reactions: navychop
Sure hope they have a new version before the automatic download. The version we are running today still has major issues with managing timers.

Yeah...it would be a bit of a pipe dream to think that Dish would continue indefinitely trying to support two different software/interfaces on the same hardware.
Yup! I'm sure that's why Charlie wants it to happen. Also, the Echostar software people are now having to also reaslly focus on SlingTV's coming features as it takes it place to, maybe, becoming more popular than Dish in the coming years. The OTT MVPD service is now highly competitve with DirecTV Now's launch. More such OTT services may still come. The fewer software/interfaces the more effeicient.

I installed a Hopper 1 for a customer not long ago and it downloaded the new CUI during setup.

My 1st 2 Hopper customer ever was a 2-H1, 4-J1 install. One of his Hoppers died a couple of weeks ago. The replacement H1 automatically downloaded the CUI when I installed it. The Customer wasn't happy at all with the new CUI (old dog, new tricks) and the system was virtually unusable with each Hopper running different UI's. The only fix was to do a forced CUI download for the other Hopper. All of the missing Whole Home System functions seemed to be restored after the download. The problem is, the Hoppers are now very slooooow (3-5 second remote response). It's as if the H1 hardware can't keep up with the CUI software. After 2 weeks and no speed improvement, I've got the customer scheduled for an H3 system upgrade on Friday.

The problem is, the Hoppers are now very slooooow (3-5 second remote response). It's as if the H1 hardware can't keep up with the CUI software.
Goes right along with the announcement Dish made months ago that the Hopper 1 would not get the s/w update because the hardware was insufficient. Then they changed their mind and decided that this generation of Hopper would get it. Maybe the plan is everyone will complain, they'll offer them a Hopper 3, hook them for another 2 years, and then only have to support (2) generations of Hoppers. Repeat this with the Hopper w/Sling models and eventually they'll just have Hopper 3 units to worry about. Of course, by then, the Hopper 4 will be out....

After 2 weeks and no speed improvement,
Of course it didn't. Software can't make hardware faster.

Goes right along with the announcement Dish made months ago that the Hopper 1 would not get the s/w update because the hardware was insufficient. Then they changed their mind and decided that this generation of Hopper would get it. Maybe the plan is everyone will complain, they'll offer them a Hopper 3, hook them for another 2 years, and then only have to support (2) generations of Hoppers. Repeat this with the Hopper w/Sling models and eventually they'll just have Hopper 3 units to worry about. Of course, by then, the Hopper 4 will be out....
Meanwhile, my 722 will still work flawlessly. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)