Carnival Row - Amazon Prime

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
A fairly engrossing, not too fantasy that hauntingly parallels today's xenophobia. Wonderfully produced and spectacular visuals...and Jared Harris to boot! I'm glad Amazon has already renewed it for S2.

Last edited:
Reactions: wormil and Zookster
I've enjoyed the first two episodes so far. Really cool world and visuals. I heard the overall story arc isn't so great, but I'm managing my expectations and just going along for the spectacle (and Tourmaline :)).

We've watched the first four episodes and the make up, sets, cgi, characters, world building are all excellent. But they have a lot of plotlines running for 8 episodes which makes it feel like a fantasy soap opera.

We've watched the first four episodes and the make up, sets, cgi, characters, world building are all excellent. But they have a lot of plotlines running for 8 episodes which makes it feel like a fantasy soap opera.
Well, I think the story lines all comes together at the end quite well, though not as one would hope.

Well, I think the story lines all comes together at the end quite well, though not as one would hope.
Well that will be interesting considering some of the characters seemingly have nothing to do with one another and live in different social strata.

I think it would be cool if in S2 they tell stories from the Pact point of view.

I suffered through episode one, managed to make it halfway through episode two. That's all I could take.

The "Art Director/Designer" of the show deserves an Emmy nomination!

I've heard some people complain it's too dark on their fancy-schmancy 4K/HDR TVs, but it looks great on my 10+ year-old 1080p Panny plasma. :D

Just watched episode 6 last night. Definitely a feast for the eyes. The look very much reminds me of one of the early games made for the PS4, The Order 1886. The game even includes werewolves, though not communities of fae-like people.

I've heard some people complain it's too dark on their fancy-schmancy 4K/HDR TVs, but it looks great on my 10+ year-old 1080p Panny plasma. :D
Looked great on my OLED! Yes, there are quite a few dimly lit scenes, but they fit the settings/tone.

I finally finished the show, some nice twists and turns along the way.

My only complaint was that Orlando Bloom's character seemed to be channeling his inner Kit Harrington. Maybe it's me, but if I closed my eyes, I could swear it was Jon Snow reciting the lines…

The scene at the monastery in the snowy mountains when Bloom was in uniform and covered up with cold-weather gear reminded me for a second of Jon Snow at Castle Black, but that's as far as it went.

Some early reviews of the series claimed Carnival Row was trying too hard to be like Game of Thrones. Either the GoT reference in these reviews was for clickbait SEO purposes or the reviewers have no concept of the fantasy genre outside of GoT, Harry Potter, and LOTR, as in "Everything must be compared to the big three fantasy franchises because otherwise I have no frame of reference for writing about this show."

Aside from the above referenced scene and the political mechanations and use of dark magic, which is common to almost every fantasy story ever written or filmed, there was nothing about this show that remotely resembled Game of Thrones to me.

I finished watching it last night and really enjoyed the series overall. It's about what I expected based on previews and the first couple of episodes: a procedural crime investigation touching on the highest levels of society, set in a fleshed-out, unique fantasy world with obvious parallels to our current world, with amazing production design, and interesting and engaging characters. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Now on to finishing the new Prime series Undone, which is off to a great start in the first two episodes I've watched.

Reactions: Foxbat
I didn't get Jon Snow at all but Bloom was under utilized.
Just the voice. Silly thing, I know, and it should in no way deter people from watching this.
Now on to finishing the new Prime series Undone, which is off to a great start in the first two episodes I've watched.
I was wondering what to watch next, and you might have given em the push to check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)