Cascading SWM 1x4 Splitters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davefackler

Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Webster, KY
I have a Slimline-5S (SWM) DirecTV dish. During the initial install, the technician put a SWM 1x2 Power Passing Splitter in place and then cascaded two SWM 1x4 Power Passing Splitters from that. That allowed him to hook up 6 receivers (one HR24/100 HD DVR, three HR24/700 HD receivers, and two D12/700 standard receivers) plus a DECA Broadband Adapter and the standard Power Inverter as follows:

- Cable from the dish into the Input on the SWM 1x2 splitter
-- Output 1 from SWM 1x2 splitter to Input on first SWM 1x4 splitter
-- Output 1 from first SWM 1x4 splitter to Power Inverter
-- Output 2 from first SWM 1x4 splitter to HR24/100 HD DVR
-- Output 3 from first SWM 1x4 splitter to DECA Broadband Adapter
-- Output 4 from first SWM 1x4 splitter to first HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 2 from SWM 1x2 splitter to Input on second SWM 1x4 splitter
-- Output 1 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to second HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 2 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to third HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 3 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to first D12/700 standard receiver
-- Output 4 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to second D12/700 standard receiver

Since that installation, we've added two new HD TV's to our house. So, I ordered two additional HR24/700 HD receivers from DirecTV. Since all the existing output ports on the two SWM 1x4 splitters were taken, I picked up another SWM 1x4 splitter. I now have them cascaded as follows:

- The cable from the dish comes into the first SWM 1x4 Splitter
-- Output 1 from the first SWM 1x4 splitter to Input on second SWM 1x4 splitter
-- Output 1 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to Input on third SWM 1x4 splitter
-- Output 1 from third SWM 1x4 splitter to Power Inverter (so that power passes back up the chain to all the splitters and the dish)
-- Output 2 from third SWM 1x4 splitter to HR24/100 HD DVR
-- Output 3 from third SWM 1x4 splitter to DECA Broadband Adapter
-- Output 4 from third SWM 1x4 splitter to first HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 2 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to second HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 3 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to third HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 4 from second SWM 1x4 splitter to fourth HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 2 from the first SWM 1x4 splitter to fifth HR24/700 HD receiver
-- Output 3 from the first SWM 1x4 splitter to first D12/700 standard receiver
-- Output 4 from the first SWM 1x4 splitter to second D12/700 standard receiver

Should this configuration work? When everything is wired, I'm getting what seems like random issues on different receivers. For example, a receiver will start showing an error stating signal loss. When trying to troubleshoot, if I reset the receiver or try the receiver setup again, I'll get errors related to signal distribution and sometimes get a message stating that a hardware upgrade is required. If I unplug a receiver, then reset the receiver with issues, it will come back online. But once I plug the other receiver back up, then I'll get a similar error on it or another receiver.

So, it seems like there are too many receivers. Or that cascading three SWM 1x4 splitters is just a bad idea in general. Should I get a different piece of hardware? And if so, what? Ultimately, what's the "best" way to hook up seven receivers (plus the broadband adapter) to a Slimline-5S (SWM) dish??

Thanks for any help. Hope the above is not too confusing! I'm a computer guy by trade, so I've done lots of wiring in my day (and wired my whole house with coax, Cat-5, etc.) but I'm somewhat new to DirecTV equipment and would prefer to not have to pay for a technician to come to my house :)

Dave F.

my head hurts from trying to read that......seriously

BUt honestly you have too many tuners. In the original setup you had 7 tuners (1 DVR, 3 HD receivers...you said HR24 but meant H24, 2 SD receivers). The installer should have just put up a 8 way splitter

Now you added 2 HD receivers to give you 9 tuners...the SWM "stock" setup can only handle 8 tuners. You need to switch out the LNB to the NON SWM setup and get a SWM16. 4 lines from the LNB to the SWM16 and then hook receivers from there. Or just drop one of the SD receivers and then you'll have 8 tuners.
If you do that I'd get rid of that splitter cluster**** and just go with a 8 way SWM splitter...much cleaner

Iceberg,

Thanks for the reply -- and sorry about the post (just couldn't come up with a better way of explaining what I had).

So, is replacing the current LNB with a different one something I can do myself? Or does DirecTV frown on that type of DIY work? I'd really like to be able to have all 9 receivers working (I'm assuming the HD DVR counts as two receivers since it can record two shows at once?), so it sounds like I do need to change the equipment. I'm a little worried at what the cost might be if I get it done through DirecTV... Or is that type of upgrade something that would be covered normally with a standard installation fee?

Thanks again!

Dave F.

Iceberg,

Thanks for the reply -- and sorry about the post (just couldn't come up with a better way of explaining what I had).
no worries...I just starting reading it and was like "oof"

So, is replacing the current LNB with a different one something I can do myself? Or does DirecTV frown on that type of DIY work?
you can do it yourself. All you have to do at the dish is swap out the LNB to the non SWM output (it has 4 outputs instead of 1)
And here is something like the SWM16
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-SWM...lite_Signal_Multiswitches&hash=item3a7d363eec

I'd really like to be able to have all 9 receivers working (I'm assuming the HD DVR counts as two receivers since it can record two shows at once?), so it sounds like I do need to change the equipment.
correct. You count each TUNER not receiver. As example I have a HR34/Genie so that counts as 5 tuners
I'm a little worried at what the cost might be if I get it done through DirecTV... Or is that type of upgrade something that would be covered normally with a standard installation fee?
I honestly dont know. Most tuners I had active was 7 and that is when I went from 2 R22's (HD DVR) and a HR23 to a HR34. I kept one of the R22's active for a week while I got the programming off of it. You can call Directv and see what they say to upgrade. But you might be able to do it cheaper. But remember you will have to run 4 lines from the LNB to the switch.

Another option....since you have 2 D12 receivers in the mix...throw up a 18" dish and hook them to it. Then you'd have 7 tuners on the SWM and then these 2 on their own dish.

Dont even need an install.. Call in the the error code on whichever TV its on at the time, go through the troubleshooting and they will schedule a service call... The Tech will put in the SWM 16. Its covered in the cost of the service call (49.95).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)