Cband analog video quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
How is the quality of a cband analog channel?Is it vhs or better dvd quality or better.Does it look better than dishnetwork or directv?

It would look like any other analog signal I would think, the better the strengh and quality of signal the better the picture, just like ota.

Although I have never seen Dish or Directv, based on what I know analog is better, as long as you have good signal.

With analog, you have analog artifacts (most notably "sparklies") on weaker signals. With digital, you have digital artifacts (compression noise) which is more noticeable on low bandwidth channels or on transponders carrying plenty of channels.

With digital, the picture won't improve as your signal quality does (for example, a 60 quality signal on a Pansat looks as good as a 99). You either have a viable signal or you don't. Dish and Direct often compress the **** out of their streams, so in many cases, a well-aimed dish picking up an analog signal may yield a better picture than the DBS sats do.

Ummm....yeah. D* and E* looks like crap. Maybe not QUITE as bad as some of the transponders on IA5 with about 8 channels on one TP, but it's bad. Blow it up on a 60" screen and you want to puke. Seriously, it's that bad. Haven't watched any analog content but I'm SURE it's better than D*/E*.

The picture quality of a properly aimed C-band system with good signal strength will blow the doors off of ANY DBS system I've seen except high defenition!!!

The picture you're getting from a C-band dish is the source for most DBS providers. It's pure, un-molested video.

Lets put it this way

Analog is 1 channel per transponder
Dish & Direct put up to 12 channels per transponder (at least 10)

I’ve seen lots of analog KU and the picture is awesome. C-Band does have some sparkies in it but as noted above, but lots of cable companies and Dish/Direct get those same channels off of C-band

So which is better?

From the source to the satellite to your house or
From the source to the satellite back to Dish/Direct so they can compress it and then back up to the satellite to your house?

Cut out the middle man : )

Heck yeah. Instead of paying $50+ a month for conveinience I'd rather roll up my sleeves and put up a Ku setup. D* touts 250 channels...I bet with a C/Ku setup I'd get more and PQ wise it is a LOT better. And it's FREE! And if I wanted to subsribe to a few channels, it's a fraction of $50 a month.

I agree that a well adjusted c/ku dish with adequate signal is second only to true (not lite) HD. Some of the analog channels on TW cable (formerly Comcast) are really **itty!! On my local cable company, the SciFi channel is about the worst.

I love how the cable companies tout their digital cable. "It's pure digital quality with amazing picture and sound quality!" Yeah, I might not get sparklies but when you cram 100 channels into that small of a specturm, it aint gonna look that great. It's sad when the analog cable picture is sharper. I'm worried about HD OTA...they're wanting to multiplex and add extra channels in the bitstream. Don't want diet HD...

Not to mention that when you get it right from the source, you get it that many nano-seconds before someone with Dish or Direct! For those of you competetive types, that just might be the kicker!

I watch c-band analog on a 100" projector screen sometimes, and the picture quality is very good. I had Dish network for 7 years and Directv for a couple before that and their stuff looks like crap by comparison. It's definitely not HD quality, but the master version of some of the SD channels can be pretty amazing.
Mike

I watched Dateline last night from NBC's 4:2:2 feed...VERY nice. Almost looked like the HD stuff on D* but this was SD material! The bitrate was like 9mbps. Can't wait to watch some real HD stuff...might pass out.

I have an 80" screen in my home theatre downstairs (projector) and can testify that the quality of some of the FTA feeds is easily better than E* maybe even by a factor of two. Most notably with the picture blown up that big you can easily see how atrocious the compression really is. On a 20" screen you can't tell the difference. Both look great at that size. My parents out west have StarChoice and from what I could tell it was even worse than E* mind you they had a really old receiver.

No, I think it really is because StarChoice really does have a terrible picture, not that my SD stuff on Express-Vu is anything to write home about but I have a friend with StarChoice (a new receiver) and a 55" tv and it looks absolutely horrible. I think the Express-Vu in SD is at least marginally better.
Dunno about Dish network, haven't really seen it since Express-Vu came out and all the "grey market" dishes disappeared. Wouldn't mind a sub. for some of the channels though.

My analog c-band looks great and is better than a lot of digital standard def stuff.
High def stuff looks awesome with the dsr-922 and the hdd-200 on digicipher.

Discovery HD theatre is stunning on my 42" toshiba HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts