CBC Anik F1R at 107.3°W Scrambled?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh well, so long CBC. Does this mean no more letters from Mr. Morrison telling Canadians what a great job they do for all those tax dollars we send them?

Once again I wanna Thank Rick Caylor for CBC to scramble their signals caz of his "open" forum.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Once again I wanna Thank Rick Caylor for CBC to scramble their signals caz of his "open" forum.

Probably not correct to point fingers in this case as these signals are going to make money when encrypted. This is Canadian's "The Big DTV Transition Plan" in action.

Unfortunately, many of our Canadian friends must now subscribe to receive their "FREE" channels since many terrestrial transmitters have been turned off during their DTV transition. :eek:

Dang, lost CBC twice in my lifetime so far. One day when there's NHL hockey again, I'm gonna miss those channels.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

No it was not his site, they had them up for testing and already had plans to encrypt from day 1.

His site is known for may feeds scrambing but not those one :)

Yeah, a CBC representative on another forum said pretty much from the day they went live that they planned to encrypt them. It was just a matter of time.

- Trip

The CTV Mux is now gone too! Maybe they had some inside information, that the NHL dispute may end tomorrow, so they encrypted them, so they can scratch the backs of the Satellite providers. So much for the open feeds, unless you buy into Shaw Direct and subscribe to the rest of their crappy SD signals.

Canadians are now being forced to pay Murdoch's News Corp (through Videoguard) even more of our tax dollars to ensure we - the folks funding the government's very expensive 'culture protecting' television network - cannot receive what we have already paid handsomely for unless we pay ridiculous amounts of money to internationally owned media conglomerates such as Bell. They certainly have a strange way of garnering support. Maybe the rich celebrities with their dedication to unbridled capitalism CBC promotes tirelessly on Dragon's Den could help them understand the relationship between funding and value.

I'd like to see one of the pizza dish folks carry cbc and ctv. I don't see that happening though. I like dragons den rather than shark attack. Marketplace is a good show too. Anything different to watch is a plus

Glad I have my dsr-600 and A cheap sub i like cbc.

Brian is right... most rural Canadians have to subscribe to Bell or Shaw to get CBC public broadcasts. Most of their OTA transmitters were shut down earlier this year. Only major cities have OTA transmitters (where they can get cheap cable anyway). Suppose all that money (we) are saving by shutting down the OTA network can pay for encryption subscriptions.

Brian is right... most rural Canadians have to subscribe to Bell or Shaw to get CBC public broadcasts. Most of their OTA transmitters were shut down earlier this year. Only major cities have OTA transmitters (where they can get cheap cable anyway). Suppose all that money (we) are saving by shutting down the OTA network can pay for encryption subscriptions.

Maybe Shaw will come out with a $9.99 plan or something.

Shaw does have a "free locals only" sub where they will send out an installer, dish, cable, and basic receiver and set it up for $0 without any contract. Part of the DTV switchover somehow; .. but get this: the free install/sub is only available inside the coverage area of their existing OTA transmitter(s). 2nd thing is the sub only last for 2-3 months, then no channels unless you become a regular subscriber, think the basic sub is about $35/mo.

I was amazed that Canadian citizens allowed this to occur. Your taxes are being collected to provide a "FREE" service that you can only access with a subscription.

Probably this DTV transition is in place because politicians realize that the rural folk won't organize and the masses in the city were given the free gift...

Bet that things would quickly change if rural residents organized and demanded free access to the "FREE" programming that they already paid for.

The CTV Mux is now gone too! Maybe they had some inside information, that the NHL dispute may end tomorrow, so they encrypted them, so they can scratch the backs of the Satellite providers. So much for the open feeds, unless you buy into Shaw Direct and subscribe to the rest of their crappy SD signals.

My heart almost stopped when I read this. Too bad, they looked so good in HD.

Probably this DTV transition is in place because politicians realize that the rural folk won't organize and the masses in the city were given the free gift...

Bet that things would quickly change if rural residents organized and demanded free access to the "FREE" programming that they already paid for.

I think you hit the nail dead on the head with that statement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.