CBC on Dish?

all of the channels you listed above are on the CRTC's "approved" list to be offered by cable/satellite in Canada

but there are LOTS that aren't due to a Canadian counterpart

Can Nickelodeon be in Canada? No because of YTV or Treehouse
Can ESPN go to Canada? No because of TSN

Most of the stations in Canada are a "Canadian" version of a US channel so they can get their CanCom requirement in. History, Discovery, HGTV, Food, CMT are a few examples.

sadly some of the broadcasters are trying to blackball US stations in Canada by going to the CRTC and applying for networks that are "like" a US station with the intent of never putting it on the air.

cablewithaview said:
BE FOR REAL !!! Yes, CTV and CBC CAN BE offered in the U.S. as is, just pick and choose the city and time zone. They are offered NOW in the U.S. and have been for a while through Cancom, Gulfcom or OTA. WWOR, WGN, WTBS and WPIX (not to mention the major four from 5 different DMA's in all) A&E, BET, CNN, The Golf Channel, CNBC, Fox News, MSNBC, Bloomberg, and TCM ARE NOT made for Canadian consumption but none the less they are offered in Canada. Should these stations be prosecuted? or relieved of there syndicated programming? No, and it will not happen on either side. I guess you need to march up to these people and tell them they can't broadcast U.S. signals up to Canada for there viewing pleasure. :rolleyes:
WWOR, WGN, WTBS, WPIX, various big 4, A&E, BET, CNN, The Golf Channel, CNBC, Fox News, MSNBC, Bloomberg, and TCM are approved by the CRTC for broadcast into Canada. Each of these stations had to be individually approved. They were and are now offered. There are plenty of other U.S. channels that were not approved and can not be offered (Boomerang, Discovery HD, etc...)
Canada and the U.S. have different rules covering television transmission, after all they are different countries.
CTV will never be offered in the U.S. as most of it's programming comes from the U.S. big 4 networks, and they rights that NBC/CBS/Fox/ABC sold them only cover Canada. If CTV was sent into the U.S. then the American network can revoke that permission.
A CBC feed for the U.S. could be made, as most of it's programming is non-american, but CBC has chosen the route of selling it's programming to U.S. stations (typically PBS) instead.

The only reason some border cable systems offer CBC and /or CTV is that they recieve them at their headends OTA, and U.S. law generally allows any station that can be recieved OTA to be retransmitted through the cable system. This was settled under the old Community Antenna TeleVision ruling.

Iceberg said:
sadly some of the broadcasters are trying to blackball US stations in Canada by going to the CRTC and applying for networks that are "like" a US station with the intent of never putting it on the air.
Teletoon Retro anyone? :rolleyes:

Derwin0 said:
WWOR, WGN, WTBS, WPIX, various big 4, A&E, BET, CNN, The Golf Channel, CNBC, Fox News, MSNBC, Bloomberg, and TCM are approved by the CRTC for broadcast into Canada. Each of these stations had to be individually approved. They were and are now offered. There are plenty of other U.S. channels that were not approved and can not be offered (Boomerang, Discovery HD, etc...)
Canada and the U.S. have different rules covering television transmission, after all they are different countries.
CTV will never be offered in the U.S. as most of it's programming comes from the U.S. big 4 networks, and they rights that NBC/CBS/Fox/ABC sold them only cover Canada. If CTV was sent into the U.S. then the American network can revoke that permission.
A CBC feed for the U.S. could be made, as most of it's programming is non-american, but CBC has chosen the route of selling it's programming to U.S. stations (typically PBS) instead.

The only reason some border cable systems offer CBC and /or CTV is that they recieve them at their headends OTA, and U.S. law generally allows any station that can be recieved OTA to be retransmitted through the cable system. This was settled under the old Community Antenna TeleVision ruling.

CTV and CBC is offered by other means to other areas then OTA with bordering cable systems. Apparently some people in this forum cannot read. They are offered in the U.S. and have been for years. In part's of Florida they carry such feeds (thanks to Gulfcom and Cancom). When you have as many snowbirds that move south for the winter and spend money like they do, you offer something for them. As a commercial provider, I can offer them if I want too. Look at this way, it's not like having an ABC affiliate from another DMA competeing with an ABC in your DMA. CBC, CTV, Global, etc. may offer some U.S. programming but are not U.S. networks.

Derwin0 said:
There are plenty of other U.S. channels that were not approved and can not be offered (Boomerang, Discovery HD, etc...)

that reminds me, Discovery HD has been approved.

Discovery HD – Canada’s First 24-Hour High Definition Specialty Service Approved by CRTC

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Toronto, Ontario (Oct. 25, 2005) – CTV Specialty Television Inc. (a subsidiary of CTV Inc.) and US-based Discovery Communications announced today that their joint venture application to the CRTC for a new High Definition (HD) specialty channel – Discovery HD – has been approved, representing a landmark in Canadian television. Expected to launch before the end of 2005, this Category 2 Digital Specialty Service will be Canada’s first 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week High Definition Specialty Service.

“Today’s announcement sets a new bar in the Canadian television landscape as Discovery HD combines one of the world’s greatest television brands with unparalleled HD production and broadcast experience,” said Rick Brace, President, CTV Inc. “CTV Specialty Television Inc., in partnership with Discovery Communications, is uniquely positioned to lead the way in the Canadian HD arena and feed a growing consumer demand for High Definition content. The CRTC approval of Discovery HD will greatly benefit not only Canadian audiences but the Canadian television production industry as well.”

“Discovery’s leadership role in the global High Definition content arena will be further strengthened by the launch of Discovery HD in Canada,” said Dawn L. McCall, President, Discovery Networks International. “Discovery’s long-standing tradition of using spectacular imagery to bring viewers closer to their world lends itself naturally to the high-definition format and makes Discovery HD the gold standard in High Definition programming.”

From science and technology to adventure and natural history, Discovery HD will represent the best of the Discovery brand and showcase a dynamic line-up of programming that maximizes the potential of HD. High Definition television is characterized by its 16:9 aspect ratio (versus 4:3 for Standard Definition), 1080i lines of resolution (versus 480i for Standard Definition), and CD quality sound – resulting in an audio and visual experience that is richer, deeper and more panoramic than Standard Definition viewing. Discovery HD marries the enhanced technology of HD with stunning Discovery programming and reveals the wonders of our world – from the massive to the miniscule – in an exciting new way: mountain ranges are more breathtaking and treacherous, oceans are deeper and broader, and space exploration is more exhilarating.

The schedule will be a compelling mix of Discovery Channel’s most popular series and specials plus original HD programming from Canadian independent producers, international producers and broadcasters from around the world. Discovery HD will broadcast live events, original Canadian productions and popular series from Discovery including American Chopper and Monster Garage. Discovery HD will also leverage Discovery Channel Canada’s unique relationship with NHK Japan – a global leader in HD technology and content – and the National Film Board (NFB). Discovery Channel Canada’s own in-house production company, Exploration Production Inc. (EPI), will also be a key HD content provider as it continues to expand its production slate, including more than 75 hours of HD production in 2005.

This newly approved channel is a stand-alone, independently scheduled channel and is distinguished from the existing simulcast service in that the content is specifically produced and broadcast to capitalize on the advantages of High Definition technology. In 2003, CTV Inc. launched its current incarnation of Discovery HD and TSN HD, followed by two HD channels for CTV (CTV HD East and CTV HD West). Since then, Discovery HD has aired more than 500 hours of High Definition programming in tandem with its popular analog service. Pending cable, DTH and other television service provider carriage, the new Discovery HD will replace the former HD service by the end of 2005. Details about the launch date and early programming highlights will be released at a later date.

In June 2002, Discovery Communications became the first broadcaster in the world to offer a 24/7 High Definition network with the launch of Discovery HD Theater in the US. The US channel has proven to be a driver for consumer subscription to High Definition television service, and is No. 1 in customer satisfaction and a leader in HD content production.

Discovery Channel Canada is owned 80% by CTV Specialty Television Inc. (a subsidiary of CTV Inc.) and 20% by Discovery Communications.

Discovery HD:
Taking Discovery Channel programming to a bigger and bolder platform, Discovery HD is Canada’s first 24-hour specialty service broadcasting exclusively in High Definition. With a fascinating perspective on science and technology, adventure, engineering and natural history, Discovery HD is at the forefront of innovative factual storytelling, fusing critically acclaimed programming from Canada and around the world with the latest in High Definition technology. Discovery HD is wholly owned by Discovery Channel Canada, a joint venture between CTV Specialty Television Inc. and Discovery Communications.

CTV Specialty Television Inc:
CTV Specialty Television Inc. is a leader in Canadian specialty television. Committed to providing Canadian viewers with the highest quality programming available, it operates world-class specialty services and production facilities. CTV Specialty has ownership interests in and operates three of Canada’s premier specialty television services - TSN, the top-rated Canadian specialty channel; RDS, the world's first French-language all-sports channel; and Discovery Channel, an award-winning specialty channel. CTV Specialty also manages OLN, featuring adventure-based programming. CTV owns interests in and operates five digital specialty channels, including Animal Planet, a specialty channel focusing on the animal kingdom; Discovery Civilization, a specialty channel devoted to studying past and present civilizations; ESPN Classic, which airs encore broadcasts of the most cherished classic games and moments from the world of sports; CTV Travel, an English-language travel channel; and the NHL Network, which delivers ‘round-the-clock hockey programming that offers viewers the most complete and in-depth hockey coverage. CTV Specialty also owns interests in Dome Productions Inc., Canada's leading provider of mobile television production facilities, as well as Exploration Production Inc. and Exploration Distribution Inc. CTV Specialty Television Inc. is owned by CTV Inc. and ESPN, Inc.

Discovery Communications:
Discovery Communications is the leading global real-world media and entertainment company. Discovery has grown from its core property, the Discovery Channel, first launched in the United States in 1985, to current global operations in more than 160 countries and territories with 1.3 billion cumulative subscribers. Outside the United States, Discovery distributes 14 international brands reaching more than 662 million cumulative subscribers. Discovery Communications is owned by four shareholders: Discovery Holding Company (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB), Cox Communications, Inc., Advance/Newhouse Communications and John S. Hendricks, the Company's Founder and Chairman.

http://www.cdtv.ca/en/whatsnew/discovery-10-05-05.htm

FWIW, can anyone link to a few cable operator's websites in states that do not border Canada and/or receive CBC/CTV/etc via satellite and carry it on their cable lineup? (And I would be interested to know with or without Syndex.)

Not every station request SyndEX, I have never had a problem carrying a UPN superstation. Never been requested to block out anything or otherwise. The local station could not give me a viewable feed. But since the SyndEX is a big thing to some then I guess every superstation along with WGN and TBS should be pulled nationally with no futher carriage outside there DMA's. Maybe we should look at some cable networks that may offer the same shows as your local station and black them out too. Operators do pay copyright fees also. :rolleyes:I know there is some shows that are SyndEX proof.

Last edited:
Something else, y'all seem to think SyndEX keeps out other stations from outside the market, wrong. SyndEX does allow a station within that market to request a blackout of certain programming they have rights to from an outside affiliate. So if I carry say, CTV and my local CBS request me to block out CSI Miami, I have no choice but to block out CSI Miami during that time since the local affiliate has the rights to the show. If you haven't notice, most cable systems usually offer at least two different DMA's in some shape, form or fashion. I have a system east of me that offers 4 different DMA's. No blackouts though, and yes they pay some copyright in order to do so. There is nothing that says these feeds cannot be sold into the U.S. but there MAYBE limits in certain markets. That depends on the broadcaster.

TNGTony said:
I will try one more time and REALLY leave the thread:

Dish nor DirecTV can carry the CBC or CTV in the US in the same form as it is presented in Canada EVER. The reasons are very simple: much of the programming on these services is owned by other US channels like Discovery Networks, PBS, NBC, CBS and other outlets. If Dish picked up CBC or CTY, every time there would be a program that another channel in the US owns the rights to, Dish would have to black out the CBC or CTV.

Now, as I stated before, even in the quoted text followed by a "yes, but why" question (essentally proving that the quoted text was not understood), IF the CBC or CTV made a channel for US consumption, a channel in which all programs have copyright clearance in the US, a channel where no other network owns the programming in the US, then there wouldn't be a problem.

No such channels exist. This is why the CBC and CTV are not available for national distribution in the US.

See ya
Tony <---Now I am really done here

The Superstation package Dish offers, is offered through certain markets that HAS NOT requested SyndEX. Dish can offer CBC Toronto or CTV Winnipeg or Global Regina in the same way basically as they do the Superstation package. Dish can get clearence before offering them. You make it almost sound like they would just pick it off satellite and redistribute without permission.

cablewithaview said:
CTV and CBC is offered by other means to other areas then OTA with bordering cable systems. Apparently some people in this forum cannot read. They are offered in the U.S. and have been for years. In part's of Florida they carry such feeds (thanks to Gulfcom and Cancom). When you have as many snowbirds that move south for the winter and spend money like they do, you offer something for them. As a commercial provider, I can offer them if I want too. Look at this way, it's not like having an ABC affiliate from another DMA competeing with an ABC in your DMA. CBC, CTV, Global, etc. may offer some U.S. programming but are not U.S. networks.

How do I go about obtaining CTV and CBC here in the Tampa Bay area? The only means I know is doing "grey" market. :confused:

WZRA-CA (channel 49) in Tampa carries some shows from CTV and NTV. But nothing that is currently show in the U.S., ie. a sanitized feed.

cablewithaview said:
The Superstation package Dish offers, is offered through certain markets that HAS NOT requested SyndEX. Dish can offer CBC Toronto or CTV Winnipeg or Global Regina in the same way basically as they do the Superstation package. Dish can get clearence before offering them. You make it almost sound like they would just pick it off satellite and redistribute without permission.
The Superstation package uses 5 channels that are exempted by law from copywrite (Superstation clause in SHIERVA). No other stations are in that situation, so the analogy is incorrect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts