CBS Audio Not Dolby Digital

bhodge10

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Hello,

I'm near Cincinnati and I have Dish HD service. I can get Dolby Digital on all of my HD channels except for CBS (HD). For example if I watch The Mentalist or Football, the TV Program will say it's broadcasting in 5.1 however, on my Onkyo 706 Receiver, it comes up as non-dolby digital. The 622 is hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and other channels will show up on the receiver as Dolby Digital. Any ideas? Thanks.

CBS doesn't broadcast in dolby digital,at least my local CBS station(Augusta,GA) doesn't. It doesn't matter,satellite,cable,or OTA,it does not register dolby. With your Onkyo receiver(I have one too),you'll just have to set your sound for either dolby pro logic II or dts neo-6. When you watch NBC,watch your receiver change from Dolby D to whatever else you have your sound outputed for(again pro logic II or dts neo-6) when you channel goes from national programming & commercials to local programming & commercials,its how your local network affiliates broadcast,not your box.

WKRC Channel 12 in Cincinnati currently does not broadcast in DD5.1. However, if you can receive it OTA, WHIO Channel 7 out of Dayton does. I record my CBS shows mostly OTA on Channel 7. I do have one problem with WHIO or possibly with CBS. The sound on Hawaii Five-0 is terrible in DD5.1. I can barely hear the dialogue from the front speakers. It is over powered by the background sounds on the front and surround speakers. I have to turn off DD to hear what they are saying. This is the only program I have this problem with on CBS. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I run my Onkyo with PLIIX Movie Setting and while it works good, true DD would be much better. It looks like the local CBS will be getting a call or email from me. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I run my Onkyo with PLIIX Movie Setting and while it works good, true DD would be much better. It looks like the local CBS will be getting a call or email from me. Thanks.

You just have to find out how your local affiliate broadcasts their audio. PLIIx Movie setting will most likely be the best you can do if your affiliate doesn't broadcast DD.

Having recently retired from a combo CBS/NBC facility, I can say CBS network DOES deliver in DOlby Digital, but the station has to purchase the dolby decoder/encoders to pass it on. As such, there are probably some stations which have not purchased the equipment. I am sure glad they did at my former employ because it sounds fantastic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)