CBS Chief Leslie Moonves Addresses Upcoming Negotiations With Dish Network

stifelpaytvgrowth.jpg

Paid TV growth is starting to collapse.

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/15/the-shifting-pay-tv-industry-in-two-charts/

If Dish would drop CBS and ESPN, I will do a happy dance.

If you hate the way things are why not drop the service? If I hated something as much as you hate this I would drop it. Then again if you drop it you can't come on here and bitch about it anymore. Ya gotta way your options my friend.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

And how many news options were there in 1982? I think you're comparing apples to oranges. Also, most folks are interested in their LOCAL news. Do you have any stats on how many people watch local news?
MY understanding is local news at 6 pm and 11pm weekdays are the highest rated programs of local stations.

If Aereo takes off, they can just buy local from them for a couple of bucks a month, and not pay the Networks a penny for OTA broadcasts/

Everyone says Dish can't survive without espn but last time I looked, there are no sports on Netflix and it is doing pretty dang good. Will they lose subs, most definitely, would it kill them doubtful. CBS could go too, as there are only a few Owned and Operated stations along with Showtime and CBS Sportsnet that would be affected by a dispute with CBS.

Would be great if everything went smoothly with these transactions, but there is too much greed involved for that to happen.

Please see http://www.people-press.org/1996/05/13/tv-news-viewership-declines/. People are using the internet to get their news immediately. My locals news stations send me e-mails with news updates and weather alerts. By the time their scheduled news occurs, it is old news. All the locals and national networks are losing major revenues due to loss in advertising revenue.
So the most recent article you can find is seven years old, and still shows 2/3 "regularly" watch local news (compare that to national news at ~42%). I'm not denying not as many people watch as used to, just that using network news as your statistics base doesn't really help IMO.

Everyone says Dish can't survive without espn but last time I looked, there are no sports on Netflix and it is doing pretty dang good. Will they lose subs, most definitely, would it kill them doubtful. CBS could go too, as there are only a few Owned and Operated stations along with Showtime and CBS Sportsnet that would be affected by a dispute with CBS.
The difference between Netflix & Dish is the subscriber cost. I'm sure if Dish dropped ESPN and then cut monthly rates to $10, many would stick around. However, would that be enough income to pay for all the expense?

Except that it is the truth. Dish gained customers this past quarter.
The "truth" being referred to is that "Dish is losing subs every quarter". People just throw out blanket statements hoping they will stick.

Interesting article from Businessweek about channel costs and the whole bundling debate: http://www.businessweek.com/article...able-bundling-and-higher-bills-wont-stop-soon
I'd like to see a sat/cableco offer the same bundles they buy. For example, instead of AT120, AT250, Everything Pack, or whatever Dish offers, sell the "Viacom" bundle and the "Disney/ESPN" bundle and the "Discovery Bundle". So if Viacom is forcing Dish to buy MTV2, Palladia, and Tr3s(?) in order to get Nick & Comedy Central, subscribers have to do the same thing. It's basically "ala carting" the bundles.

The "truth" being referred to is that "Dish is losing subs every quarter". People just throw out blanket statements hoping they will stick.

I think he should of said : " In the past , DISH has had a history of losing subs more quarters, than not ." and it would of been true. Besides they didn't add but 35,000 and I think that could of been due to the CBS spat with TIME Warner. Time lost like over 300.000 subs in the last quarter and they have since added CBS back. DISH could easily reverse this trend of adding subs next quarter or after the yearly price hikes kick in again come February. After all ,DISH has had a programming price hike and an equipment price hike on their Hopper fees in the same year. That could catch up with them by first or second quarter of next year. Not to be negative towards DISH ,but I don't think this one quarter of increasing additions is an ongoing trend.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a sat/cableco offer the same bundles they buy. For example, instead of AT120, AT250, Everything Pack, or whatever Dish offers, sell the "Viacom" bundle and the "Disney/ESPN" bundle and the "Discovery Bundle". So if Viacom is forcing Dish to buy MTV2, Palladia, and Tr3s(?) in order to get Nick & Comedy Central, subscribers have to do the same thing. It's basically "ala carting" the bundles.

A Sat/Cable Co wouldn't be in business very long, because consumers would really be bitching if they had to buy all the crap from every provider to get the one channel that they want. Today's forced bundles are not much more flexible, but at least with the tiers there is some savings, buy not having to pay for all the niche channels in the top packages.

The problem remains having to pay for channels that you don't want at all. Now if the media groups would break it down into Disney Sports, Disney Kids, Disney Family, CBS Sport, CBS Kids, CBS Drama, NBC Sports, NBC Kids, NBC Drama, Viacom Kids, Viacom Drama, Viacom Family, Fox Sports, Fox Kids, Fox Drama, etc and allow just purchasing a few of those small bundles, that would be making some progress.

These media groups are too big and keep creating more and more niche channels to dilute their programming libraries more and more. Forcing more and more junk upon the consumers and the consumers have no say in it. It is a take it all or leave it all notion, there is no common ground that benefits both consumers and providers equally or even somewhere close to equally.

Buying the programming by media group accomplishes nothing because every group has at least a dozen channels of crap that you would still be forced to buy. Sure I can skip all the junk Viacom sells that I have never tuned too in over 15 years with Dish, but I would still be forced to pay for a dozen channels of other stuff I've never tuned to from Disney, just to get espn for the 4 months a year I might watch a game on it

I think he should of said : " In the past , DISH has had a history of losing subs more quarters, than not ." and it would of been true. Besides they didn't add but 35,000 and I think that could of been due to the CBS spat with TIME Warner. Time lost like over 300.000 subs in the last quarter and they have since added CBS back. DISH could easily reverse this trend of adding subs next quarter or after the yearly price hikes kick in again come February. After all ,DISH has had a programming price hike and an equipment price hike on their Hopper fees in the same year. That could catch up with them by first or second quarter of next year. Not to be negative towards DISH ,but I don't think this one quarter of increasing additions is an ongoing trend.

I don't think Dish or any provider can keep hiking equipment fees to make up for the skyrocketing and inflexible programming bundles and costs. More flexible programming bundles from the media groups would go a long way in soothing consumer backlash, but they just see an all or nothing dollar sign and want to use the consumers as pawns in retransmission deals.

Whether I can afford it or not, my perceived value of it has reached it's limit. I've adjusted my equipment and programming to the point that me personally don't think it is worth anymore than I am paying now. I know others will disagree and say they will pay anything to watch the NFL or college football or The Walking Dead, but I'm not in that boat.

A Sat/Cable Co wouldn't be in business very long, because consumers would really be bitching if they had to buy all the crap from every provider to get the one channel that they want. Today's forced bundles are not much more flexible, but at least with the tiers there is some savings, buy not having to pay for all the niche channels in the top packages.

The problem remains having to pay for channels that you don't want at all. Now if the media groups would break it down into Disney Sports, Disney Kids, Disney Family, CBS Sport, CBS Kids, CBS Drama, NBC Sports, NBC Kids, NBC Drama, Viacom Kids, Viacom Drama, Viacom Family, Fox Sports, Fox Kids, Fox Drama, etc and allow just purchasing a few of those small bundles, that would be making some progress.

These media groups are too big and keep creating more and more niche channels to dilute their programming libraries more and more. Forcing more and more junk upon the consumers and the consumers have no say in it. It is a take it all or leave it all notion, there is no common ground that benefits both consumers and providers equally or even somewhere close to equally.

Buying the programming by media group accomplishes nothing because every group has at least a dozen channels of crap that you would still be forced to buy. Sure I can skip all the junk Viacom sells that I have never tuned too in over 15 years with Dish, but I would still be forced to pay for a dozen channels of other stuff I've never tuned to from Disney, just to get espn for the 4 months a year I might watch a game on it
I bet you most customers are already doing this though. I have AT250 because of 2-3 channels. I might watch another 2-3 of them, but if those went away I wouldn't mind. Out of the 250 channels we get, there's probably a dozen, maybe 18 channels that we watch with any regularity. So yes, I'm paying for a bunch of crap that I don't watch.

Sure, it would be nice break the bundles down into more individual packages, but what's the benefit for the media groups? Why should they agree to it? I would like to see Dish "break the mold" and create bundles based on something other than whatever they do now.

I did away with At250, then went back for the early CFl games, but those became so far in between, i said the heck with it a month or so ago. It's not worth another $10 a month to watch a few shows on DIY or the infrequent CFL game on NBCSN. All of DIY's stuff will be replayed on HGTV in 2 to 3 months and Dish has a free preview of the various AT 250 channels every month, so it's loses more of it's perceived value. My need for FS1 will diminish in 3 weeks when Big 12 conference football games are done, so I may even go down to AT120.

I think the biggest trial Dish could do would be to get all the espn's up into the AT 200 package where all the other sports channels are and then drop the price of AT120 another $10 and see what happens.

The media groups are greedy, and just like with the music industry they are going to keep pushing and squeezing their audience until their audience says enough is enough and drops them altogether, when if they had just adapted and become a little more consumer friendly, their business would flourish instead of being in a downward spiral.

I did away with At250, then went back for the early CFl games, but those became so far in between, i said the heck with it a month or so ago. It's not worth another $10 a month to watch a few shows on DIY or the infrequent CFL game on NBCSN. All of DIY's stuff will be replayed on HGTV in 2 to 3 months and Dish has a free preview of the various AT 250 channels every month, so it's loses more of it's perceived value. My need for FS1 will diminish in 3 weeks when Big 12 conference football games are done, so I may even go down to AT120.

I think the biggest trial Dish could do would be to get all the espn's up into the AT 200 package where all the other sports channels are and then drop the price of AT120 another $10 and see what happens.

The media groups are greedy, and just like with the music industry they are going to keep pushing and squeezing their audience until their audience says enough is enough and drops them altogether, when if they had just adapted and become a little more consumer friendly, their business would flourish instead of being in a downward spiral.

I agree 100% with that. Something has got to give sooner or later. By the way I am an Ok State fan come Saturday!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)