CBS College Sports to be renamed CBS Sports Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Effective April 4, CBS College Sports Network, which counts some 40 million subscribers, will become CBS Sports Network. While the channel will continue to focus on college sports, the rebranding will allow for the service to expand its content base down the road, according to CBS executives.
Source & More: multichannelnews.com

Another Source: bloomberg.com

Thoughts, for what these are worth.

- Smart, to the extent that both CBSCSN and ESPNU are hamstrung by three little things. June, July, and August. A college centered, but not being "hypocritical" (probably not the right word, but you get the idea) CBSSC makes more sense.

- Confusing to the average viewer. CBS Sports (meaning your local CBS station) and CBS Sports Network (meaning a "cable" channel you may or may not get).

- Now the "big picture". Leaving out the NFL and the NCAAs, which has rights that exclude this, what do you think of when you think of CBS? I think of golf and tennis. With Golf Channel now co-owned by NBC could we see a deal where the "bonus coverage" (1st and 2nd rounds and early afternoons) are on CBSSN? Include in that the odd marriage between CBS and ESPN on The Masters.

I predict this channel will barely resemble what it has been inside one year. College will become somewhat secondary, save for Basketball. They will not only air "bonus" coverage of some major sports, I think some sports now seen free in the network will move here, and they will attempt to get more for this channel because of it. Don't be surprised if some of what we have always had over the free networks will show up on this cable channel, including some key matchups of College teams.

Do any of you watch this network much? I've checked it out once or twice, but can usually find much more of what I want to see on other networks.

Last edited:
Don't watch it at all, I would if a team I followed was on it but for the most part, never have the channel on.

Btw, what difference is it what its called, as long asyou know where to find it if you need it.

You know I rarely watch it but CBS had to do this because ESPNU was kicking there ass. What I predict or what will I think will happen. I think they will try to show more college basketball, men and women. They did show some of the womens conference tourneys. I also think they will show old collge basketball and collge football games that aired on CBS. I mean what else can they do. The CBS Sports Network Show they have, the one that talks about the NCAA Tourney is very underwhelming. I mean Im going to watch the guys on CBS/TBS etc. and ESPN.

I watch it for college hockey but thats usually it
Same here...CBS needs to expand their coverage on this channels or it's history. If I were CBS, I would broadcast all their 1st and 2nd round PGA golf coverage on this newly renamed/rebranded channel---along with early morning weekend coverage---vice providing the feeds to The Golf Channel. Of course, I have no idea what agreements are alread in place between CBS, NBC and The Golf Channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)