CBS Seeks to Unwind Retrans Agreement With Dish Network

Yeah, we get more channels, but that is because they keep spinning off new channels with less valued content so we think we're getting more for our money when we really aren't.

I think we are close to that tipping point when enough people will say enough is enough and reduce their subscriptions levels and/or drop pay TV via satellite or cable. And I think the cable/sat providers are very well aware of that. And that is why you are seeing D* adding RSN fees in some markets instead of just raising everyone's rates to cover the huge subsidy we all give the sports channels, even those of us that don't watch them with regularity.

Just look at last year. D* had a major flailing with Viacom, while in the past most of those kinds of issues wouldn't have had channel pulls with D*. I think that is a strong signal that more of these are in the offing as the battle lines are drawn.

Yesterday, (first day without football) we were looking for something to watch, and wound up using Netflix all day, because we couldn't find anything good on the satellite. It really makes you start thinking that maybe I should drop down to the lowest package, and get my entertainment through Netflix.

IF I had just the Welcome pack with my hopper, I would still get just as much usage for locals in HD ,but the national channels I watch for some of my shows I would have to do without or just in plain SD . The upside would be I might be able to sub to HBO at full price and not just sub when it is either free or 1/2 price. I have Netflix and will probably be adding Huluplus for a couple of shows I really want to watch. So I would be covered for some of the shows I used to watch on the national channels in HD. I might try this downgrade come summer time to see if this would indeed work for me. The one thing I have discovered by having a dvr and now the Hopper dvr , is that I rarely watch the national channels I have in the top 200 pack , but only for certain tv shows. For example AMC , I watch for Mad Men and Walking Dead. Otherwise I never tune to this channel. I don't channel surf ,because I don't really have time to do this and if I do surf, it is usually on the local channels. So paying by the show , or paying $7.99 a month for Huluplus to get the shows might be just what I need to be able to make this work. But unfortunately this makes the hopper only good for my local networks in HD and the rest of the shows I would have to use the Roku player. Hmmmmmmmmm........

Right now we've got the Top 200 with Blockbuster. I could save a little bit by dropping down a package, but there's very little point to it. Plus, with NBC Sports getting the rights to Formula One, I've got to upgrade to the Top 250! Fortunately, I can drop back to a cheaper package after the season ends next November, but that's nine months of $10 more a month.

I got Dish back in 1996 because F1 moved from ESPN to ESPN 2 which our cable company didn't carry at the time. I upgraded from AT60 to AT120 when they moved to Speedvision a few years later. A few less lattés for me this year, I guess...

Ah yes, the alternate timeline. I want the old timeline back.
Exactly. In more talented hands, it could have been a fantastic origins story. And, now they've given that hack the Star Wars franchise to f up, as well.

They should let him concentrate on SW, since Lucas already ruined it, and give ST to Josh Wheadon, or just about anybody with a better understanding and greater love for the genre than Abrams.

Yesterday, (first day without football) we were looking for something to watch, and wound up using Netflix all day, because we couldn't find anything good on the satellite. It really makes you start thinking that maybe I should drop down to the lowest package, and get my entertainment through Netflix.
That reminds me of the time I told an acquaintance that I didn't usually watch football. He was flabbergasted, and asked, in total seriousness, "What do you do on Sundays?"

That reminds me of the time I told an acquaintance that I didn't usually watch football. He was flabbergasted, and asked, in total seriousness, "What do you do on Sundays?"
I rarely have time on Sunday's to sit and watch football. When I got married way back in the 80's, I watched football on Saturday and Sunday! And I did nothing but watch college bowl games on New Years Day. At first it was because of my kids and their activities. But since I got out of the habit, I do other things now. Oh well, I still catch the playoffs, Super Bowl and a few major college bowl games. And guess what, I really don't miss it!

HATE Football and consider just about every sport boring on tv. Weekends are for chores around my house and catching up on my shows dvrd from the week ,while I was at work. I only wish that DISH would allow us to have sports FREE basic packs in order to save money.

Weekends are for football,family,racing,grilling,movies,wrestling,and many other things.Not necessarily in that order.Thank heavens for a dvr!If it hadn't been for my dvr this nfl season I would have missed a lot of great games.

hmmm,sleep in,read books,cook up something good,go for a walk,play with the dogs?

put the top down and inconspicuously lay some rubber or take the boat out and make some waves, otherwise its watch some football during the fall or go to kids baseball games during the spring and summer, while the dvr keeps track of things. I can read a book in between innings :popcorn

hmmm,sleep in,read books,cook up something good,go for a walk,play with the dogs?
There ya go!

put the top down and inconspicuously lay some rubber or take the boat out and make some waves, otherwise its watch some football during the fall or go to kids baseball games during the spring and summer, while the dvr keeps track of things. I can read a book in between innings :popcorn
Heck. You could read a book in between pitches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts