CBS stations return to DISH

Dont the networks/stations know that saying just switch providers is getting old, I know losing a station you watch can suck but in today's programming enviroment happens more often. I know it must work, because reading Facebook comments for the providers say I am going to switch when you drop. To each there own, but gets a bit old watching the commericals saying "switch now" or else :)

A similar ad ran here in Charlotte except CBS was not mentioned. The station here is not O&O.
That's sad that apparently Dish CBS is inserting this into the national feed (or requiring ALL CBS affiliates to insert it).

Edit: Ooops, I said "Dish" when I meant "CBS"

Last edited:
I saw the ad about Showtime on our local CBS last night. Not an O&O, and we were watching it over the air.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The only way DISH gets info from the receivers is from telephone line or internet connection.

The LNB's used on the dish do NOT transmit anything. if you ever saw a Hughsenet or Wildblue dish you would see what a LNB that transmits looks like. Its huge and to transmit to the satellite requires MUCH more precise alignment as you must be exactly on the satellite, if you are off at all your signal could be sent to a different satellite and that would be a bad thing. :D

Reactions: Nominal
May be this is stupid but will recorded programs for CBS be watchable if they go dark? Similar to recording free HBO and letting the sign-up go by...

Yes, it will still be available. You already paid for that service, and it's been recorded for later use. As long as your dvr fee remains active you should have everything recorded prior to any changes.

Arbitration, just like negotiating a labour contract. Or mandated price controls in the public interest.
I could see Congress writing binding arbitration into the law for OTA retransmission since they are using the public airwaves. I would not support it for other cable channels. For instance, If HBO wants $20 a month for its channel either you pay it or you don't get it. If enough people won't pay it, the price comes down. It's not food, shelter or clothing. It's entertainment.

Even if there were arbitration for OTA channels, if CBS, or any network, didn't get enough money for their OTA retransmission, they have hinted that they could move their premium content to cable channels.

For instance, If HBO wants $20 a month for its channel either you pay it or you don't get it. If enough people won't pay it, the price comes down. It's not food, shelter or clothing. It's entertainment.
That works fine for ala carte channels like HBO, but when channels are forced-bundled in a carriage contract, then they should be game for a forced-binding arbitration to keep the channels from going dark. If the channel owner doesn't want a channel carriage to be subject to binding arbitration, then they can make it an ala carte channel for the consumer that would be subject to true market forces.

That works fine for ala carte channels like HBO, but when channels are forced-bundled in a carriage contract, then they should be game for a forced-binding arbitration to keep the channels from going dark. If the channel owner doesn't want a channel carriage to be subject to binding arbitration, then they can make it an ala carte channel for the consumer that would be subject to true market forces.
It's just entertainment. Regardless of bundling practices, why should missing a football game or a movie rise to the level of federal law.

Locals are somewhat the exception due to the public airwave / public interest components, but everything else is just fluff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
Even the locals are not the "necessity" they once were. Once you remove "good morning America" and all that other fluff, plus the PT shows, what are you left with? PBS and similar channels fit more into the public interest field. There should be no difference in locals as far as must carry. If you want to be a local, and have the benefits that locals carry, you should be must carry. If you want to be a national channel, and have the benefits of a national channel(picking your retrans price), then you should be included in the national lineup, losing your over the air status. These 4 major networks are getting the best of both worlds, and we are letting them, while we all sit back and bitch about how dish is a greedy company that only has interest for themselves. They may be responsible for stock holders, but they are the only one of the big companies actually fighting to do a little something for the customers.

Even the locals are not the "necessity" they once were. Once you remove "good morning America" and all that other fluff, plus the PT shows, what are you left with? PBS and similar channels fit more into the public interest field. There should be no difference in locals as far as must carry. If you want to be a local, and have the benefits that locals carry, you should be must carry. If you want to be a national channel, and have the benefits of a national channel(picking your retrans price), then you should be included in the national lineup, losing your over the air status. These 4 major networks are getting the best of both worlds, and we are letting them, while we all sit back and bitch about how dish is a greedy company that only has interest for themselves. They may be responsible for stock holders, but they are the only one of the big companies actually fighting to do a little something for the customers.
I think if you're going to say all OTA channels must be "must carry", then MVPD's shouldn't be allowed to charge for them. Don't tell me Dish isn't making a PROFIT off the locals. I won't believe it.

I don't think they should profit off them, if must carry. However, remember, dish does not charge seperately for locals anymore either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)