CBS stations return to DISH

The one month Cyber Monday free trial of CBS streaming is working perfectly on my new Samsung UHDTV using screen monitoring from a Galaxy S5 phone. Take that Moonves! Don't need Roku streaming, after all.
But if you're watching streaming, aren't you required to sit through the ads? Yea, I'm sure Moonves is crying in his cereal over people using their streaming.

Yeah and how many of them still have their old man paying the bill?!?!?!:D
Oh, I'm sure it's a gigantic number. But the point is in viewing trends. We are creatures of habit. It is more likely that when these people move out of their parent's basements that they continue to watch TV in the same way as they did. My whole point hasn't been that internet TV is dominant now. It's not. My point is that in the next decade, if not sooner, it will be! TV content delivery companies that want to stay competitive have seen this trend and are aggressively seeking to capitalize on this trend. Internet streaming/VOD rights and fees is what is causing a lot of the disputes we see now. CBS is just the latest.

When CBS went head to head against Time Warner Cable, there was an outage of about one month and a complete surrender by TWC. Les Moonves and Charlie Ergen are both extremely tough negotiators. I will be happy with $5-10 discount for three months.

CBS and Time Warner Cable ended their protracted contract dispute Monday evening with CBS winning not only a significant financial increase for its programming, but also its stake in the digital future.

The agreement between the two sides restored the CBS network and its related channels, including Showtime, to millions of cable subscribers largely in three major cities: New York, Los Angeles and Dallas. The outcome underscored the leverage that the owners of important television content, especially sports like N.F.L. football, retain over distributors like cable systems. The looming National Football League season, which starts this week, includes key games every week on CBS.

It's probably no coincidence that this is happening when our local CBS affiliate in Chicago is airing the Bears game on Thursday night (pre-empting the national shows until after midnight some time)... Fortunately, I have OTA so this won't affect me, however, CBS is definitely the weakest of the major networks so people that are outside of Chicago are screwed unless they get a good antenna or figure out how to stream on to their TV...

Here you go...

http://www.ce.org/News/News-Releases/Press-Releases/2014/OTA-Study_060514.aspx

Since "everyone you know" streams TV, I must say, you are they are in a very elite group ! :clapping

That must be a very busy elite group, as I stated that last Month Netflix streaming accounted for 35% of Internet traffic in North America, and then there are Amazon, Crackle, Youtube, Vudo, Warner Archives and many others getting into streaming. If ONLY 5% of the nation's viewers are using this technology there would not be the race to position themselves to do it. I am sure you will never want to to sit down and watch your smart device and that is fine. But, to ignore the facts are like not admitting 3D died again.

Reactions: TNGTony
How common was cable TV throughout the US ? I don't remember it where I grew up until the mid to late 70s.
Not very common at all in 1970, but it was a growing trend. (About 2500 cable systems with about 4.5 million subscribers total). HBO was founded in 1972. There was cable in many areas, but it was almost strictly a "community Antenna" (thus the Cable TV name of CATV to this day). It was local channels and a few neighboring market channels if you were lucky. Availability was generally in rural areas, valley communities, and some metro areas like Manhattan. Arguably, HBO started the cable boom. By 1980 the cable boom was well under way and nearly at its peak growth.

I would have never guessed that HBO started that long ago.

Sounds like if OTA reception was "easy", no one built cable systems in the area (?).

I went to work for a small catv system in 1990. We had 30 something channels. Hbo was just 1 channel also.
We were in the process during that time going 2 way. Mainly for ppv which was a big deal back then. Then over the next few years started installing fiber to cut down on the number of amps that were cascaded. Before fiber 1 amp failure could shut down 40,000 people.

Back then I used to feel we were cutting edge......lol. My oh how things have changed.

Reactions: TNGTony
I edited the post to correct numbers of subscribers. I found an old book which included subscription numbers going back to 1960 (650k cable subs in 1960)
Not coincidentally, the FCC relaxed a lot of rules on cable in 1972 that helped it explode.

How common was cable TV throughout the US ? I don't remember it where I grew up until the mid to late 70s.

A larger metro area that I grew up near had cable in the mid 60's, of course it was limited to the number of channels on the television tuner because there was no cable box then. My small home town 15 miles away did not get cable until the early 80's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)