CBS stations return to DISH

Yeah, don't count on Congress...just read about a Senator equating Net Neutrality to "Obamacare for the Internet" :facepalm
The Senate already considered a proposal to drop all retrans fees. A new Senate might put the proposal back in.
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/lo...-be-pulled-senate-bill-report-says/2014-09-10
Fearing that their Local Choice proposal is too ambitious for full Congressional approval on a short timeline, the proposal's creators, Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) and John Thune (R-S.D.), have pulled it out of the Senate Commerce Committee's satellite-TV bill.

The provision, which was in the draft of the Satellite Television Access and Viewer Rights Act (STAVRA), would have probably been too big and controversial to pass through quickly. That timing would have been an issue, given that STAVRA needs approval by the end of the year.

Had it passed, Local Choice would have done away with broadcast-retransmission payments from pay-TV operators, essentially stripping broadcast stations from the pay-TV bundle. Subscribers would choose only the local stations they want and pay broadcasters directly.

Don't know if it will work this far away from NYC (am 42 miles as the crow flies, but terrain issues on the antenna.org website tell me that I will only get moderate and weak signals), but this was on sale at Amazon earlier this week for $49 so I bought it just in case CBS goes dark.... Suck it Moonves.

Amazon product ASIN B00APPDX86

Don't know if it will work this far away from NYC (am 42 miles as the crow flies, but terrain issues on the antenna.org website tell me that I will only get moderate and weak signals), but this was on sale at Amazon earlier this week for $49 so I bought it just in case CBS goes dark.... Suck it Moonves.

Where I live I am about 10 miles from a CBS transmitter. The problem is that I have 2 hills between me and the broadcast antenna. Awhile back I put up a Lava 2605 small amplified antenna in the attic but couldn't get any VHF channels (did get a UHF one).. Our local CBS is in the Upper VHF band on channel 12.1.. I decided to target that since it is the only channel that I wanted. I bought a VHF HiBand Antenna for $23 and put it up in the attic last week. Pointed it using TVfool.com (which gives you much more info than antenna.org). Low and behold I got the CBS channel with a signal strength of 70! I might suggest that you also target your CBS channel depending on whether it is VHF or UHF.. Then get an antenna specific to that... So now I say screw Moonves as at least I have another way to get the channel that we watch the most....
Gerry

Mohu makes some pretty awesome antennas. My brother put up their amplified model and he gets around 60 channels or so. He lives on the NW side of Houston so it's pretty flat there.

I just saw a commercial on kdka about this. I really hope a deal is made. Since we moved I do not yet have an antenna up and I also now notice that I cannot locate the adapter for my ota module

You're not really getting over on Moonves and CBS, as OTA is their original transmission method. And, you're still watching their programming, aren't you?

Reactions: chum1976
CBS 11 Dallas (O&O) has started advertising to call DISH to continue receiving CBS. I do receive 11 OTA but I'm not in their DMA so it won't affect me.

I just saw a commercial on kdka about this. I really hope a deal is made. Since we moved I do not yet have an antenna up and I also now notice that I cannot locate the adapter for my ota module
Better hurry up on both issues.;)

CBS comes in via OTA for me (detroit) but I can see how it would stink for those that get it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts