CCTV 4 in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zion168

Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
California
I was at a Las Vegas hotel (Aria) in February and was surprised to see CCTV4 in high definition! Hotel manager said they used their own dish. I called Dish, they responded their CCTV 4/9/E channels from EcoStar are still in SD.

I know CCTV started HD broadcasting in China in 2008, but never got news of the expanded coverage to North America. Maybe a test run before official commencement? Please shed some light on this. Thanks!

Was the channel id'd as hd on the screen? I was in Vegas last August and the hotel had hdtv's but not one single hd channel (not even the locals), it was all sd stretch. And the pq of the CCTV has always been among the best if not the best of the sd channels since I got into fta 8 years ago. So I could see where it might confuse a viewer.
Here is the satellite info from the CCTV site
CCTV Global Television Service Satellite Specification CCTV-International

Their site does say hd is available online.

kinda like KTEL on 79W?
It shows the Telemundo slogan then "HD" next to it

my favorite is our local Univison station. It was an old Equity station (WUMN) and it shows the HD logo in the corner. Thats fine and dandy but the channel is a LOW POWERED ANALOG channel ;)

No it was definitely pinch-me-if-real HD. I could tell because I used to squint (for years) at the rolling text at the bottom, the picture I was looking at had crystal clear text; everything was life-like. I have no doubt that any Vegas hotel built prior to 2007 had just SD channels, but Aria was opened in October 2009, and most of its channels are in HD. The difference I saw was just too large to be attributed to good source signal or the upscaling capability of the LG LCD TV that was in the room.

So you guys are still getting SD from Galaxy 3C? I have CCTV at home from Dish and on my HDTV it still looks every bit as crappy as it did 3 years ago.

Oh and I DID NOT see any HD indicators on the screen.

Last edited:
> CCTV has always been among the best if not the best of the sd channels since I got into fta 8 years ago. So I could see where it might confuse a viewer.

Not on Dish network, CCTV 9 always looked like crap. Up on a C Band its looks respectable.

CCTV-HD (Chinese: ?????????????) is the channel of the China Central Television broadcast in HD.

On 1 January 2008, has been tested in Beijing. On 30 June 2008 was the official launch day. CCTV-HD was created specifically for the 2008 Olympics and Paralympics 2008.

This channel is only available at selected cable/satellite providers.

---------

Vinasat 1 at 132.0°E

10968 H 28800

MPEG-4/HD

Last edited:
> CCTV has always been among the best if not the best of the sd channels since I got into fta 8 years ago. So I could see where it might confuse a viewer.

Not on Dish network, CCTV 9 always looked like crap. Up on a C Band its looks respectable.

I was talking fta (in my case that means ku). My first digital receiver was a Pansat 330, which replaced the Pansat 300, a receiver that was used by a lot of broadcast stations. It still has a great picture but it also is pre-blindscan and I am lazy these days. Plus on cband, CCTV is not dvb so that may explain the so-so pic.

168 you might their hd online. I did not look that close at the website but it appears to be free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)