Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
I want to know if the video quality for the CCTV channels is better on C Band at 58 West or better at 95 West on KU.

I have a dish fixed at 58 West for C Band. Since it suffered wind damage earlier this summer to one of the sections I have been unable to lock CCTV or Arirang on 58 West. So I am thinking of using my 6 footer on KU to at least get CCTV.

Other wise 58 West is my primary area of internet for DW TV, and NHK.

They both look good on my Dish but just a little stronger signal on 58.0W, since C Band is a little stronger reception on my 12 Footer. I also like the programming on NHK on that Satellite.

Re comparison of quality of the C vs Ku channels, I would normally look at the video bitrates of the two signals. I have my C-band dish sitting on a sat where I hope to watch an NFL game tomorrow, and I'm afraid to move it down to 58 since it's been getting stuck recently, but looking at the total bitrate available on the two transponders. The C band mux has a total bitrate available of about 44.7 Mbps, and has about 13 channels, so on the average, they have about 3.4 Mbps / channel possible, while on the Ku transponder, they have a total of 28.7 divided by 4 channels for an average of about 7.2 Mbps per channel.
HOWEVER, in looking at the Ku mux, they aren't even using half of their capability. Looks like the 4 channels on the Ku mux are running at ~ 1.5-3.0 Mbps, and they have most (~17.8 Mbps) of the available bandwidth wasted in the null stream.
This makes me think that they're probably using the same low bitrate video on both C and Ku. They're probably not using their capacity on either mux.
I may try a side by side comparison of bitrates tomorrow after the NFL game.

Both sources look the same to me. Depends on your dish setup and convenience. NHK HD on 58w is real nice so my C-band dish visits that section of the Clarke Belt quite often these days.
-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts