CE Insanity June 14, 15 and 16

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
There are 4 CE Download releases scheduled today, tomorrow and Saturday starting at 11 PM EDT. I have 3 of the 4 receivers and I am going to be very busy typing 0 2 4 6 8 the next 2 nights. If you haven't tried a CE release I encourage at least one to experience the fun of trying something new. If you are afraid, definately don't do all your receivers. Most can be reverted back to the national release.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...00-ce07165-0x168-june-14-15-a.html#post926843

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/98993-hr20-700-ce07166-0x16-june-15-16-a.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/98927-r15-all-ce07166-download-june-15-16-a.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/98872-h20-ce07167-0x20-june-15-16-a.html

Post any thoughts and issues in the specific threads. Please use this one to talk about the CE process, any questions, general issues, etc. Here's to a fun filled weekend. :hatsoff:

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Is anyone planning on doing this for the first time and have any questions or concerns? Its actually not very hard and has for the most part been pretty stable lately for releases. I think the hardest part is the time of day especially for us East Coasters.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Before participating on a CE download you should review the 'rules' on the process at DBSTalk.Com so you know what you're in for.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yeah go read their rules. Of course you need to be registered to read them. :rolleyes:

Actually you should read them,

I just don't like the word "Rules" how about we change it to "CE Guidelines" or something like that. Something that makes it sound like we are not going to get detention if we dont follow them. :)

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Here are some of the highlights

If you download it... there are no guarantees of anything.

You should NOT download a CE version, just to "try it out"
You should NOT download a CE version, just because it has a "feature"
You should NOT download a CE version, just to "see" it

You shoud ONLY download a CE version, if you know what you are doing and are 100% willing to take the risk

The point of doing a CE version is to test it and provide feedback to other uses and DirecTV to improve the product. So far our feedback has helped make Directv receivers better. The proof is in the features and reliability of the HR20 since initial release. In fact, I think the CE program saved that DVR.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yes if you see something strange froma CE (ie a bug) REPORT IT HERE as the folks from DirecTV are watching closely.

Also report it if someone else has reported it, the more people that report an issue the better they know how widespread an issue is.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Yes if you see something strange froma CE (ie a bug) REPORT IT HERE as the folks from DirecTV are watching closely.

Also report it if someone else has reported it, the more people that report an issue the better they know how widespread an issue is.

Yep, just remember to NOT call DirecTV about a problem with a CE, unless it's toasted your STB and you can't get it back on the current national release.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
Still no sign of Vod? I'm starting to think it's not coming out this summer, nevermind july.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Still no sign of Vod? I'm starting to think it's not coming out this summer, nevermind july.

Not for public testing yet, but it is being tested. I am under the feeling that they have other non advertised download windows which MAY have more advanced betas including VOD support.

I have seen the VOD with my own eyes and I know it exists and works.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
VOD is definately just a matter of time. You can tell based on what is being released and how quickly. Directv is really trying to nail down trick play and the new White GUI before moving on to the next to do item. The HR20-700 tests a new Media Bridge. Probably after a few tweaks we should see a national release and possibly VOD after that. So I say there is still a good chance VOD could be a CE test sometime this month. If anything, I can't imagine we wont be testing it by end of July. I know folks want it now but I think Directv is doing a good job of really solidifying this DVR before it adds more features.

mike1973

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
Is anyone planning on doing this for the first time and have any questions or concerns? Its actually not very hard and has for the most part been pretty stable lately for releases. I think the hardest part is the time of day especially for us East Coasters.

We're going to try it on the roommate's HR20-100 tonight, 1st CE so I'm kind of psyched. 'Course there won't be much messing with it tonight since it'll be late once its done.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not for public testing yet, but it is being tested. I am under the feeling that they have other non advertised download windows which MAY have more advanced betas including VOD support.

I have seen the VOD with my own eyes and I know it exists and works.

I have also seen quite a few screen shots from the beta tests. It looks interesting, although not something I personally have much inteerest in.

stone phillips420

On Vacation
Oct 20, 2004
earth
hmm both hr20 now share same software!
my hr20-700's downloaded version 168 during last weeks ce, now my hr20-100 has 168 via last nights ce

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
What does this have to do with the current CE's being discussed ?
Also, I personally could care less about VOD, it's hardly a make or break item.

Jimbo

About a third of the posts in the dbstak ce forum are about VOD:eek:

VOD itself may not be that important, but how the hr20 is able to implement a more robust working broadband/network connection is vital for the future of the hardware.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
What funny is they want it so bad, yet when it comes must of them won't use it and say its a waste.

Funny how it all works. :)

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
So who are the ones glutten for punishment by downloading all 4 tonight or 3? I dont have the R15 so I will be doing the HR20-700 and H20-600. I did the HR20-100 last night.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
I'll be doing a H20-600, R15-300 and two HR20-700's. Good thing I have an OTA to use while all these boxes are downloading.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)