Center Ice package

IceRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
I'm about to switch from Dish Network to DirecTV. With Dish Network, I got home and away feeds for all the games and sometimes three feeds, including the TSN or CBC feeds.

Somebody told me that you get only one feed per game on DirecTV. Can anybody tell me if this is true?

I think it's the same package between the two providers, like most other subscription that the two have.
I know you will get the occasional CBC feed, depending on who's playing.

"dish just ... offers more feeds"

Could you explain that in some detail please? I have a buddy that is big into the NHL and I am sure he would like to know exactly what that means/entails.

for many games dish provides both the home and away telecast.

DirecTV and Indemand only offer either home or away but never 2 of the same game

So even thought its of the exact same game, its 2 feeds? 1 from 1234-TV and the other from WXYZ-TV Oh, I thought they were showing more games. Thank you.

Last edited:
Because of information in this thread and several other reasons, I've decided to stick with Dish Network.

To answer another poster's question: On Dish, you get all available feeds for the game on Center Ice, so there usually are feeds for each game. In some cases, there are three feeds, one for the home team, one for the road team and one for TSN or CBC. It's nice to have a choice.

I don't know about DirecTV, but on Dish, you also get to watch Hockey Night in Canada pregame and postgame coverage on Saturday nights.

Just to passify my worried mind, how many games a week did Dish show in HD last week for Center Ice subscribers? I know the MLB gets a game every couple of days, can I expect that kind of frequency from Center Ice. I've heard rumors about FSNs being uploaded, but there is no guarantee that will be available for everyone. So, during last year, how many extra games did subscribers to Center Ice get to see in a given week in HD?

Thanks for the reply. So without subscribing HD Hockey is on HDNet Tue and Sun games at least through the end of the year. NBC is still showing games on Saturday. Can I expect Versus to have a game of the week in HD? Maybe WorldSport will show the Canadian games :) or at least some Euro Leagues. HD was made for Hockey!

Last edited:
oggusfoo said:
Thanks for the reply. So without subscribing HD Hockey is on HDNet Tue and Sun games at least through the end of the year. NBC is still showing games on Saturday. Can I expect Versus to have a game of the week in HD? Maybe WorldSport will show the Canadian games :) or at least some Euro Leagues. HD was made for Hockey!
If NBC has the same type of schedule as last year, they will only show like 8 games all year till the playoffs, they will be after Febuary 1st, pretty sad for a major network.

Jimbo

Cable has the Center Ice package as well and they only offer one feed of each game. Dish offers the home/road feeds of all games? So if the Red Wings are playing the Rangers they have the FSN Detroit and MSG feeds on separate channels???

well they numbers might be different this year, but last year 95 was for center ice games, which yes you'll get more hd games w/ it.

the oln hd games were on 98 and they didn't provide them all

plus now if you live in a regional sports area that d* has in hd you get those also

BFG said:
well they numbers might be different this year, but last year 95 was for center ice games, which yes you'll get more hd games w/ it.

the oln hd games were on 98 and they didn't provide them all

plus now if you live in a regional sports area that d* has in hd you get those also
I have heard receintly that D* is working on dedicating a HD channel for each RSN, that way there would be more options for HD games, of course that may not happen until D* has more room......

Jimbo

D* already has dedicted hd channels for the rsns they recently added in mpeg4.

they are channels 96 or 97 and are unique in each spot beam that d* has an Rsn for

BFG said:
D* already has dedicted hd channels for the rsns they recently added in mpeg4.

they are channels 96 or 97 and are unique in each spot beam that d* has an Rsn for
96 and 97 are MPEG 4 ?
I knew 96 was, but I thought 97 and 98 were mpeg2, not sure ...
The Tigers games were on 96 and I could not get them, 96 did not even show up in my guide, but 97 and 98 did, there has been NO programming on either of them that I am aware of.
Maybe the Wings will be on 97 or 98 so I can watch them this year, but I doubt it.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts