Central Florida VOOMers?

Blurry ABC HD During Games

If you've watched the NHL or NBA Finals and noticed the picture is blurry inbetween shots, it because the local affliate doesn't have the correct setting on thier flexicoder.

Read about it over at AVS forms:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=410278&highlight=wftv

I've emailed WFTV here in Orlando about this.
I received a reply from John Demshock Director of Engineering for
WFTV and WRDQ that the changes have been made and we should be good to go for tonights Final NBA game.

WKMG 6 Asleep at the switch

Had to call WKMG 6 last night to get them to turn on the HDTV broadcast.
Only took them a minute, but someone was asleep at the switch.
So if you were watching CSI Miami and the first few minutes of CSI Vegas and wondered why it wasn't in HD, There you go.

New instillation in S.E. Orlando

I called Prime Time Cable of Orlando(407 240-4040) on a Wednesday for a Voom instillation. I asked when the soonest they could put it in and they said they only need 24 hours for processing by Voom and that they had plenty of kits in stock. I made the appointment for that Friday. The tech’s name was Alfie. He said it was his first Voom instillation and that he had been doing mostly Dish Network installs. I could tell he had a lot of experience by the speed and quality of workmanship. He had everything set up within an hours. The standard instillation kit included 2 stb’s, an 18 inch dish and an amplified Wingard antenna. He had trouble finding the signal and had to call the office for help. William Strickler, the owner of the company, personally came out and figured out the problem. The signal was being clipped slightly by Pine trees so he moved the dish to a better location. Once they peaked the signal the PQ was excellent but the Voom monitor only registered a 50 power level, however, it was raining lightly. When the rain stopped the signal went up to 85. He had to call in a couple of Voom hits before all channels came in. The following local channels came in consistently clear: 2.1 WESH NBC, 6.1 & 6.2 WKMG CBS, 9.1 & 9.2 WFTV ABC, 35.1 WOFL FOX. After 2 days of use the owner of Prime Time Cable called to see how the system was doing. I told him that channel 18.1 WKCF WB came in off and on. He came out and replace the Wingard with an unamplified Wingard with a separate higher gain amp. Channel 18.1 came in consistently and clear after that. Over all I’m extremely satisfied with the installation, service and PQ of the Voom system. My only complaint is that I lose signal during heavy rains. I may have to upgrade to a 30 inch dish.

possible new voomer in s. st. pete

Thinking about switching to Voom to compliment my new HDTv but was wondering about a few things. Anyone in st. pete, how is OTA HD reception for the tampa stations (i live in s. st pete). Currently using brighthouse, so never had to deal/worry about that before. Also how much of an issue is rain fade in our area? Some of the storms that we get during hurricane season are pretty brutal, how often/long does one normally loose signal?

Making the plunge, scheduled for 7/14 install. Currently using D* with the Samsung TS160. Overall quality has been good, but HD programming is just to expensive so going to try the V* and see if it's for me. I have outside antenna which give me OTA very good with the Samsung. Don't want the dish put on my roof, so hope they can mount it above my D* dish if there is any way. Any input from you local folks about V* would be appreciated, whether good or bad!

Scheduled for install of VOOM on 7/14, currently have D* and Samsung TS160 STB. Quality of HD excellent most of the time, but D* HD is to expensive. So you local folks keep me updated with your experience with V*

Rassilon said:
Thinking about switching to Voom to compliment my new HDTv but was wondering about a few things. Anyone in st. pete, how is OTA HD reception for the tampa stations (i live in s. st pete). Currently using brighthouse, so never had to deal/worry about that before. Also how much of an issue is rain fade in our area? Some of the storms that we get during hurricane season are pretty brutal, how often/long does one normally loose signal?

I live in N.E. Orlando and have been losing signal up to 5 hours sometimes. This is even after the T-Storms have moved thru and just light rain lingering. I've been averaging 2 hours of outages the last few weeks. I'm hoping they start the dish upgrades soon.

Anyone else having rain fade over 1 hour?

Does anyone else have rain fade for over 1 hour at a time?
I live in N.E Orlando and when it rains i lose picture for up to 5 hours sometimes. Signal gets to 75 and breaks up, then 70 and no picture.
I've had it where there were cloud layers but no rain and some blue sky in the LOS and still had break ups. The rain was 180 from LOS and far off .

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem too.
I spoke with a tech and he said he hasn't heard of it happening for that long.
I was tried to get a larger dish with the original install but they said it wasn't available for this area.

So with the rain fade happening up to 5 hours at a time on several occasions i called to get a service credit. Spoke with a CSR that said she would credit me a weeks service for the outages. After a couple of weeks i called back to see if they credited me and a CSR said nope. So she looked up my account and said did you get a 30" dish with your install and i said nope!
She then said hold on and she called Installs to see about an dish upgrade.
After a few minutes i was surprised that she came back and said i was scheduled to get the upgraded 24" dish and a service ticket was opened for it to be installed in the next week. Plus i will get my weeks credit as was previously promised. :) :clap :bow :music

Happy to get the upgraded dish and i didn't even complain about not getting it in the first place. maybe they're getting wise not to give away service credits and just fix the problem the right way.

Got a call the next day from my original installer and he said the dish should be in and setup a appointment for July 31th to swap out the dish.

Hopefully the will fix the long outages. I can put up with the T-Storm outages for short periods as the move by but 5 hours is ridiculous.

Please let me know what your situation is also.

Bruce.....

OK, So i got the 24" round dish installed a week after they promised.
Installer came out while i was at work and swapped it out with Mom at home.
A couple of hours after i got home, a wicked T-Storm passed through.
Signal went from 95 down to 0.
The storm passed through and 20 minutes later we got a signal back.
Now this is how i expected the system to work in the first place, like my D* setup.
Rain continued through the night but we still had picture and signal in the low 90's.
Haven't any problems with it so far, except the usual quick picture breakup/pixelation once in a while for a second.

Hurricane Problems

Just got the power back on this morning here (Orlando). I am not getting any signal on either the sat channels or locals. The dish and antenna are still on the roof and looks alright, but I guess the wind moved them enough where I'm not getting any signal. I checked the system status and it shows 0 on both locals and Sat reception. I have called Voom for a service call and they coming out on Tuesday.

B4 Charley i took down both the dish a OTA antenna, marking the position first with a sharpe marker on the pole.
After the storm when i got power back, i just dropped it back in place and turned on the sat tuning menu on the STB, had it back in about 5 minutes.
Then when Frances and Jeanne came by i left them up and only had to re-align the OTA antenna after Jeanne.

Anyone else lost WMFE -24 and WOFL - 35 OTA reception?
I have a 98 signal but no picture and message says no signal. Could this be part of the new PSIP problem?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)