Central Florida VOOMers?

lsh1885 said:
I have a installation appointment scheduled from 8-12P on Thursday (Orlando, Florida). I have been told By Voom the company that will be doing the installation is "All Services International". I could not find them in the phone book nor does Directory Assistance have them listed anywhere in the State of Florida. Does anyone have any information on this company?

Thanks, Larry.

larry - all the work in fl comes out of Hi-Tech Satellite(aka Southern Satellite)
12338 E commercial Blvd, Oakland Park, Fl 33334
954-491-3474, 800-493-6844
call them and they should be able to link you to their contractor at the mouse house. My bad, edit in the other 4.
dave

Hi-Tech Satellite says No?

I called Hi-Tech Satellite, they say they are not the sole company in charge of installatrions in Florida, just one of them and they checked and said they do not have my installation appointment and that Voom must have given it to someone else. I guess I'll call Voom back and see if they have the phone number for All-Services International (The company Voom spoke of earlier) and then go from there.

I subsequently have called Voom and they gave me the phone number of All-Services International and it is 954-788-0474 in case anyone else needs it. I called them and they said (After they confirmed the equipment had arrived from Voom) that the installer would be out tomorrow as scheduled. They even gave me the cell phone number of the installer who would be doing the work. Thanks for your help!

Larry.

lsh1885 said:
I called Hi-Tech Satellite, they say they are not the sole company in charge of installatrions in Florida, just one of them and they checked and said they do not have my installation appointment and that Voom must have given it to someone else.

Larry.

That's a good indication of how installs are improving because until you found out what was going on Hi-Tech was doing all even though they were subbing it out. sorry bout the misinformation, but glad you got it straightened out.

Are you doing anything to move things along quickly once they arrive eg: using a current dish mount, current ota antenna, or current cable run? Just curious, post it up how every- thing goes and if your satisfied. There should be a live soccer match at 300pm if your around after they leave -enjoy
dave

Yes, I will remove the Directv receiver it will be replacing. I will still be keeping Directv on my other 2 sets until Voom gets more channels. I don't have a current OTA antenna since I have subscribed to locals from Directv since I moved here. I would like them to install the Voom dish next to the Directv dish if possible and I am sure they can use the same cable that is currently connected to the Directv dish.

Well, the installer has come and gone and Voom is working great. I am also getting all my locals with that antenna that some have complained about, but so far it is working good for me. The installer did a great job and I couldn't be happier.

Very glad to hear good news, the locals become less important (at least for the next 997 days until all locals must cease analog) as you surf around the fulltime HD content. Don't get me wrong, they'r great to have but i could almost do without(the little woman says she can't). ah well, everyones viewing pleasures are different. ENJOY
david

sandpit,i get all my locals now off of the ant voom put up.i raised it up 3in and got my missing station,cbs ch10.i have 3 other stations to the south of me,that are listed on voom ant site that are not mapped.tried to call voom about them,csr took the numbers and said she would send it out to motorola for mapping.24hrs later,no listings and no guide.i have them back now,but i wonder if i should call again or wait for the scaning software.i have a huges 86 box that scans every station in sw fl i think.all i have to do is get a big enough ant and point an get.by the way,i get 14 channels,with all but one being 35 to 42 miles away. ede

Ish1885, Where in Orlando are you located?
I'm in the casselberry/tuskawilla area.
I want to get voom but also want to make sure all the locals will come in on the OTA antenna they provide. I'm not sure if all the locals are broadcasting from the same tower here now or not.
Used to be a couple of different towers you had to point to for analog not sure about the digitals. Dont want to have to put up a rotator.
I want to get connected so i can get the free upgrade to pvr when it comes out. If they're still doing that.

Thanks.

lsh1885 said:
Well, the installer has come and gone and Voom is working great. I am also getting all my locals with that antenna that some have complained about, but so far it is working good for me. The installer did a great job and I couldn't be happier.

My Mailing address is Orlando, but I live in East Orange County about 1 mile from the Seminole County line, I am about 2 miles from Chuluota. As far as the OTA antenna is concerned I pick up 2,6,9,24,27,35,65 and 68 perfectly. Channel 18 I pick up sometimes as that channel seems to come and go. I cannot pick up 56 at all. I am aware I could upgrade to a better antenna with Voom, but my interest in the channels I don't get isn't large enough to warrant having another installer come out. In short, I am happy with the overall performance of their antenna.

lsh1885 said:
My Mailing address is Orlando, but I live in East Orange County about 1 mile from the Seminole County line, I am about 2 miles from Chuluota. As far as the OTA antenna is concerned I pick up 2,6,9,24,27,35,65 and 68 perfectly. Channel 18 I pick up sometimes as that channel seems to come and go. I cannot pick up 56 at all. I am aware I could upgrade to a better antenna with Voom, but my interest in the channels I don't get isn't large enough to warrant having another installer come out. In short, I am happy with the overall performance of their antenna.

lsh1885, Who was your installer?
Did they do a good job? Were they professional?
Did they run a seperate coax for your OTA anntenna or use a diplexer? What was the waiting time from order to install?
I'm almost sold on VOOM but the recent posts about the stuttering and PQ on channels being less than what they were originally has me second guessing right now. I want VOOM for the HD content and if it's no better than D* then maybe i'll wait for MPEG-4 to come out.
I really want the DVR solution but i'm not sure if they'll be upgrading for free when that comes out. Everyone has been speculating on the free upgrade but that may only be for the STB and you may have to pay to install the thin clients in your other rooms. Just not sure which way to go right now.

The Installation was done by All-Services International, they did a great job. They used a diplexer, I am receiving the locals well enough that at least in my case that I do not feel the diplexer issue was significant enough to warrant any change. I feel the installer would have run a separate coax if I requested it. It was 8 days from the time I ordered until installation. I can't comment on what the PQ was before since I have only had mine since April 9th. But I can say I have no problems with the PQ, I can say the HD PQ is on a par with Directv and the SD is better than Directv as the Directv SD channels were very blurry and the Voom channels are clearer with no blurriness, I know this is different than what others have said about Voom SD, but I can only relate what I have experienced. I have seem some rare stuttering, but is only a minor inconvenience and appears to be much less severe than others have reported. I hope this helps!

Well i went to sears last night at the Oviedo mall to check out the PQ and stuttering first hand.
Found a sales person to show me the setup but VOOM tech was out and put in a password on the unit and they can't view all the channels.
So i asked to see which channels were viewable and nothing would come in not even the locals.
It had been raining through out the day and i don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Not sure if that a sign for me to stay away.
I'll go to Altamonte store today to see if theirs is working.

Went to aother sears store today in Altamonte and guess what???
Thier VOOM setup doesn't work either and has for a couple of weeks!
WOW, I guess i won't be buying into this thing right now after all.
Now i know how the fish that got away feels.

I went to Sears at Fashion Square before I ordered and I was not impressed. It was my impression though, it was more the staff there not knowing what they were doing than it was the Voom equipment. I decided to order though Voom's 800 number instead of dealing with Sears. They seem to be more interested in selling Dish Network equipment than they did Voom. As far as rain fade is concerned. I have 1 TV hooked up to Voom and 2 TV's to Directv. During the storms last week I lost my Voom signal for about 5 minutes and Directv signal for about 10 minutes, so I guess I have to give the nod to Voom on that one.

Anyone using Voom in W.Orlando?

Hello,

I'm thinking of dumping D** and replacing them with VOOM. My only concern is the service/quality in my area. Currently i'm close to Metro West but there is a possibility i may be moving to Winter Garden..close to Stoneybrook West.

Does anyone use Voom in either of those locations?
Any problems with local channels?
Would you recommend purchasing from Sears or contacting Voom directly?

Thanks!

dennis said:
Hello,

be moving to Winter Garden..close to Stoneybrook West.

Thanks!
Dennis - since no one really close to where you are has posted, i will. I am NW of where you are asking about, up above leesburg. so question #1-no #2 no problems with ota from 60 miles away from the orlando antenna farm which is at christmas except for the WB which is cleremont, but inline with my azimuths. CBS sucks, their tranmissions in HD just don't make it here, but its more to do with their power levels than the voom stb. #3 save your gas money hunting a sears that is set up and competent. if you find one you are "very" lucky and should be rewarded with a years vavavoom subscription. anything else let me know, i've been hooked up since dec and v* is my sole provider.

Thanks Sandpit!

Sandpit, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I did make a trip to my local Sears (west oaks mall). Boy was that a waste of time :shocked

Voom was connected, but the receiver was recently replaced and the info had not completely downloaded as of yet. I did however find two interesting tidbits of info from the sales guy

a)They've never sold Voom to a customer at that location.
b)Everyone asks for ESPN- he was not aware of the new agreement to broadcast ESPN.

Taking The plunge

Ok, I'm Taking the plunge and signed up for VoOM.
Spoke with a CSR last week that said i could get the 30" dish and seperate lines for OTA, now this week they say no 30" dish for my area and the sererate OTA line is up to the installer.
I did get them to give me a credit for the installer fishing the line down the wall.
I figure if rain fade and OTA reception becomes poor i'll just disconnect since it's not costing me anything to install.

Install is set for 6/1 between 8am-12pm.
Hopefully they'll get it done quick.
They must have a lot of installs in the area to have to schedule 3 weeks out.
I'll post back what the expierence is like.

dennis said:
Hello,

I'm thinking of dumping D** and replacing them with VOOM. My only concern is the service/quality in my area. Currently i'm close to Metro West but there is a possibility i may be moving to Winter Garden..close to Stoneybrook West.

Thanks!

Dennis,
I am new to this board, but have been lurking for a while...

I decided to take the plunge after seeing the $0 down infomercial...

I live in Stoneybrook West, and my install is scheduled for May 28th!!! I can't wait!!!

Anyway, I will post up my thoughts about the OTA reception ASAP...
That should still give you a day to order before the deadline...

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)