This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

CES 2011 Preview: 3D TVs

I'm very excited with the newest release of JVC 3D projectors starting at $4500. I know JVC doesn't show at CES now for quite a few years but they have off show floor demos in private invites at usually the Mandalay bay conference center.

Have you heard anything, Don?

I am waiting for 240Hz 3D projectors: 120 Hz per eye shutter speed.
60Hz per eye is just not good enough for me - it gives me headache.

I was more concerned with the JVC weight. It is a 32 Lb PJ I have to hang from a ceiling span of 15 ft. Worried the weight may sag it over time. Heaviest PJ I have mounted was a BenQ at 20 pounds.

Illya- Which 120 Hz Projector did you watch that gave you a headache?

Don. The JVC can be had for a lot less from AVS.

From what I have read the FI is very unstable on the JVC while watching 2D. That is about the only negative that I have read on the JVC projectors. No dust blobs and the brightness are better in a calibrated mode that most front projectors are a big plus.

The brightness dims a good bit (around 200 lumens) with 3D glasses. I am not interested in 3D but if I were I would not jump on the first generation 3D projectors and wait and let the bugs get ironed out for next year or the year after.

FI? I'm drawing a blank! I've heard excellent reports on it and so far, better than the $10,000 Sony.
Been a member at AVS since day one and am a lifetime AVS Gold member. I'm well aware of their excellent pricing, especially to Gold members. I buy most of my HT stuff from AVS for the past 12 years. The dimming is being reported to be at about 20% of full brightness but in a dark room, it is quite acceptable brightness. In fact the lumins being reported are similar to what I used to get on my first DLP from Dwin. The JVC's full brightness is actually too bright for comfort so when viewing in 2D the newest owners say it is run dimmed down anyway. I wonder if the bulb life is shortened due to high volume of time in 3D mode since the bulb is pumped up to compensate.

From someone who calibrated the JVC RS40:

FI= Frame Interpolation

Last edited:
expensive overpriced gimmic IMO. every few years they dream up something and some nonsense reasons why you need it to keep hardware prices high.

Yes, Vurb, we know you don't like anything new. Now go back and enjoy your TV set and let us CES attendees enjoy the latest too.

Vurbano's good enough TV set-

Attachments

• RCATV.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 230
From someone who calibrated the JVC RS40:

FI= Frame Interpolation

Thanks. I still need to do some reading in those long threads at AVS but so far the RS40 seems to fit other criteria, especially the budget I have saved for my upgrade. One thing to recognize is that for years the goal of FP owners and manufacturers, is to attempt to make FP home theater work in bright daylight. That has never been my goal and I don't mid watching a movie in complete dark room. I do still plan to add a 65" LED/LCD screen, likely a Samsung 3D behind the roll down FP screen for daylight viewing. With the JVC and other FP 3D now hitting the market at affordable prices, I have just switched priorities. I also hear Epson may have something out in the Spring so I'm looking at that too. I now am using an Epson 8500 and really like it.

PS your reference didn't state what size or type screen he took his measurements on. Surprised as that is very important factor. My current screen size is 92" width in it's smallest configuration.

Not sure the size or gain but it seems the HP screen (I have one and love it) is and will be very popular if your setup can handle this type of screen. Here is a post from someone that works for JVC. Maybe this info will be helpful.

Right now I don't have it in the budget for a new screen and plan on using my Matte white which works fine, even with my old CRT which was very low brightness. If the screen is too dim for 3D, I'll just need to spring for the new screen. I was going to upgrade 3 years ago and decided to wait. Glad I did as today, 3D will dictate what I will need. Thanks for your posts.