CES 2011 Preview: 3D TVs

I'm very excited with the newest release of JVC 3D projectors starting at $4500. I know JVC doesn't show at CES now for quite a few years but they have off show floor demos in private invites at usually the Mandalay bay conference center.

Have you heard anything, Don?

I am waiting for 240Hz 3D projectors: 120 Hz per eye shutter speed.
60Hz per eye is just not good enough for me - it gives me headache.

I was more concerned with the JVC weight. It is a 32 Lb PJ I have to hang from a ceiling span of 15 ft. Worried the weight may sag it over time. Heaviest PJ I have mounted was a BenQ at 20 pounds.

Illya- Which 120 Hz Projector did you watch that gave you a headache?

Don. The JVC can be had for a lot less from AVS.

From what I have read the FI is very unstable on the JVC while watching 2D. That is about the only negative that I have read on the JVC projectors. No dust blobs and the brightness are better in a calibrated mode that most front projectors are a big plus.

The brightness dims a good bit (around 200 lumens) with 3D glasses. I am not interested in 3D but if I were I would not jump on the first generation 3D projectors and wait and let the bugs get ironed out for next year or the year after.

FI? I'm drawing a blank! I've heard excellent reports on it and so far, better than the $10,000 Sony.
Been a member at AVS since day one and am a lifetime AVS Gold member. I'm well aware of their excellent pricing, especially to Gold members. I buy most of my HT stuff from AVS for the past 12 years. The dimming is being reported to be at about 20% of full brightness but in a dark room, it is quite acceptable brightness. In fact the lumins being reported are similar to what I used to get on my first DLP from Dwin. The JVC's full brightness is actually too bright for comfort so when viewing in 2D the newest owners say it is run dimmed down anyway. I wonder if the bulb life is shortened due to high volume of time in 3D mode since the bulb is pumped up to compensate.

From someone who calibrated the JVC RS40:

FI= Frame Interpolation

Cine4Home said:
Yes, you analysis is sort of right, congratulation! ;)

Here is the "Light-Break-Down":

1200 Lumens max without any Color correction at all (-40% Red)

---> 800 - 900 Lumens at 8000K
------> 400 - 450 Lumens in 3D mode (on the screen)
----------> 150-165 Lumen in 3D (behind the glasses)

---> 700 - 810 Lumens in 2D with D65 calibration.

All values in lamp Hi mode of course.

Hope this clears it out now.

Best regards,
Ekkehart

Last edited:
expensive overpriced gimmic IMO. every few years they dream up something and some nonsense reasons why you need it to keep hardware prices high.

Yes, Vurb, we know you don't like anything new. Now go back and enjoy your TV set and let us CES attendees enjoy the latest too.

Vurbano's good enough TV set-

Attachments

• RCATV.jpg
    RCATV.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 230
From someone who calibrated the JVC RS40:

FI= Frame Interpolation

Thanks. I still need to do some reading in those long threads at AVS but so far the RS40 seems to fit other criteria, especially the budget I have saved for my upgrade. One thing to recognize is that for years the goal of FP owners and manufacturers, is to attempt to make FP home theater work in bright daylight. That has never been my goal and I don't mid watching a movie in complete dark room. I do still plan to add a 65" LED/LCD screen, likely a Samsung 3D behind the roll down FP screen for daylight viewing. With the JVC and other FP 3D now hitting the market at affordable prices, I have just switched priorities. I also hear Epson may have something out in the Spring so I'm looking at that too. I now am using an Epson 8500 and really like it.

PS your reference didn't state what size or type screen he took his measurements on. Surprised as that is very important factor. My current screen size is 92" width in it's smallest configuration.

Not sure the size or gain but it seems the HP screen (I have one and love it) is and will be very popular if your setup can handle this type of screen. Here is a post from someone that works for JVC. Maybe this info will be helpful.

cdeutsch said:
Hi Guys,

Just a quick comment to clear up a few things that have been posted.

JVC does not specify the color temperature at which the lumen measurement is made. Anyone who tells you otherwise, does not have their facts right. Having said that, the factory was very clear that the lumen measurement this year is done using the same methods and the same settings as that in previous years. I also think that most people that have seen the new generation and compared it to the older generations will agree that there is a very visible increase in brightness.

While we're talking about color temperature, keep in mind that there can be a big difference between 6500K and D65. As someone pointed out to me recently, 6500K is simply a line on a graph. D65 is a very specific point on that line.

Also, keep in mind that the lamp is rated for 3,000 hours (using standard lamp mode. If you use high lamp exclusively, plan on about 2,000). That is based on the 1/2 life of the lamp. I spoke with one of our senior engineers last week just to confirm that nothing has changed, and he said it is still correct. This means, that at 3,000 hours, the lamp will be down to 50% of it's original brightness.

By the way, I'll add in all the usual disclaimers. Every lamp situation is different. The break-in period is very crucial. Decreases in brightness are usually not linear. After about 100 hours, things stabilize pretty nicely. Power failures during operation are a bad thing and affect lamp life in a negative way (sometimes very negative). Individual usage patterns absolutely affect how long your lamp will last. The lamp is considered a consumable item, so you may or may not get 3,000 hours out of your lamp. This year, more so than in the past, people will use a blend of standard lamp mode for 2D and high lamp mode for 3D, which will also impact the number of hours you actually get. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Yes, to get full brightness you need high lamp, open aperture and short throw. Of course, as pretty much everyone understands, those are all exactly what you don't want for maximum contrast. The point is you can install the projector to match the requirements of your room and your viewing preferences. A lot of people pick a setup that is somewhere in the mid-range of both.

Having said that, my personal experience leads me to believe that there is no reason to worry about being down to only 400 lumens after just 500 hours of viewing.

Lastly, I'm very happy to see that the vast majority of posts from people who have taken delivery of these projectors seem to be very, very happy with their purchase. That's the thing that matters the most.

Chris

Right now I don't have it in the budget for a new screen and plan on using my Matte white which works fine, even with my old CRT which was very low brightness. If the screen is too dim for 3D, I'll just need to spring for the new screen. I was going to upgrade 3 years ago and decided to wait. Glad I did as today, 3D will dictate what I will need. Thanks for your posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts