CES 2013: 3D TV Is Dead, Long Live 4K

As long as they keep releasing 3D Bluray titles am good with that. My 60" Panny 3D rox!!! Oh and Directv's 3D channels too.. including ESPN 3D :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

It is not that 3D is going to go away, it is just that 3D is no longer a selling point of TVs. TV manufacturers cannot use it as a selling point to charge extra. Consumers now just view it as a standard feature on a TV that they may or may not use.

There is a lot of 3D on the show floor, in fact about just as much as we have seen in the past few years. The issue here is that that 3D was the big buzzword for 2 years and it was time for a new buzzwork, which they year was 4K or Ultra HD.

I actually think after looking around 3D is now considered as more mainstream, and now 4K is the next thing you got to have. Only issue is not only the cost for ultra HD but there is NO CONTENT for the home consumer yet.

One needed to get outside the Dish Network booth to observe and learn about how the 3D content is currently being done and will be expanding on that delivery over the next 6 months. I learned from the manufacturers that 4K content will be the fastest release of any to date.

I agree that few people, especially those in the press are aware of these new distribution plans. If the press corp would get off their asses and open up their ears for a change, listen to what the manufacturers are trying to tell them, the public may just get the truth for a change rather than some reporters personal agenda shoved down our throats!

Like Dfergie, I too get annoyed at all the lies and negativity on anything new, not just 3D. How about just report the facts. Even on the satelliteguys radio show there was a guest who offered complete misinformation about the 3D industry. I was jaw dropped and then just decided we had another guest with a negative agenda. Scott, be glad you had trouble with the phones as I was eager to rebut your one guest on the facts, not just on 3D, but on content, 4k, sound bars and a whole host of other misleading statements, like lack of support for the professionals. Actually, if he would attend NAB he would have known that the support for professionals is about 100 times what it is for consumers on 3D. Anyway, rant hat off...

Back to the 4K delivery problem: it is a fact that Sony was the leader in the development of 4K 84" TV. It was forst to market and market it responsibly with a content plan. Recognizing that they needed content began to setup a plan to deliver 4k in several formats. The first one was delivered with every one of the 4K TVs . It was a server loaded with 10 4k movies for customers to watch with their new purchase. This server will soon be able to connect to the Internet and download more 4K content for purchase from Sony Pictures. Later this summer, Sony will be announcing 4K native content on optical disk for purchase. This is just from Sony so as one rep put it, the press is quite wrong that content is nowhere to be found. Content is in the planning to be released along with the new lower cost 4k 3D TVs. They problem is the ignorant press refuse to report this, rather love to cast lies that content doesn't exist.
We also have the current testing being done with the joint venture between Netflix and Samsung. New codecs are being tested to keep the 4K quality and reduce the bandwidth hit.

Look, Sony isn't the lowest price stuff in 3D and 4K but we can rest assured that with Sony, we will get complete support and a total package. I love the LG 4k 3D 65" and expect it will price beat Sony, but with LG, I may be on my own for a few months for content if I buy before Sony does their disk releases. Regardless, by the time any of these sets hit the market, the content will begin to flow. I think I can take that to the bank!

Ummmm the media has been saying this for 3 years, 3D is here to stay and is displayed proudly at all the major booths ...
3D haters move on and leave us the heck alone, stay in your 2D world...

Don- I have a new way of stating the two camps, Flatworld people, and Realworld people. The real world is 3D, the Flat world was before Columbus. :D

Well, Don, I think the Forbes article author (whoever he or she was) agrees with you on 4K. But if I understand what you and Scott told me, he/she was in serious error declaring 3D at CES "dead". He/she even had something good to say about his 3D Hobbit experience. I just read the article again, and there is nothing there about content being absent.

The Krell- I was referencing Scott's comment in big all caps, "NO CONTENT" which is completely untrue. The 4 k content was delivered with each 4k Sony 84" set sold to date that was the server with 10 4k movies. I realize that this is not 100,000 titles yet, but considering the short time we have had delivery on 4k, at least Sony is doing a good job of making sure content is not the issue. The only other 4K TVs delivered were the LG 84" and here you are on your own but not for long. I really don't believe that a few months after the 55" and 65" sets hit the retail stores you won't see titles available in some form, either optical or downloadable options.
In all fairness to Scott's comment regarding content, he just didn't get the right information. True, if you ask a Dish Network rep, in most cases you will get a negative outlook since that has been how Dish people respond to any question on stuff they don't offer. While LG doesn't have a solution on their own they ae quick to tell you that by the time their. 55" and 65" sets hit the shelves there will be titles available. Like Sony said, they don't have to go remaster most of the newer titles as the masters are already in a 4k format. They just need to determine how to package the 4k distribution versions of existing titles.

So what IS dead this year at CES?

CRT projection systems. Last year there was still one company showing a CRT. This year none!

Passive 3D projector systems. Last year there were several, this year, none.

DILA projectors, JVC showed their 3 models but no demo theater. Near death.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)